Rules Question

Team A has committed 8 fouls and has possession. Team A shoots the ball. The shot rebounds towards a Team B player. Team A pushes Team B before Team B gets the rebound.

Is this considered an offensive foul?

also

Has anyone ever heard of a 'No possession, player control foul'

Team A has committed 8 fouls and has possession. Team A shoots the ball. The shot rebounds towards a Team B player. Team A pushes Team B before Team B gets the rebound.

Is this considered an offensive foul?

also

Has anyone ever heard of a 'No possession, player control foul'

No offensive foul. Team B should shoot the bonus.

I've never heard of a "no possession, player control foul," and greatly doubt it exsists. My defination of a player control foul included the player with the ball commiting the foul. Hope this helps.

I am not 100% positive but I believe there is now a "team-control foul", which is an off the ball foul. This may have been the call and free throws are not shot just as in a player control foul.

While you are correct that there is a team control foul, its not an option once the ball is shot. Team control ends at that point. As Sandman said, if B were in the bonus, B would be shooting FTs as a result of this foul.

A team control foul might be something like A2 setting a moving pick/illegal screen or during a loose ball A2 pushes B2 while going for the ball. No FTs.

While you are correct that there is a team control foul, its not an option once the ball is shot. Team control ends at that point. As Sandman said, if B were in the bonus, B would be shooting FTs as a result of this foul.

A team control foul might be something like A2 setting a moving pick/illegal screen or during a loose ball A2 pushes B2 while going for the ball. No FTs.

Clyde, are you certain regarding the second example you gave (player A2 pushes B2 while going for a loose ball.) I'm quite certain I've seen this scenario several times this year, and FTs were shot.

Clyde, are you certain regarding the second example you gave (player A2 pushes B2 while going for a loose ball.) I'm quite certain I've seen this scenario several times this year, and FTs were shot.

I'm sure. As long as its not a loose ball on the rebound after a shot the offense still remains in control. So, the loose ball foul is a team control foul . You never shoot FTs on a team control foul.

You'll see refs miss this one.

I am not 100% positive but I believe there is now a "team-control foul", which is an off the ball foul. This may have been the call and free throws are not shot just as in a player control foul.

New rules two years ago in federation rules.

I'm sure. As long as its not a loose ball on the rebound after a shot the offense still remains in control. So, the loose ball foul is a team control foul . You never shoot FTs on a team control foul.

You'll see refs miss this one.

I agree you never shoot FT's on any team control foul. I have seen a few miss this one as well.

This moment happened when I was reffing a few weeks ago and I honestly did not know what to do.

I throw the ball to the free throw shooter who is shooting the first of two free throws. He dribbles twice. He dribbles a third time and bounces the ball off of his foot.

Do we keep counting to ten?

If he runs after it, is it a lane violation?

IF another player runs after it, is it a lane violation?

I instinctively told one of the player to retrieve and return the ball.

Did I blow this one?

This moment happened when I was reffing a few weeks ago and I honestly did not know what to do.

I throw the ball to the free throw shooter who is shooting the first of two free throws. He dribbles twice. He dribbles a third time and bounces the ball off of his foot.

Do we keep counting to ten?

If he runs after it, is it a lane violation?

IF another player runs after it, is it a lane violation?

I instinctively told one of the player to retrieve and return the ball.

Did I blow this one?

In high school, its a violation as soon as he loses the ball unless it stays within the circle.

If it was simply a mishandle on the pass from you, get it and do it over. Otherwise, the FT is over.

Guest American Skier

You are right. Free throws should have been shoot. If the foul occurs on a jump ball; a throw in; or on a shot attempt for a rebound; if thye team that was fouled was in the bonus, then free throws are awarded. I am certain about this rule.

You are right. Free throws should have been shoot. If the foul occurs on a jump ball; a throw in; or on a shot attempt for a rebound; if thye team that was fouled was in the bonus, then free throws are awarded. I am certain about this rule.

That's not the scenario Colonel and I were discussing.

If Team A has the ball and a loose ball occurs (without a shot attempt) and Team A fouls during the loose ball there are NO foul shots.

If you own a rulebook, look up the definiton of "team control" and then look at the section that describes foul shots on a team control foul.

What is "shot attempt for a rebound?"