St. Henry 64 Dixie 42

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

OK....I looked back through the thread and it was said he is a hold back. So he is better than average 8th grade player!! I think the question I originally asked was why should a 5A school look to middle school participation unless the middle school student is a phenom. I'm not seeing the phenominal aspect of his game. He doesn't hurt, but hasn't brought them to the brink of greatness either. I was questioning why Dixie has so little participation from it's direct student body.

I agree with this question, a school the size of Dixie, with almost every extra-curricular group (from track to soccer to band to glee-club) busting at the seems has to bring in a middle school player?

I can buy Holmes bringing an 8th grader, who attends school on campus. I also have no problem with bringing in exceptional middle schoolers to play Freshman and possible late season JV ball. I have a problem with going out of the building(s) to find help when you have an enrollment the size of the Dixie's.

So does Trammel hold any value since he is apparently the same age?

Trammel is there best player.period He and Zeke are the same age and 2years older than Brandon. Those three will carry Dixie in the future along with a very strong Freshman Group.

Why is it a problem?

If you're referring to the problem of not enough players to fill a team, I'll address it.

I think the lack of participation at Dixie, as well as a host of other schools is indicative of other problems. I still remember seeing parents and families for EVERY CHILD ON THE BENCH, EVERY NIGHT. Now you're hard pressed to find 10 parents there at some schools.

Last night I watched the Newport / Dayton Girls. AT NEWPORT. Dayton brought nearly 100 fans, mostly adults. Newport turned out about 30 students. I realize that #1 this is a boy's thread and that #2 boys typically carry a greater following, but where is the participation. However, I've been to plenty of Dixie games and seen the sold out gym... I've also been to plenty where there were more dust bunnies on the floor than fans in the seats. If parents aren't going to involve themselves with their child's interests, don't expect to see them in tryouts in the fall.

I also attribute a lot of this to increased AAU expectations. Kids that may develop later are learning early that they will not have the H.S. sports experience that they want. They may have an off the wall coach with little or no formal training or may have one that thinks Bob Kinght had the right approach (I've seen both).

Some lack the confidence to be a third string player and some just don't have the work ehtic to deal with it... I put it back to the parents. Take the time to develop your kids, not just their game -- then support it till the bitter end.:banana:

Back to the game for a second.... this is a pretty big blow out. Just by going off of scores, does Villa have a chance to beat Dixie on Friday? I know it's probably a long shot, but it looks like on KHSAA that Villa only lost to St. Hank by 8. That game is at Villa. Could it be possible? Will Lloyd get the two seed in the district? When St. Herny moved in, you just assume that them and Dixie will be one and two every year. This could get interesting.

Back to the game for a second.... this is a pretty big blow out. Just by going off of scores, does Villa have a chance to beat Dixie on Friday? I know it's probably a long shot, but it looks like on KHSAA that Villa only lost to St. Hank by 8. That game is at Villa. Could it be possible? Will Lloyd get the two seed in the district? When St. Herny moved in, you just assume that them and Dixie will be one and two every year. This could get interesting.

Trammel is going to have his hands full with Bryan. If he gets in early foul trouble again Villa could pull this out. With that being said Dixie should never lose to Villa

Bryan will be the best player on the floor and it won't be close. Can he lead them to victory? I'd have to lean towards Dixie but I would not be surprised to see VMA win.

Score doesn't really tell the whole story.....Dixie would have been in the game had they made free throws....and in the second half of the game the refs went whistle crazy. At the end of the 3rd quarter there were 20!! fouls called and then came the 4th quarter!!

The score does not tell the entire Villa/St. Henry game either. St. Henry is a different team now compared to the game against Villa. If St. Henry makes free throw vs. Villa they win by 15 - 20. Thats one of many things they have improved on since the Villa game.

I completely agree. Hatton is a Covington boy and grew up in that elementary feeder system, if I'm not mistaken. His family just recently moved to the Turkeyfoot/Dixie schooling district, which is why I said don't be surprised if he doesn't stay there for his freshamn through senior year.

Also, not sure how much it would affect a decision to switch schools, but Hatton and Mcclendon of Holmes are VERY GOOD friends and grew up playing AAU together with the Tarheels. From what I understand, both are top 10 players for their class (8th and 7th grade) and would make Holmes a legit title contender not only in the 9th, but statewide if they end up playing together in high school. Just something to watch over the next few years. But then again, I could be way off base.

I just don't see Hatton at back at Holmes Eta.. He may, but If he wanted to be there I think he already would be. JMO

I just don't see Hatton at back at Holmes Eta.. He may, but If he wanted to be there I think he already would be. JMO

I thought the same thing, which is why I said I may be way off base in the post you quoted. Was just throwing it out there that he has Holmes' ties and it wouldn't surprise me if he did end up back down in Covington.