Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

UK fans: Why do you think the 'Cats are above criticism and/or lampooning?

Featured Replies

Clearly, the venomous reaction to the satirical article about UK on that "Wilt Chamberlain" site shows that a great deal of you do. So let's hear it: Why can't you guys take a joke when it comes to UK hoops and why is it so hard to hear/read criticism of the UK hoops program? Why so hypersensitive?

 

As a non-UK fan, why does that bother you? I'm curious to hear.

  • Replies 140
  • Views 16.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Author
As a non-UK fan, why does that bother you? I'm curious to hear.

 

Doesn't bother me at all. Just pure curiosity on my part.

I'm certainly not defending it. But the question you have to ask, as it pertains to this thread, is this: Do those lunatics, when offended by criticism or lampooning of their favorite team, organize mass outcry against the offending writer the way UK fans do, with alarming regularity? My answer would be no.

 

As I said earlier in the thread, the writers I have spoken to on this subject who have worked at other newspapers away from the Bluegrass State say they've never seen a fan base so hypersensitive to any perceived slight of the UK program. And I think the massive overreaction to the "Wilt Chamberlain" blog article (and others of similar nature, such as mass cancellations of the H-L after they broke the UK cheating scandal) only proves me right.

 

I agree their is a mass of UK fans that are hypersensitive. In no way do I think these fans think the program is beyond criticism. They simply feel the need to defend the program whenever they can. Kentuckians are isolated in an environment where there are no local major pro sports and really only two large universities to cheer for. Kentuckians have been raised rooting for a program that has seen great success (in basketball). Fans in many other states have had multiple teams to cheer for (ex. Boston-Celtics, Bruins, Patriots, Red Sox). Many fans in smaller states similar to KY haven't been as fortunate rooting for a team that has had so much success. Many UK fans (not all) have traditionally mainly cheered for basketball (until more recently). This has caused an influx of hypersensitive fans that only focus on one or two sports of one college. Kentucky and their fans are truly unique. I think this is great and fans shouldn't have to feel ashamed because some bloggers feel the need to get upset when UK fans defend their team. Those offended are being hypersensitive by commenting on the subject in the first place. Louisville fans (I don't want to leave you out) you are special too.

Today was a fun case study...

I misread your post! It happens. Even I drift slightly away from perfection on occasion … :lol:

 

Rush, is that really you?

I agree their is a mass of UK fans that are hypersensitive.

 

 

There is. Then again, there is a mass of journalists that are hypersensitive and there is a mass of music lovers that are hypercritical of other's taste in music also. :p

Or not...

 

That's why Rupp didn't recruit a single African American to play on his teams until 1969 (39 years into his career, and 3 years before he quit), correct?

That's why Rupp didn't recruit a single African American to play on his teams until 1969 (39 years into his career, and 3 years before he quit), correct?

 

Actually you should say: "On his teams at UK." He had an African-American player on the High School team he coached in the Midwest.

 

I thought I saw an interview with Unseld once that he was approached by UK but that he did not want to travel in the SEC.

 

My personal opinion is that Rupp liked winning the most and he could have been a pioneer in race relations in the SEC but like Bear Bryant he chose to play only Caucasians to prove his coaching prowess. The truth of his racial feelings probably lies somewhere between bigot and emancipator.

Blah, blah, blah. Same ole, same ole. I see not much has changed around here. An old thread with a different title to incite the "hypersensitive" Wildcat fans. :argue:

 

:thumb:Yep, very predictable and as of now it is on page 3......:sleep::lol:

I watched it. Didn't really strike me as neutral and unbiased, but what do you expect with a homer like Gabriel?

 

I thought the documentary was very good. And it did not prove that Adolph Rupp was not racist at all either. It did prove a lot of the stereotypes were wrong, though. I don't understand why he is the one coach who they pick out of that era to paint as a big racist when so many other coaches were doing the same thing Rupp was, which is not recruit black players. I assume its because he was the best coach in the nation and he didn't have black players until late in his career. But there was proof that he had recruited at least 2 black players by 1966 when they played Texas Western.

There is. Then again, there is a mass of journalists that are hypersensitive and there is a mass of music lovers that are hypercritical of other's taste in music also. :p
Let's continue that thought a little further................A mass of U.L. fans that are, U.T. fans, mass of Duke fans that are and I.U. fans (between Duke and I.U. on here that would make around 4 or 5 at the most :lol:). Really a mass of anywhere USA fans that are depending on where you are.

Could it possibly be that the reason that it seems so on here more so than others is bc there are more U.K. fans than others? Go figure :eek:, it sure doesn't take a much for one to figure that out......:lol:

I thought the documentary was very good. And it did not prove that Adolph Rupp was not racist at all either. It did prove a lot of the stereotypes were wrong, though. I don't understand why he is the one coach who they pick out of that era to paint as a big racist when so many other coaches were doing the same thing Rupp was, which is not recruit black players. I assume its because he was the best coach in the nation and he didn't have black players until late in his career. But there was proof that he had recruited at least 2 black players by 1966 when they played Texas Western.

 

:thumb::thumb:You nailed it, great post LMB.

Doesn't bother me at all. Just pure curiosity on my part.

 

I can't speak for everyone, but for me, it's because I like UK better than any other college basketball team.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.