Scott High 12 Bourbon County 9

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The lights had nothing to do with the 2 errors in the 1st inning in left field.

Or the 3rd error that gave bourbon a 8 3 lead. Overall I'm very impressed with harrisons facilties, and they take really good care of their field

Or the 3rd error that gave bourbon a 8 3 lead. Overall I'm very impressed with harrisons facilties, and they take really good care of their field

They make the best out of what they have. It's a shame they haven't been able to make any improvements since their 3 State Championships in 93, 97 and 98.

Montgomery County has a good field, as well. The regional was held down there last year and seemed to have a nice facility. That red brick dust on the infield was a nice touch.

I've never seen Clark's facilities. What are they like?

This game to me was like Scott's second round game last year in the Region. Scott's left fielder struggles to catch balls in the outfield. Last night I would say alot had to do with the lighting, Harrison's lights are horrible poles are way to short for baseball lighting. Infield seems to be pretty good as far as playing surface.

I would say though Scott and Campbell still have the best fields in the Region.

Montgomery County has a good field, as well. The regional was held down there last year and seemed to have a nice facility. That red brick dust on the infield was a nice touch.

GRC probably has the best facilities in the 10th.

Montgomery doesn’t have brick dust on it’s infield, it is a Marmix dirt out of Alabama and Bermuda grass over seeded with rye. By far the best playing surface in the region and once the restroom\concession building is constructed this summer, will be hard to beat as the best facilities in the region. Montgomery’s administration has really stepped up to bring the baseball facilities up to par with the rest of the sports facilities on campus.

Thanks for the clarification on the infield. Watching the games down there last year, I thought it was brick dust. It makes for an attractive infield.

Bermuda would not be my choice for any baseball field. It's a rhizome grass meaning it spreads laterally by the horizontal growth of shoots beneath the soil line. Generally speaking, you need to install a metal edging beneath the soil line to contain it or resign yourself to kill unwanted portions topside as they occur.

Montgomery doesn’t have brick dust on it’s infield, it is a Marmix dirt out of Alabama and Bermuda grass over seeded with rye. By far the best playing surface in the region and once the restroom\concession building is constructed this summer, will be hard to beat as the best facilities in the region. Montgomery’s administration has really stepped up to bring the baseball facilities up to par with the rest of the sports facilities on campus.

Thanks for the clarification on the infield. Watching the games down there last year, I thought it was brick dust. It makes for an attractive infield.

Bermuda would not be my choice for any baseball field. It's a rhizome grass meaning it spreads laterally by the horizontal growth of shoots beneath the soil line. Generally speaking, you need to install a metal edging beneath the soil line to contain it or resign yourself to kill unwanted portions topside as they occur.[/QUOTE]

Most college’s (UK, UT, Morehead, Campbellsville, Union) would disagree with you, as this is what most have.

Your correct in it being a rhizome grass and it take a little more work to keep Bermuda under control, but the results are well worth it. It comes down to how much time your willing to send to have a fast smooth infield to play on. Coach Combs puts a lot of time in working on the field and our kids are very fortunate to have a coach that takes that much pride in his program.

That's interesting. I am surprised that it would be used for high school. No doubt that bermuda can grow very dense and would make for an fantastic playing surface. i had thought you would only find it on the college level and up, where their budgets are more forgiving in terms of upkeep. I can't imagine doing it on a high school field, though. Hat's off to the man.

Bermuda would not be my choice for any baseball field. It's a rhizome grass meaning it spreads laterally by the horizontal growth of shoots beneath the soil line. Generally speaking, you need to install a metal edging beneath the soil line to contain it or resign yourself to kill unwanted portions topside as they occur.[/QUOTE]

Most college’s (UK, UT, Morehead, Campbellsville, Union) would disagree with you, as this is what most have.

Your correct in it being a rhizome grass and it take a little more work to keep Bermuda under control, but the results are well worth it. It comes down to how much time your willing to send to have a fast smooth infield to play on. Coach Combs puts a lot of time in working on the field and our kids are very fortunate to have a coach that takes that much pride in his program.

Edited by BaseballIsLife
Complete sentences

This game to me was like Scott's second round game last year in the Region. Scott's left fielder struggles to catch balls in the outfield. Last night I would say alot had to do with the lighting, Harrison's lights are horrible poles are way to short for baseball lighting. Infield seems to be pretty good as far as playing surface.

Just came back from the Harrison vs Clark Co. and the Campbell Vs St Pats games. I was looking forward to seeing Harrisons facility and I was very impressed with the atmosphere. What a place to watch a ballgame. This place is one of the nicest places to watch a ballgame for so many reasons. The fans on the hill, the huge scoreboard, being able to overhear the game being broadcast over the radio and the seating all over the field. The announcer doing a decent job as well. Now with all of this good let me say that the infield looks kept very well. The lighting is Shamefull and why the KHSAA allows any game to be played there under the lights is beyond me. Did I say Shameful no it is pathetic. I never seen so many dark spots on a field in my life. The poles are way too short which causes players to lose the ball in the lights. I will say that if there were some research done on the games played there over the years Harrisons record is probably 90% or better because of this. When a player is used to playing on a field with good lighting and they come and play here I would expect anything to happen. Shame on the people who allocate the funds for this field. Its quite obvious it is spent on other things ( concession area and rest rooms ).:fire:

Shame on the people who allocate the funds for this field. Its quite obvious it is spent on other things ( concession area and rest rooms ).:fire:

Funds? What funds? I can't remember the last time any money was allocated for improvements on the Hilltop. Hats off to the Harrison County Coaches, Players and Booster Club for all their hard work to maintain the facilities that they do have. The late Coach Ron Herrington did an excellent job in manicuring and maintaining the field. The tradition has continued even though Coach Herrington is no longer with us.

The lights are the same for everyone, I haven't seen anyone else struggle from them this year.