UK fans: Why do you think the 'Cats are above criticism and/or lampooning?

Jim Schue

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

JimSchue: I think many defend what they love. Some unreasonably, but many of my fellow UK fans do take criticism as a personal attack. However, I don't think they are the only fans who do this, ... we just happen to live close enough to hear about it. Also, writers should not be immune from criticism should they? Sometimes, I think many UK fans question the motives of some writers and question the source. However, sometimes, I think some fans are unreasonable, ... and those are more fun to write or talk about then the majority that aren't! (Does 18% ring a bell) :D;)

GameTime: I believe they had those practices as well. For a team that was worked as hard as I understood them to be, they seemed to be tired by halftime and sometimes before the game ever started until later in the season when those 'rumors' seemed to mysteriously stop. Coincidence? :sssh:

Anyone remember the UT fans going totally bezerk with ESPN over and over and over?

Unfair commercials, bias toward everyone but them, et al.

It goes on everywhere.

Looks worse on here right now because it is a predominately pro-UK site. (Looks like Blue Grass Preps would have made much of that abundantly clear. UK/UL may just dominate most of the site.)

Anyone with typing skills can pretty much go start something on someone else's site or thread.

I am sure if you go to sites that have lots of Duke, UNC, (put any college that you want right here) you will pretty much see the same thing.

So that excuses it? Stop shifting the blame. Just because "everybody else does it" (something I'm skeptical of), doesn't excuse the lunacy.

And the guy on the "Wilt Chamberlain" site said that while he lampoons anybody and everybody, the response is always swift, furious and overwhelming when UK is the subject of jabs. There are people in this state, and probably on this site, who would love to beat me up just because I would dare write something unflattering about UK. Don't act like that's not the case.

. There are people in this state, and probably on this site, who would love to beat me up just because I would dare write something unflattering about UK. Don't act like that's not the case.

That would simply be one of the MANY reaons.;)

Can someone please send me a link to the article?

It's in the "UK fans: Doesn't it make you mad" thread. The fact there was even a thread started like that (with the intention of rallying Wildcat fans for one of their patented mass overreactions) only proves what I'm getting at in this thread.

UK fan here. I must say I'm always amused and even somewhat disappointed at how sensitive UK fans are. He didn't call us toothless hillbillies or inbreeds. He talked trash about the program we root for which is hardly worth the negative responses.

On the other hand, I do think the high level of support by UK fans goes hand in hand wit this. Many tie their self value to the state of the UK program and truly feel like its "their" program. I get that. I just don't agree with it.

I think you're pretty naive if you think it's only UK fans that send "hate mail' as you call it to columnists...

No, that happens a lot. It's the massive response by UK fans as opposed to just a few here and there that is at issue. And I've had the chance to speak to many of the columnists at the state's largest papers, and almost without fail they tell me it's a huge difference here as opposed to other papers where they've worked.

UK fan here. I must say I'm always amused and even somewhat disappointed at how sensitive UK fans are. He didn't call us toothless hillbillies or inbreeds. He talked trash about the program we root for which is hardly worth the negative responses.

On the other hand, I do think the high level of support by UK fans goes hand in hand wit this. Many tie their self value to the state of the UK program and truly feel like its "their" program. I get that. I just don't agree with it.

Which is really, really sad.

Clearly, the venomous reaction to the satirical article about UK on that "Wilt Chamberlain" site shows that a great deal of you do. So let's hear it: Why can't you guys take a joke when it comes to UK hoops and why is it so hard to hear/read criticism of the UK hoops program? Why so hypersensitive?

Everyone on this website is hypersensitive about every team they support. When covered by anonymity, no one cares about looking like a fool by getting way, way emotionally into a debate about meaningless articles.

In terms of membership, IMO, the two top are:

1. UK fans

2. UK haters. I actually believe that there are plenty of people on this site who, while they do support other teams, prefer getting the UK fans riled up.

It is very comical and disheartening to watch.

Everyone on this website is hypersensitive about every team they support. When covered by anonymity, no one cares about looking like a fool by getting way, way emotionally into a debate about meaningless articles.

In terms of membership, IMO, the two top are:

1. UK fans

2. UK haters. I actually believe that there are plenty of people on this site who, while they do support other teams, prefer getting the UK fans riled up.

It is very comical and disheartening to watch.

Thankfully there are an infinitely greater number of UK fans than haters every place I go, including this great site, so we just drown them out while they spew their jealousy and consider the source.