UK fans: Why do you think the 'Cats are above criticism and/or lampooning?

Jim Schue

Sure, but the 18-percenters (a number which I think is conservatively low, BTW) do a fantastic job of completely drowning out the rational folks.

Sure, the Cards have their nutsos. But they make up well below the 18 percent threshold, and are seriously outnumbered as well.

Please show me your data showing that 18% (or more since you think thats a conservative number) of UK fans are crazy, but a far smaller percentage of UofL fans are.

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What museum? Not sure what you're talking about.

The UK basketball museum is closing, and the UK haters are out in full force posting comments on the ESPN article.

Edited by swamprat

The UK basketball museum is closing, and the UK haters are out in full force posting comments on the ESPN article.

Why is it closing? Please don't say lack of funding, because if that's the case, it would be very sad, and shameful on the part of the UK boosters to let something like that happen.

Edited by swamprat

Please show me your data showing that 18% (or more since you think thats a conservative number) of UK fans are crazy, but a far smaller percentage of UofL fans are.

Oh, for God's sake. This post is a perfect example of what I'm talking about in this thread. :rolleyes:

Oh, for God's sake. This post is a perfect example of what I'm talking about in this thread. :rolleyes:

This post is a perfect example of you ignoring me calling you out. You're clearly biased against UK fans, and have no interest in having an unbiased conversation.

I like the rolly eye face too... :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

:banana::banana:

Sure, but the 18-percenters (a number which I think is conservatively low, BTW) do a fantastic job of completely drowning out the rational folks.

Well a rational person would never respond with outrage to a satirical article or minute criticisms, so it's real easy in cases like these to drown people out.

As to the question that was asked, I don't think they're above either, and I don't know why anyone would think that. But I'm like Original Rookie, I certainly don't care about trying to change the fans at this point. I've spent my life thus far knowing how most people felt about UK and getting lumped in with those types of fans in general, I've simply learned to live with it and root in my own way. It's why I try not to respond to threads like the call to arms we had or ones like this for that matter. Can't help myself sometimes.

Didn't like the reality of that answer I guess...

Nope. I actually had to go into work for a few hours.

Quick question. I can honestly say I've never been to UC's site. If you had to estimate, how many threads a day are started on the smack board, by UC fans, about OSU ?

Nope. I actually had to go into work for a few hours.

Quick question. I can honestly say I've never been to UC's site. If you had to estimate, how many threads a day are started on the smack board, by UC fans, about OSU ?

It the site that competes with mine, so I'm not there often. But in general it's a place the guy running the site created to relocate the influx of OSU flamers that infiltrated his board...

It the site that competes with mine, so I'm not there often. But in general it's a place the guy running the site created to relocate the influx of OSU flamers that infiltrated his board...

Not saying your wrong, I just don't see it in the UK/UL situation. Maybe it's different with UC/OSU.

All I was trying to say is that every fan base has it's idiots. UL has their share too. In fact, the number is large enough at UL to dedicate an entire forum to basically their hatred of UK. It's almost comical. Go to UL's rivals site and take a look at how many threads are currently open that involve UK. Then go to UK's site and take a look at how many threads are open that involve UL. For a bunch of lunatics, I think the numbers would surprise you.

Back to the original topic on this one.

I personally would never take the time out of my day to write a letter to someone over UK basketball. I love the wildcats but no one has offended me enough to actually take the time to respond to an article. Just not my style.

So I guess I can handle the criticism, take it with a grain of salt, and brush it off like I'm sure many others do.

I think you're pretty naive if you think it's only UK fans that send "hate mail' as you call it to columnists...

:thumb: ALL teams and schools have those type fans and are guilty of this as well. On BGP there are just more U.K. fans than others so naturally it seems that way. I have certainly read a lot of other crying an whining post as well. Not just in basketball but in all sports. JMO but the U.K. (all sports) and Ohio State football haters are the most vocal. I mostly try to have fun with it, only a very few times that I have really gotten upset and those were certainly not at some writer that prints something to "stir the pot" or has absolutely Zero knowledge of what they are saying......or both.

Yes, some U.K. fans are unreasonable and are idiots but no more than other fan bases and not as much as a couple of them.

Then there are those that are in a another class completely......they have no favorite (or will not say) and just slam U.K. and others :rolleyes: :lol:.

It's all about law of averages.... Kentucky has a huge fanbase that has endured alot of success over the years. Just like Alabama football fans, Ohio State football fans, etc... with the eyars of success comes being spoiled, and also comes fanatics who have lived, sleeped, and eaten their team's seasons.

Every fanbase has the fan who takes things too far... I am willing to bet gametime has even met a few UC fans who takes things wayyyy too serious, and I KNOW he has met Buckeye fans and, God help us, Notre Dame fans who have. What makes the difference is sheer numbers...with an increasingly larger fanbase comes increasingly more idiotic fans who stand out above the others and get noticed.

We mentioned the "18 percenters"... just remember 18% of 100,000 fans is a whole lot less than 18% of 1,000,000 fans.

I am as diehard of a UK fan as you will find, I read everything I can about them, I get on message boards and discuss them, I never miss a football or basketball game... but even I am appauled sometimes at how far UK fans take things. The conspiracy theories, the death threats, etc...

But even you Jim can admit that there have been people who will purposely make comments because they know that the UK fans backlash will give them attention, ratings, web hits, or whatever they want....