CNN Reporter: Media did not vet Obama enough

http://www.businessandmedia.org/articles/2008/20081027164140.aspx

King said the media were too focused on Sen. Hillary Clinton’s bid for the Democratic nomination that they failed to properly vet Obama.

“I think there’s some very legitimate criticism that we did not treat all of the candidates in the Democratic race, but particularly the top two or three equally, because of the Clinton obsession in the national media,” King told host Mark Quinn. “It is a very fair point. We need to learn that lesson.”

“There is – I say this all the time and many in my business disagree with me, but one of the things I love about what I do is I travel,” King said. “And there are a lot of people who sit – they’re wonderful people. They’re well-intentioned, don’t get me wrong, but they sit in New York or Washington and they don’t come to South Carolina or North Carolina or Ohio or any other swing state out here and actually talk to human beings or watch what it’s like to stand outside of a factory that just shut down with people.”

According to King, the problem with the media coverage was they were too influenced by their surroundings and that changed their world view.

“And so their attitudes are influenced by the fact that they live in Washington or New York and they don’t travel enough,” King said. “And the criticism is that makes them elitist. I would just say sometimes there are some people who are very influential in our business who are somewhat out of touch.”

Did I miss something, or did he not say anything about Obama not being vetted enough?
Yes, apparently you did miss something.

King said the media were too focused on Sen. Hillary Clinton’s bid for the Democratic nomination that they failed to properly vet Obama.

Did I miss something, or did he not say anything about Obama not being vetted enough?
I agree Pat. This article discusses MANY things.

I would say you missed the FIRST SENTENCE!!!!!!!!!!!!

“I think there’s some very legitimate criticism that we did not treat all of the candidates in the Democratic race, but particularly the top two or three equally, because of the Clinton obsession in the national media,” King told host Mark Quinn. “It is a very fair point. We need to learn that lesson.”

I would say you missed the FIRST SENTENCE!!!!!!!!!!!!

King never said "We didn't vet Obama properly."

So you believe that King does not consider CNN as part of the mainstream media?

I think he is saying that the author of the story took King's direct quote, which doesn't include the word "vet" and creatively interpreted it to mean something that is not explicitly stated.

King said:

“I think there’s some very legitimate criticism that we did not treat all of the candidates in the Democratic race, but particularly the top two or three equally, because of the Clinton obsession in the national media.” “It is a very fair point. We need to learn that lesson.”

Author's statement:

King didn't say they failed to properly vet Obama. King's comments could have many meanings. He could have been referring to John Edwards' extramarital affair, which wasn't uncovered until well after Edwards had left the race.