Why is there a delay for some teams reporting their scores?

Sun Tzu

Commander and True Blue - what is the point of having an AD then? A football coach is hired to coach football and an AD is hired to take care of the administrative end of sports. To me reporting scores is the AD's job or his job to assign it to someone (other than the coaching staff).

Yes there are some administrative duties the head coach has to perform but the AD should shoulder as much of that responsibility as possible. The coaching staff has just coached a game and they have to get films ready for review and trade, make sure the guys get in and out of the locker room, put equipment away and other stuff. So why should the coaches also have to do something that the AD can do?

The AD should do it, but one of the coaches should be the back up. You know they are checking other team's scores anyway.

To me, this is the perfect job for the assistant athletic director. Check the scoreboards each morning and add the scores of games of your schools, regardless of home and away.

To be fair, Scribe, most schools I know of don't have an asst AD.

And the lack of scores being called in is placed squarely on the coaches shoulders. It's not fair, but that's the way it is.

My paper runs roundups of soccer and volleyball each night, along with golf and cross country results (if we get XC results in time before our 11:45 deadline). The AD isn't the one responsible for calling in the score and stats, but if we don't hear from a coach by a certain time, you can bet we'll be calling the AD to get on his/her coach to call us.

The "I forgot" excuse doesn't fly with me anymore because the coaches in my area know to call in results each night.

Commander and True Blue - what is the point of having an AD then? A football coach is hired to coach football and an AD is hired to take care of the administrative end of sports. To me reporting scores is the AD's job or his job to assign it to someone (other than the coaching staff).

Yes there are some administrative duties the head coach has to perform but the AD should shoulder as much of that responsibility as possible. The coaching staff has just coached a game and they have to get films ready for review and trade, make sure the guys get in and out of the locker room, put equipment away and other stuff. So why should the coaches also have to do something that the AD can do?

Why should the AD do something that the coach can do?

The policy is that the coach is responsible for seeing that it is done...meaning that he/she can assign this duty to an assistant coach or a statistician.

AD's have a great deal to do, also. They are responsible for paying the officials, seeing to the set up of the playing field or court, making sure that the gate money is taken care of, etc. Many times they may have two varsity events going on on the same night. They cannot attend both events, so he/she would have to call the head coach to get the score to call it in. This just saves a step.

I have made the call hundreds of times. Two minutes at most and you are finished.

Why should the AD do something that the coach can do?

The policy is that the coach is responsible for seeing that it is done...meaning that he/she can assign this duty to an assistant coach or a statistician.

AD's have a great deal to do, also. They are responsible for paying the officials, seeing to the set up of the playing field or court, making sure that the gate money is taken care of, etc. Many times they may have two varsity events going on on the same night. They cannot attend both events, so he/she would have to call the head coach to get the score to call it in. This just saves a step.

I have made the call hundreds of times. Two minutes at most and you are finished.

Some coaches are great about it; others don't want to share embarrassing results. A lot of times, coaches aren't working in the building, and are hard to get a hold of at their 9-to-5.

Some coaches are great about it; others don't want to share embarrassing results. A lot of times, coaches aren't working in the building, and are hard to get a hold of at their 9-to-5.

We are talking about the KHSAA/Riherds scoreboard, aren't we? This is an 800 number that you can call 24/7 and it takes 2 minutes. What does a coach not being in the building have to do with anything?

Sorry Tiger Fan but I don't see were it is the AD responsibility they have alot more to do than you think as someone has all ready said there are numerous other sports at schools now. It is the Head coaches responsibiltiy to assign that to some one else such as an assistant or the stat keeper it doesn't take that long to do it. It the responsibilty of the head coach and no one else sorry.:thumb: