Need a little help with topic

My church is wanting to do a financial class for our members and the members of the community. The problem is there are a vast number of resources out there and we have no true direction. So, I have come here to see if anyone could give guidance to this endeavor.

There are criteria though before my church will carry through with this class.

1. The curriculum has to be Biblically Based
  2. The Curriculum has to reach all members of the congregation...i.e. young adult-through senior citizen

Please tell not only a source but why you would recommend it, if you would please.

Thanks in advance

Mr. F

Why does a class on finance have to be biblically based? What exactly is biblically based when it comes to finances?

I'd recommend Motley Fool.

I'd recommend Dave Ramsey for beginner finance info.

What is the goal of the class?

Why does a class on finance have to be biblically based? What exactly is biblically based when it comes to finances?

That is an excellent question

There are actually two goals for the classes:

The First Goal is to make the church and the Bible more relevent to the masses on a day to day bases.

The second goal for the classes to break down into small groups depending on age and teach people how to deal with finances, everything from debt management to estate planning.

As far as the biblically based question, I know God does speak about finances and the way we should handle things, but that is the extent of knowledge to date. It is my belief and my church that God does have a plan for each of us and his Word along with the Spirit will give me, you, everyone, guidence.

Looking for resources on this topic using the Bible falls in line with what the Church is trying to accomplish.

Edited by rockmom
fix quote

That is an excellent question

There are actually two goals for the classes:

The First Goal is to make the church and the Bible more relevent to the masses on a day to day bases.

The second goal for the classes to break down into small groups depending on age and teach people how to deal with finances, everything from debt management to estate planning.

As far as the biblically based question, I know God does speak about finances and the way we should handle things, but that is the extent of knowledge to date. It is my belief and my church that God does have a plan for each of us and his Word along with the Spirit will give me, you, everyone, guidence.

Looking for resources on this topic using the Bible falls in line with what the Church is trying to accomplish.

If your goal is to help people deal with financial issues such as debt manangement and estate planning then I don't see how the bible can help other than at a 30,000 foot level of "do right" "don't love money" etc. Great. Now how do I turn those into an estate plan??? There's my confusion.

I'll be curious to hear how it turns out for your group. Good luck.

Edited by rockmom
fix quote

Like Clyde, I'm a little confused why the financial class has to be biblically based.

Actually, if it has to be Biblically based, I'm not sure that I'd want to take the financial class.

This thought is very common and I respect that opinion a great deal. I wish I knew more to say something profound, but I don't. I wish all churches would tackle these types of issues that "Joe the Plummer" will face. I just believe that God does have all of our best interest in mind at all times, this is including the financial end.

Do I think that the Bible has the income bracket of which I bring home and will show me how to budget my money to become wealthy, if that is my goal, I doubt it, but maybe.

Do I believe that my attitude and the way approach the idea of material things need to change? More than likely.

Check out The Richest Man Who Ever Lived by Steven K. Scott. It's about King Solomon and his wealth.

My very religious aunt knew I was really into learning about the stock market and real estate and bought me this book. I didn't immediately want to read it due to the religious aspects of it but eventually did and I enjoyed it very much.

It doesn't deal directly with finances as far as saving your money and what type of investments you should make but deals more with keeping yourself in the right state of mind to be successful.

I doubt you'll be able to find a book or any type financial teachings that involve the bible.

Check out the book though, it's very good.

This thought is very common and I respect that opinion a great deal. I wish I knew more to say something profound, but I don't. I wish all churches would tackle these types of issues that "Joe the Plummer" will face. I just believe that God does have all of our best interest in mind at all times, this is including the financial end.

Do I think that the Bible has the income bracket of which I bring home and will show me how to budget my money to become wealthy, if that is my goal, I doubt it, but maybe.

Do I believe that my attitude and the way approach the idea of material things need to change? More than likely.

I think you (and your church) have good intentions. I'm just not convinced that the Bible is the guide to handle my financial resources.

And there's just something eerie about saying / typing that.

I think you (and your church) have good intentions. I'm just not convinced that the Bible is the guide to handle my financial resources.

And there's just something eerie about saying / typing that.

That is not the topic of this thread. Mr. Fundamental asked for assistance, not criticism.

The Dave Ramsey Financial Peace program is Biblically based, and very good if your goal is eliminating debt and building wealth. His baby steps are pretty simple to follow. (or I guess I should say, simple to understand, but also takes quite a bit of discipline to implement). JMO

The Dave Ramsey Financial Peace program is Biblically based, and very good if your goal is eliminating debt and building wealth. His baby steps are pretty simple to follow. (or I guess I should say, simple to understand, but also takes quite a bit of discipline to implement). JMO

I would agree that Dave Ramsey is as close as you can get to biblical finance. Start with one of his books.