Toothaches...

halfback20

Anyone ever have one really bad?

I had one start last week. It would come and go, and wasn't too bad until the last couple of nights. I haven't been able to sleep well (I can't sleep much anyways) and last night I woke up with it hurting extremely bad. Thankfully the dentist is going to see me today at 8:30AM. I have to work though, so hopefully they don't do anything too serious.

Last time I went they drilled on the same side that is hurting, and I believe they hit a nerve. They were drilling (I was numb) and for a split second I felt an extremely sharp pain through my jaw. I assume they hit something they weren't supposed to hit. Not sure if that is influencing the pain in my tooth though.

Anyways, I've never had a toothache before, so this stinks! Hopefully after 830 this morning I'll never have another one!

FYI, if they "hit a nerve" you have to address it then, you can't just patch over it or wait until next time. Typically, it's either root canal therapy or extraction if you invade the pulp of the tooth. Good luck.

Yes halfback, I have had my share of toothaches and they are no fun. I have had to have a few extractions. You are already at the dentist now so I am sure that he will get you out of pain with whatever route he goes with it. My personal choice and if the tooth is not one of the front ones.....I would say pull it. Reason being I had a root canal done one time and that was about as much fun as the toothache. Anyway, about 3 months after the root canal was finished I had a toothache in the same tooth that the root canal was done so something was wrong seeing how I thought a root canal was to remove the nerve. I went back and had the tooth extracted.

I am now seeing another dentist.

Good luck to you halfback.

Yes halfback, I have had my share of toothaches and they are no fun. I have had to have a few extractions. You are already at the dentist now so I am sure that he will get you out of pain with whatever route he goes with it. My personal choice and if the tooth is not one of the front ones.....I would say pull it. Reason being I had a root canal done one time and that was about as much fun as the toothache. Anyway, about 3 months after the root canal was finished I had a toothache in the same tooth that the root canal was done so something was wrong seeing how I thought a root canal was to remove the nerve. I went back and had the tooth extracted.

I am now seeing another dentist.

Good luck to you halfback.

You just went to the wrong one.:D

For such little areas, a toothache & an earache are the worst!!!! besides this toe ache I have at times.

I agree. The painkiller needs to be pretty strong for an earache and for a bad tooth a dentist told me that nothing short of morphine would help.

My tooth is still throbbing. The dentist said it wasn't a cavity and it wasn't anything wrong with the tooth in general. She think it might be a sinus (sp?) infection, or a few other things. She prescribed an anti-biotic. I've been taking advil and tylenol extra strength all day, and they haven't helped at all! I'm in a ton of pain as I type this...hopefully when I get the anti biotic it will help. My aunt is a pharmacist and she also recommended Sudafed (sp?). I'll do anything to ease this pain though. The pain is now going from my top back tooth (2nd from the back) to my upper jaw, to my temple and causing a head ache. It's terrible.

My tooth is still throbbing. The dentist said it wasn't a cavity and it wasn't anything wrong with the tooth in general. She think it might be a sinus (sp?) infection, or a few other things. She prescribed an anti-biotic. I've been taking advil and tylenol extra strength all day, and they haven't helped at all! I'm in a ton of pain as I type this...hopefully when I get the anti biotic it will help. My aunt is a pharmacist and she also recommended Sudafed (sp?). I'll do anything to ease this pain though. The pain is now going from my top back tooth (2nd from the back) to my upper jaw, to my temple and causing a head ache. It's terrible.
Been through this, for the last month. 'Doc made me aware, it might be my allergies/sinus. They were also very sensitive, to temperature changes.

Hope it eases for you.

Been through this, for the last month. 'Doc made me aware, it might be my allergies/sinus. They were also very sensitive, to temperature changes.

Hope it eases for you.

It's awful at times. Just now it started throbbing and hurting so bad I didn't know what to do. It eventually went away, but man this is some of the worst pain I've ever experienced. I took my anti biotics and some sudafed, so hopefully the pain will stop soon.

For those who care...

I'm feeling a little better. I took the sudafed/antibiotics and fell asleep for a short while. I'm still feeling the toothache a bit, but not nearly as bad right now. Praying that it doesn't come back at this point...

For those who care...

I'm feeling a little better. I took the sudafed/antibiotics and fell asleep for a short while. I'm still feeling the toothache a bit, but not nearly as bad right now. Praying that it doesn't come back at this point...

If it returns, make some Tea and drink warm, not hot but warm.

This will help ease the discomfort some. Continue taking your allergy/sinus medicine and get some rest, when you can.