Jackson Browne sues McCain, RNC over song in ad

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Toby is as much a real democrat, as I am a Pro-Life Conservative Christian.

I saw Toby on Glenn Beck a week or so ago and he is very much a proud democrat. The fact that he is an over board left leaner doesn't make him any less a democrat. What do you think makes a "REAL DEMOCRAT". Maybe that is a new thread.

Edited by Jumper_Dad

Maybe it is because I don't know Jackson Browne, but I can't see what he did to warrant criticism. He does have the right to his intellectual property. And for those hardcore conservatives how are criticizing him, private property rights are arguably the most important right that we can have.

On the other hand, I am sure he wouldn't be complaining if it was Obama- but I guess it is his right to complain/not complain about usage of his intellectual property.

Maybe it is because I don't know Jackson Browne, but I can't see what he did to warrant criticism. He does have the right to his intellectual property. And for those hardcore conservatives how are criticizing him, private property rights are arguably the most important right that we can have.

On the other hand, I am sure he wouldn't be complaining if it was Obama- but I guess it is his right to complain/not complain about usage of his intellectual property.

If the Ohio Republican Party used his song without permission, Browne should be suing the Ohio Republican Party. Suing McCain and the RNC, if they did not produce or pay for the ad, is a cheap political shot and has nothing to do with intellectual property rights.

If the Ohio Republican Party used his song without permission, Browne should be suing the Ohio Republican Party. Suing McCain and the RNC, if they did not produce or pay for the ad, is a cheap political shot and has nothing to do with intellectual property rights.

Exactly! :thumb:

I would think in all honesty Jackson should be happy his song was getting played again. I always liked that song but had forgotten about it. I wonder if there had been a spike in downloads since McCain started using it?

Many of the radio formats I listen to play it regularly. It's one of those defining songs of that era so I don't think he's "glad it is getting played again." My guess is he's done fine on those royalty checks.

One thing I've not found is the question of who else might be behind the suit. At one time Browne was managed I think by Irving Azoff. If he or David Geffen still have any legal entanglements with Browne, my guess would be they would be right behind this kind of lawsuit. Azoff is a guy who has made his mega millions off of representing people with big music catalogs ala the Eagles.