UK fans: Why do you think the 'Cats are above criticism and/or lampooning?

Jim Schue

So, you don't think somebody posted a link to the "Wilt Chamberlain" site's story on TCP, prompting the carpet-bombing of venom to the blog? I'll bet I can find it very quickly ...

No I'm sure it is there. I'm not going to try to change the crazy people one fan at a time.

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Go Cards!

But there is a fine line between passion and lunacy, and many UK fans jump from one side to the other with alarming regularity.

Many, ... yes. The majority, ... nope. Maybe around 18%, ..... :D

Most of us are rational sports fans who happen to love our Cats and really don't like being lumped in with the small percentage that may be slightly irrational and more emotional than the rest of us. Most of us are not in the 'lunatic fringe' that nearly every fan base has. Jim, you know a lot of UK fans that are not that way at all. Admit it, .. you know you do!!! ;)

Many, ... yes. The majority, ... nope. Maybe around 18%, ..... :D

Most of us are rational sports fans who happen to love our Cats and really don't like being lumped in with the small percentage that may be slightly irrational and more emotional than the rest of us. Most of us are not in the 'lunatic fringe' that nearly every fan base has. Jim, you know a lot of UK fans that are not that way at all. Admit it, .. you know you do!!! ;)

Sure, but the 18-percenters (a number which I think is conservatively low, BTW) do a fantastic job of completely drowning out the rational folks.

Sure, but the 18-percenters (a number which I think is conservatively low, BTW) do a fantastic job of completely drowning out the rational folks.

I think the 18% is actually quite high. However, I will give you that the 18% are a MUCH more vocal group than the 82%!

Clearly, the venomous reaction to the satirical article about UK on that "Wilt Chamberlain" site shows that a great deal of you do. So let's hear it: Why can't you guys take a joke when it comes to UK hoops and why is it so hard to hear/read criticism of the UK hoops program? Why so hypersensitive?

If someone makes a valid point that puts down UK I guess I don't get too mad. I just think that when someone writes an article with the them e of "Don't go to UK if you want to get drafted," they are just asking for it. I mean the timing of that article is terrible. I think 20% of the starters in the finals that actually went to college somewhere went to UK (Bryant, Gasol, Perkins, Garnett, etc didn't go to college). And also I would guess that atleast 15% of starters for teams that made the NBA's conference finals were UK grads.

The timing of the article was absoluetly pitiful. That is like releasing an article titled "Don't go to LSU if you want to win the a college football title," right after LSU won a college football title.

I will agree that some UK fans are sensitive at times but in this case the critism of the thoughtless article was warranted.

A good writer knows his audience. My audience is not Arizona fans. But this thread isn't about me, so don't change the subject. :p:lol:

So whats the next direction you are going at to put UK down? :lol:

You have covered the athletics dept, boosters and fans. :lol:

Go Cards!

But there is a fine line between passion and lunacy, and many UK fans jump from one side to the other with alarming regularity.

Speaking of lunacy, doesn't a certain Cardinal sports board have a forum titled "the smack board" dedicated to nothing but talking smack. I think they do. At any time, you can go to this forum and at least 80 percent (a number which I think is conservatively low, BTW) of this forum involves UK one way or another.

Isn't that borderline lunacy ? That a group of fans felt the need to dedicate an entire forum to their hatred towards UK ? UL is the only school in this database of college team forums, that I know of, that felt the need to have a "smack" forum. What a bunch of lunatics.

My question is simply this, Jim. Does a "smack" forum on that particular site make UL fans look passionate or like lunatics ?

I realize this is off topic, I'm just really interested in what spin you can put on this one.

Edited by MBWC41

Must be a cold, lonely little bubble you've constructed for yourself. You must've been among the large bunch who angrily canceled their subscription to the Herald-Leader when they dared to break the story about UK's cheating back in the late '80s.

There is a difference in deserving criticism( the cheating scandal of the 80's) and constantly being negatively looked down on by the same few writers who can't let it go, over and over. I didn't mean to offend you by stating my thoughts, you really took this personal. You'd a thought I took you out of my top 8 myspace friends or something. No wait, that is my cold, lonely little bubble. Thanks for your 2 cents worth.

Speaking of lunacy, doesn't a certain Cardinal sports board have a forum titled "the smack board" dedicated to nothing but talking smack. I think they do. At any time, you can go to this forum and at least 80 percent (a number which I think is conservatively low, BTW) of this forum involves UK one way or another.

Isn't that borderline lunacy ? That a group of fans felt the need to dedicate an entire forum to their hatred towards UK ? UL is the only school in this database of college team forums, that I know of, that felt the need to have a "smack" forum. What a bunch of lunatics.

My question is simply this, Jim. Does a "smack" forum on that particular site make UL fans look passionate or like lunatics ?

I realize this is off topic, I'm just really interested in what spin you can put on this one.

I can't recall the last time I got on any UofL message boards. I have seen what you speak of, and it's pretty stupid. Sure, the Cards have their nutsos. But they make up well below the 18 percent threshold, and are seriously outnumbered as well.

But this is about UK fans, not Cardinal fans. Stay on topic. :D

There is a difference in deserving criticism( the cheating scandal of the 80's) and constantly being negatively looked down on by the same few writers who can't let it go, over and over. I didn't mean to offend you by stating my thoughts, you really took this personal. You'd a thought I took you out of my top 8 myspace friends or something. No wait, that is my cold, lonely little bubble. Thanks for your 2 cents worth.

I don't really take much of anything personal. As these guys will tell you, I can take it just as well as I dish it out. And I'm interested in everyone's thoughts, so please fire away! :thumb:

I can't recall the last time I got on any UofL message boards. I have seen what you speak of, and it's pretty stupid. Sure, the Cards have their nutsos. But they make up well below the 18 percent threshold, and are seriously outnumbered as well.

It's somewhat on topic.

So, on the topic of the UL smack board, are you defending it, or would you say it's borderline lunacy ?

UL is the only school in this database of college team forums, that I know of, that felt the need to have a "smack" forum.

There is one on the UC Scout board. They started it to coral the OSU flamers ruining their main board. Draw your own conclusions there.....

You're a Cardnal fan and calling out UK, I think it is very much on topic! :D

It's somewhat on topic.

So, on the topic of the UL smack board, are you defending it, or would you say it's borderline lunacy ?

I'm certainly not defending it. But the question you have to ask, as it pertains to this thread, is this: Do those lunatics, when offended by criticism or lampooning of their favorite team, organize mass outcry against the offending writer the way UK fans do, with alarming regularity? My answer would be no.

As I said earlier in the thread, the writers I have spoken to on this subject who have worked at other newspapers away from the Bluegrass State say they've never seen a fan base so hypersensitive to any perceived slight of the UK program. And I think the massive overreaction to the "Wilt Chamberlain" blog article (and others of similar nature, such as mass cancellations of the H-L after they broke the UK cheating scandal) only proves me right.