Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Who's the better coach?

Who's the better coach? 90 members have voted

  1. 1. Who's the better coach?

    • Billy Gillispie
      56%
    • Tom Crean
      43%

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Featured Replies

In looking up stats on these guys, I was a little suprised to see that Gillispie has never held a job longer than 4 years in his 30 year coaching career.

 

And he's taken a step up each time. I'd say thats a pretty good sign.

 

Also consider he was under Bill Self from 1997-2002.

  • Replies 148
  • Views 15.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
He has, but I ask this question....Is Marquette a more attractive place to play than Texas A&M? I think it is. I voted for Gillispie because I believe he has a slight advantage in recruiting. He's brought in the likes of Patterson, Jones, Carter, DeAndre Jordan (although he didn't play for him), Orton, Hood, Liggins, Miller, etc. Crean has brought in Wade, Novak, James, Hayward, Diener, & McNeal....I may be biased, but I think it's really close.

 

Marquette in CUSA without an invite to the Big East yet like the first half of his career there or Big 12 A&M???

He has, but I ask this question....Is Marquette a more attractive place to play than Texas A&M? I think it is.

 

I disagree there. If Marquette is/was more attractive, its only because of the coach. If anything, A&M was in the Big12 while Marquette was CUSA.

I disagree there. If Marquette is/was more attractive, its only because of the coach. If anything, A&M was in the Big12 while Marquette was CUSA.

So was Memphis, Louisville, and Cincy. But all three are considered basketball schools. Marquette has a title.

 

Texas A&M was the armpit of college hoops until Billy G arrived.

I didn't say he was clearly better, just said he hasn't accomplished more, which there is no denying.

 

I wasn't referring to you, I think RP was the one who said he was clearly better earlier in the thread.

I wasn't referring to you, I think RP was the one who said he was clearly better earlier in the thread.

It was RP and I would love to hear the argument for either one being clearly better. If you look up their stats at best it is a toss up. But I think you can make the case that it's BG before you could claim it is Crean. Not that it would a very good argument.

I would take Crean all day every day.

I went with Gillispie...but, at this point, there's little difference in them, IMO.

 

The one thing I liked about Gillispie is the fact that he turned two schools around before coming to UK...UTEP and Texas A & M.

 

Crean's biggest plus is that he has a Final Four on his resume.

 

I could see picking either. And, the first one of these guys to start having some real success at his current job will be the one who jumps ahead in this discussion.

One more thing that will shed some light on this...

 

Gillispie has never stayed at a school long enough to completely put his stamp on it. He's never had a roster completely made up of guys he recruited and signed. Let's see what he does when he reaches that point...

I could see picking either. And, the first one of these guys to start having some real success at his current job will be the one who jumps ahead in this discussion.

If Crean has some real success before Billy does then this debate will be a thing of the past, Billy might be as well.

If Crean has some real success before Billy does then this debate will be a thing of the past, Billy might be as well.

 

:thumb:

 

Definitely...

I would have to say Gillispie but Crean falls right behind.

 

 

 

 

 

 

And yes I did vote for Gillispie because I have actually met Crean (never BCG). Crean is a bit of a head case if you ask me.

So was Memphis, Louisville, and Cincy. But all three are considered basketball schools. Marquette has a title.

 

Texas A&M was the armpit of college hoops until Billy G arrived.

 

:thumb: Agreed. BG brought players to a&M that they never had before. It was his skill to get them to mesh and play as a team in the B12. I give the nod to BG

I don't see how someone can make a complete and honest assumption about either..

Tom Crean has been at IU for not even a full season and BCG has been at UK for almost a season and a half. Ask this question in another two seasons..

Where is this recruiting edge so many are claiming for Gillispie? Patterson? Joe Jones? What am I missing???

 

Some say he put the 05 runner up Illinois team together.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.