UK fans: Why do you think the 'Cats are above criticism and/or lampooning?

Jim Schue

The "insane fan base" era only has two... :D

Not really. Many UK fans wanted Adolph Rupp gone towards the end of his tenure as he hadn't won a national title since 1961. He was forced to retire due to a state law. However, you can bet that he would not have been forced to retire if he had won another title closer to age 72.

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not really. Many UK fans wanted Adolph Rupp gone towards the end of his tenure as he hadn't won a national title since 1961. He was forced to retire due to a state law. However, you can bet that he would not have been forced to retire if he had won another title closer to age 72.

OK. 3... :p

Rupp won a championship in '61? Was he coaching at Cincinnati that year? No wonder everybody wanted him gone. :D :banana:

Clearly, the venomous reaction to the satirical article about UK on that "Wilt Chamberlain" site shows that a great deal of you do. So let's hear it: Why can't you guys take a joke when it comes to UK hoops and why is it so hard to hear/read criticism of the UK hoops program? Why so hypersensitive?

To me, there is a HUGE difference in criticizing and just plain bashing a team. This blog was just UK bashing. Not one time did he critic UK and name issues for UK to work on. That would have been fine if he's been constructive and was actually trying to have a discussion on his blog but he was just trying to completely BASH UK and everything about UK. To accuse the HC of breaking the law and then accusing the face of UK basketball as being a racist is just absurd, disrespectful, and distasteful. I have absolutely no problem with people criticizing UK, that is part of sports I do get upset when people bash UK because of jealousy. That would be the only logical reasoning behind his remarks. Other than maybe he wanted a rise out of us UK fans and now he's finding this all humorous. If that's the case then he really needs to get a hobby.

Go watch the documentary Dick Gabriel did a couple years ago on Adolph Rupp and get back to me. :thumb:

I watched it. Didn't really strike me as neutral and unbiased, but what do you expect with a homer like Gabriel?

I watched it. Didn't really strike me as neutral and unbiased, but what do you expect with a homer like Gabriel?

So you just dismiss anything that doesn't agree with your point of view? Isn't that what you're accusing UK fans of doing?

So you just dismiss anything that doesn't agree with your point of view? Isn't that what you're accusing UK fans of doing?

I'm not dismissing it completely; there was some good historical info covered. I'm just saying that if you guys really wanted to put the "Rupp's a racist" talk to rest, a guy employed by the UK athletic dept. wasn't the best choice, as it's not hard to envision him leaving out unflattering info that didn't suit his (and his employer's) preconceived notions.

Like most everything else in life, the truth of whether Rupp was or wasn't a bigot probably lies somewhere in the middle.

I'm not dismissing it completely; there was some good historical info covered. I'm just saying that if you guys really wanted to put the "Rupp's a racist" talk to rest, a guy employed by the UK athletic dept. wasn't the best choice, as it's not hard to envision him leaving out unflattering info that didn't suit his (and his employer's) preconceived notions.

Like most everything else in life, the truth of whether Rupp was or wasn't a bigot probably lies somewhere in the middle.

So you didn't like the documentary because the guy was employed by UK athletics?