Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Who's the better coach?

Who's the better coach? 90 members have voted

  1. 1. Who's the better coach?

    • Billy Gillispie
      56%
    • Tom Crean
      43%

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Featured Replies

Crean or Gillispie?

 

I was gonna say in game but let's go overall, who's the better coach.

 

Use whatever criteria you want and I'm not even gonna ask you to defend your position, just try and be objective.

  • Replies 148
  • Views 15.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well UK could have had Crean if they wanted him, right?

I view them both in the same light. Both are obviously above average coaches but I don't think either one of them are anything special. They both have consistently good teams but never seem to do too much except for when they have that one special player. I think they will both have great careers at IU/UK because their recruiting will prosper because of a good name and a great program. You can flip a coin imo as to who will have a better resume at the end of their career.

Well UK could have had Crean if they wanted him, right?

That doesn't mean anything.

  • Author
Well UK could have had Crean if they wanted him, right?

How does that matter?

  • Author
That doesn't mean anything.

:thumb:

That doesn't mean anything.

 

How does that matter?

 

Technically, I guess it means that UK thought BCG was better, but it is irrelevant for the context of this discussion.

 

It's hard to say who is a better coach. I'd lean towards BCG because he has proven (twice) that he can turn around a team.

 

I am no Tom Crean expert; how inaccurate would it be to say that he has ridden the coattails of one player in his successes (D. Wade and D. James)? Granted, he does deserve some credit for recruiting them.

Technically, I guess it means that UK thought BCG was better, but it is irrelevant for the context of this discussion.

 

Not necessarily. It could just mean he was the better fit for the program, plus we don't know all the details of the hiring anyways. Ex: Auburn football

Not necessarily. It could just mean he was the better fit for the program, plus we don't know all the details anyways. Ex: Auburn football

You may be right- as I was typing my post, I thought that BCG's experience in turning teams around may have made him more attractive to UK

You may be right- as I was typing my post, I thought that BCG's experience in turning teams around may have made him more attractive to UK

I'm not saying it's one way or the other, just that there are many factors that go into hiring a coach.

Well I would give a slight edge to G in recruting and thats is probably debatable. But in game coach it is Crean. I would say it is pretty even IMO.

Personally, I have never thought of Crean as an above average coach. The D-Wade run is his only real claim to fame. However, BCG hasn't proved to be much better yet so it's probably kind of a toss up right now, but they both have great chances to separate themselves from each other in the upcoming seasons.

I give a slight edge to BG, but IMO there closer now than I thought they were two years ago.

They are very close I would say they are both pretty good coaches. BCG plays to many mind games for me though.

Crean has some Kentucky ties. He was an assisstant at WKU for four seasons.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.