2008 Harlan County

3wishes

People from all over the county came out to support the Black Bears today. We may have to do this again. How about those Harlan County Ridge Runners staying up all night roasting those two hogs?! I've decided this is the only way to eat pork from now on! lol

This was a good send off for the boys to go to camp on.

Here's what you missed:

pigroast9.jpg

pigroast.jpg

I think they are going there next week.

I can't see Harlan County in the top 10. You could make a case for them, maybe, if they could find a way to win at Letcher Central.

Would you place them in a mountain top 10?

What affect, if any, do you think that rankings have on a team's psyche?

What affect, if any, do you think it will have on our team?

Letcher Central will be a very tough opponent to start the year off for the Black Bears. Coach Howard has been through the battles and has proven to be a winner on the football field. Will losing this game make or break our season? No. But, it sure would help if we can go over there and pull off the win.

Being ranked helps but it isn't what matters. What matters is getting better with each and every game. These kids have to go to camp tomorrow and get to know each other even better, get in better shape, get the offense and defense on the same page, stay healthy and come home and get ready for Knox Central.

Man, I can't wait!!!

No, not until they prove themselves.

I doubt it helps or hurts very much. I've heard players say you forget about things like that once the game starts.

I doubt it makes much difference. Confidence is important though, and I'm guessing they have built up some with the coaching staff they have and the fact they have put a lot of talent together. None of them are used to winning consistently though (at least on the high school level), and that isn't easy to establish.

I wish the boys from Harlan Co. the best of luck, but we all know that Bell Co. is the king of the mountains until someone beats them.

Give the Black Bears a little time and they should be playing Bell Co. pretty tough. Larkey/Hilton will always be a good rivalry.