The New President and the SCOTUS appointments.

What does everyone think.

This is one of the most important issues of the election to me, as there is a chance that the next President will select 1, possible 2 new Justices.

Justice Stevens is 88 and with the advanced age of some of the Justices, 2 is a real possibility.

Does anyone consider this when voting?

What does everyone think.

This is one of the most important issues of the election to me, as there is a chance that the next President will select 1, possible 2 new Justices.

Justice Stevens is 88 and with the advanced age of some of the Justices, 2 is a real possibility.

Does anyone consider this when voting?

If anyone considers abortion an issue, this is what really matters.

If anyone considers abortion an issue, this is what really matters.

Just get that thought out of your head. If it didn't come up before the current court, it's never gonna come up. GOP leadership wouldn't know what to do without their wedge issue anyway, so they don't want to see it struck down, despite how hard their candidates pander.

Just get that thought out of your head. If it didn't come up before the current court, it's never gonna come up. GOP leadership wouldn't know what to do without their wedge issue anyway, so they don't want to see it struck down, despite how hard their candidates pander.

Exactly right, plus May '08 Gallup poll numbers of 82% wanting abortion to remain legal. Abortion rights are here to stay.

:thumb:

I absolutely consider Supreme Court apointees when voting. I would love to see a couple more David Souter's.

Souter & Ginsberg are Left-winger deconstructionalists.....and you want more than that?

Souter & Ginsberg are Left-winger deconstructionalists.....and you want more than that?

One of the few good things that a Bush blessed us with. Along with former Chief Justice Rehnquist and Stephen Breyer, Souter has a reputation for being a strong guardian of the court's institutional integrity, making him a traditionalist in that regard.

Thank goodness for the courage of the "troika" .

One of the few good things that a Bush blessed us with. Along with former Chief Justice Rehnquist and Stephen Breyer, Souter has a reputation for being a strong guardian of the court's institutional integrity, making him a traditionalist in that regard.

Thank goodness for the courage of the "troika" .

His vote in District of Columbia v. Heller will determine if I am a fan or not, as I am currently on the fence with him.

To me, the turning point in regards to Souter came in '92 when he, along with Kennedy was considering overturning Roe but instead had the good sense to listen to O'Connor. That triumverate or "the troika", as they came to be known, developed a joint opinion asserting the esential holding of Roe.

To me, the turning point in regards to Souter came in '92 when he, along with Kennedy was considering overturning Roe but instead had the good sense to listen to O'Connor. That triumverate or "the troika", as they came to be known, developed a joint opinion asserting the esential holding of Roe.

I believe me and you are the only ones interested in the SCOTUS.

Here are the justices, their age, and how they typically vote. Although the two labels of liberal and conservative are imprecise, they should suffice for this.

John Paul Stevens – 88 – Liberal

David Souter – 68 – Liberal

Ruth Bader Ginsburg – 79 – Liberal

Steven Breyer – 69 – Liberal

Anthony Kennedy – 71 – Swing (Conservative)

Samuel Alito – 58 – Conservative

John Roberts – 53 - Conservative

Clarence Thomas – 59 – Conservative

Antonin Scalia – 72 – Conservative

Which Justices are slated to retire in the next four or eight years? How will their replacements alter the voting of the Court? Assuming the two oldest members retire - even during a liberal administration and Senate - the Court would retain its conservative lean.

You may be right, but I'll take my chances, and do what I think is right.

I am not entirely convinced that, without abortion, Republicans would be hopeless. But I do agree that it is a big help to Republicans that it is still an issue