Does College Football need Notre Dame

Skunk

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Notre Dame doesn't do anything for college football anymore except stir up controversy. Honestly the Big East should kick Notre Dame out of it's conference in every sport. I thought when all the moving a few years ago the Big East would force them in to play football with them. If I were running the Big East I would tell Notre Dame you play all your sports with us or none of them. But thats just a side rant from me.

Mixed emotions for me. My frustration for a long time was that ND often seemed to get selected to participate in bowls that should have included more deserving teams. Often ND would stink the joint up in those bowls. Hoowever, there is no question that college FB doesn't seem quite the same without the Irish being at least in the discussion as a powerhouse.

Does anyone know how long the NotreDame Broadcasting Company contract runs?

I grew up as a Notre Dame fan 2nd, UK fan 1st. They need to join a conference to become relevant again or at least start winning.

Does college football need ND? Years ago yes, ... now, not so much. The interest in college football is at a all time high IMHO and ND has not been a factor in this growth period. I would love to see them rise to prominence again and think it could boost college football even more. With the recruiting classes they have been getting, they should. But it doesn't look like it is coming anytime soon.

I grew up as a Notre Dame fan 2nd, UK fan 1st. They need to join a conference to become relevant again or at least start winning.

Does college football need ND? Years ago yes, ... now, not so much. The interest in college football is at a all time high IMHO and ND has not been a factor in this growth period. I would love to see them rise to prominence again and think it could boost college football even more. With the recruiting classes they have been getting, they should. But it doesn't look like it is coming anytime soon.

MountainThunder, where did you get that avatar. :scared:

I think that's Shearer (Texas Outland Trophy winner in '77) getting there too late again vs. Montana in the '78 Cotton Bowl. That was a :eek::scared::cry: for me. I have been a life long Texas fan (since '69) and that is one bad memory for me.

Now I've got to go back to therapy. Thanks Mountain. :lol:

Although I am not an ND fan, or hater for that matter, I think a successful ND would be a plus for college football, the same way a successful UK basketball team is a plus for college basketball. It may not be necessary but it would be a definite plus.

Does college football need Notre Dame? No. Is college football better with Notre Dame? Absolutely.

Notre Dame and Boston College are the only two Catholic schools left in major college football. It's no coincidence that it's the case given those two schools probably have more money than any other Catholic school (Georgetown is the only one I can think of that might be up there with BC but ND is unquestionably at the top). At any rate, in a sport dominated by huge state schools, I love that there are two schools out there challenging it.