Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Who's the better coach?

Who's the better coach? 90 members have voted

  1. 1. Who's the better coach?

    • Billy Gillispie
      56%
    • Tom Crean
      43%

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Featured Replies

I think it is a toss up, so I didn't vote.

  • Replies 148
  • Views 15.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think Gillispie is a better recruiter.

 

Tom Crean has already established himself, so I'd say Crean is the better coach overall.

 

With that said, I am glad that Kentucky got BCG instead of Crean.

 

 

What do you think about Gillispie's young commitments? Do you think these were wise decisions? It puts a lot of pressure on the young kids and negative criticism they don't deserve.

This one is too close to vote on for me. It's a toss up.

 

To be honest I don't feel either have proven themselves as anything special. I'd give G the edge in recruiting but Crean is the better in game coach. Both have a lot to prove and won't have a ton of time to get it done. IU and UK are both great places to make a name for yourself.

  • Author

What do you guys think the results of this poll would be if Gillispie were at Texas A&M and Crean were still at Marquette?

 

In other words, who has accomplished more truthfully, and has anyone voted for Gillispie simply b/c he's UK's coach?

 

Or think about it this way, there's no way you could say Gillispie accomlished more than Crean, so far, so what has BG done at UK to pass Crean?

Edited by 98NCCalum

Crean has made it to the final four. That's good enough for me. I'll take him.

Where is this recruiting edge so many are claiming for Gillispie? Patterson? Joe Jones? What am I missing???

What do you guys think the results of this poll would be if Gillispie were at Texas A&M and Crean were still at Marquette?

 

In other words, who has accomplished more truthfully, and haws anyone voted for Gillispie simply b/c he's UK's coach?

 

Or think about it this way, there's no way you could say Gillispie accomlished more than Crean, so far, so what has BG done at UK to pass Crean?

 

I admit I voted BCG because he coaches at UK, as I'm sure others did. Due to this, you may be right, but I still don't think Crean is "clearly" better.

  • Author

.624 to .660 winning percentages. In favor of Crean.

Where is this recruiting edge so many are claiming for Gillispie? Patterson? Joe Jones? What am I missing???

Josh Harrellson. Duh.

Josh Harrellson. Duh.

 

Shenanigans... :p

  • Author

In looking up stats on these guys, I was a little suprised to see that Gillispie has never held a job longer than 4 years in his 30 year coaching career.

  • Author
I admit I voted BCG because he coaches at UK, as I'm sure others did. Due to this, you may be right, but I still don't think Crean is "clearly" better.

I didn't say he was clearly better, just said he hasn't accomplished more, which there is no denying.

They're pretty even, IMO. I picked Gillispie because he doesn't coach at IU. :D

 

Crean:

194-100 (66%)

1 Final Four

1 NCAA 2nd Round

3 NCAA 1st Round

1 Conference Champ (CUSA - 02/03)

2 Coach of the Year (CUSA 02, 03)

 

Gillispie:

125-74 (62.8%)

1 Sweet 16

1 NCAA 2nd Round

2 NCAA 1st Round

1 Conference Champ (WAC - 03/04)

3 Coach of the Year (Big12 - 05,07 SEC - 08)

I didn't say he was clearly better, just said he hasn't accomplished more, which there is no denying.

 

He has, but I ask this question....Is Marquette a more attractive place to play than Texas A&M? I think it is. I voted for Gillispie because I believe he has a slight advantage in recruiting. He's brought in the likes of Patterson, Jones, Carter, DeAndre Jordan (although he didn't play for him), Orton, Hood, Liggins, Miller, etc. Crean has brought in Wade, Novak, James, Hayward, Diener, & McNeal....I may be biased, but I think it's really close.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.