NKY Vikings 12U Girls in Natl Championship

The NKY Vikings 12U girls basketball team is in the YBOA National Championship game tomorrow at 12:45pm. The tournament is being played in Florida.

The team is comprised of current & possible future Walton Verona players.

This team won the YBOA National Championship a couple of years ago and is the favorite to win their second tomorrow.

Good luck to the players & coaches in their quest for a 2nd National Title.

The NKY Vikings 12U girls basketball team is in the YBOA National Championship game tomorrow at 12:45pm. The tournament is being played in Florida.

This team won the YBOA National Championship a couple of years ago and is the favorite to win their second tomorrow.

Congrats to these fine athletes! My question is why YBOA and not AAU? sounds as though YBOA is not challenging enough so why not play AAU instead?

Congrats to these fine athletes! My question is why YBOA and not AAU? sounds as though YBOA is not challenging enough so why not play AAU instead?

They did win the state AAU tourny and they would probably have faired just as well in the AAU national, but the kids & parents elected to go somewhere more appealing than where the AAU national was going to be held.

They did win the state AAU tourny and they would probably have faired just as well in the AAU national, but the kids & parents elected to go somewhere more appealing than where the AAU national was going to be held.

So, it's about mom and dad wanting to vacation in FL? What a shame! Playing YBOA and AAU is night and day. The AAU champion would beat the YBOA champion by 20. No college coaches go to watch the YBOA Championships where every school attends the AAU Championship, yes even at this age level. I sat right next to UT Asst Head Coach, and still keep in touch w/him, at the 12U AAU National Championships.

If playing summer ball is about being seen by college coaches, this team should not worry where the AAU Nationals are being held but what college coaches will be possibly attending these championships.

I hope they do well! Scott Slavey, former Holmes player??

So, it's about mom and dad wanting to vacation in FL? What a shame! Playing YBOA and AAU is night and day. The AAU champion would beat the YBOA champion by 20. No college coaches go to watch the YBOA Championships where every school attends the AAU Championship, yes even at this age level. I sat right next to UT Asst Head Coach, and still keep in touch w/him, at the 12U AAU National Championships.

If playing summer ball is about being seen by college coaches, this team should not worry where the AAU Nationals are being held but what college coaches will be possibly attending these championships.

Scary, but I agree! :thumb:

Kids & parents would rather go to Florida than to Minnesota which was host of the 12U AAU Natl Tourny.

I do agree with you that AAU has more exposure for the kids, but I think the Vikings would hold more than their own against the 12U AAU National teams.

Yes, the same Scott Slavey that played for Holmes back in the early 80's. His daughter plays on the team.

What does this mean? Are you saying that there girls from other schools that play on this team that may transfer to Walton Verona? Interesting. :confused:

Kids & parents would rather go to Florida than to Minnesota which was host of the 12U AAU Natl Tourny.

I do agree with you that AAU has more exposure for the kids, but I think the Vikings would hold more than their own against the 12U AAU National teams.

Yes, the same Scott Slavey that played for Holmes back in the early 80's. His daughter plays on the team.

I disagree! I have been involved w/AAU for 7 yrs and watched very good KY teams play over those yrs. However, when they get to the AAU Nationals they never do well. Go to the AAU website and look at past championships, only one team ever did well and they ironically were made up of SK players for the most part.

By the way, I was in MN when I met the TN Asst Head Coach. Sometimes one must sacrifice to get to the next level. FL isn't that big of deal once you have been there once, IMO:thumb:

Winning an AAU Championship or even finishing in the top 16 is saying something, finishing in the top 10 of YBOA, big deal, who do you play! Sorry, just not a big fan of YBOA!

What a joke. These young ladies play their tails off representing Kentucky at a National Championship and WIN, and all you can do is complain that it was not at a high enough level. That is unbelievable to me.

Congratulations Lady Vikings. I am glad that you represented our state well.

:dancingpa

What does this mean? Are you saying that there girls from other schools that play on this team that may transfer to Walton Verona? Interesting. :confused:

I am sure that the post just meant that some of the girls are not yet in High School and therefor do not know where they are going. Quit being such a consipiracy theorist.

What a joke. These young ladies play their tails off representing Kentucky at a National Championship and WIN, and all you can do is complain that it was not at a high enough level. That is unbelievable to me.

Congratulations Lady Vikings. I am glad that you represented our state well.

:dancingpa

Excellent post. :thumb: