Villa Madonna 2008/2009

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can see that... I wasn't saying who I think is the best junior player in DIII but just don't think it can be determined yet. I will say this, I saw both of them last year and think they both showed that they had some trouble handling adversity. As long as they stay away from being the type that lose it at teammates etc. it could be fun watching them the next couple years in DIII because they both can play.

For whomever said that Bryan could've taken any defensive player in the region to the basket last year, JMO, but I think that is mistaken. While not many players had the footspeed and quickness to play 1 on 1 with him, quick guards that could match those attributes could slow him. I think this is why St. Henry had success, because they had a lot of speed. And just throwing this out because there was talk of "any defensive player in the region" etc.... No way Bryan would own Henderson to the basket. Maybe 2 guys did that all last season, McGraw and depending on who you are talking Miller... Bryan, while a really good player, isn't near that level...

Agreed, D1allstar is talking as if Bryan is the POY of the region, maybe even Mr. Basketball.

Agreed, D1allstar is talking as if Bryan is the POY of the region, maybe even Mr. Basketball.

I'm not saying that Bryan is near POY or Mr. Basketball, but I also don't see anyone in their conference that's going to slow him down let alone stop him completely.

But from looking at the numbers from last year I didn't see any reason he couldn't have been POY in the conference.

Edited by Ram
Rule 13

I'm not saying that Bryan is near POY or Mr. Basketball, but I also don't see anyone in their conference that's going to slow him down let alone stop him completely.

But from looking at the numbers from last year I didn't see any reason he couldn't have been POY in the conference.

He had some impressive games, and he is a great player, but lets just say he needs a lot of shots to score. Villa will be dangerous, but won't be hard to stop since teams can box and 1 Bryan.

So next year when Villa opens up next year with ____________, they're starting five will be??

I know its too early to say for sure but...

Bryan

Schroth

Schuh

Duggan?

______?

who will they have coming off the bench?

anyone care to speculate?

I think Villa's coaching staff does an excellent job, especially when it comes to motivating and getting the most out of the kids they have.

He deserves a nice pat on the back, he did turn them around.

I think Villa's coaching staff does an excellent job, especially when it comes to motivating and getting the most out of the kids they have.

:thumb:I have been very impressed with Villa the past 2 years and the coaching that they have received. It is obvious that he knows how to motivate the kids and gain their respect. It is obvious that the kids enjoy playing for their coach which goes a long way in having a sucessful program.

No respect usually means kids don't enjoy playing for a coach and it is very clear to see when you watch certain teams play as to who has and who doesn't have the respect of the kids.

So next year when Villa opens up next year with ____________, they're starting five will be??

I know its too early to say for sure but...

Bryan

Schroth

Schuh

Duggan?

______?

who will they have coming off the bench?

anyone care to speculate?

Whoever fills that 5th spot or that 4th and 5th spot and comes off the bench will be young. Like someone said before they have some young talent. If the coaching staff can keep them motivated and playing hard I could possibly see them make a run towards the end of the season. However, I think they may take a few lumps early. Are they still playing Newport and NCC next year?

Whoever fills that 5th spot or that 4th and 5th spot and comes off the bench will be young. Like someone said before they have some young talent. If the coaching staff can keep them motivated and playing hard I could possibly see them make a run towards the end of the season. However, I think they may take a few lumps early. Are they still playing Newport and NCC next year?

I believe so, I think they'll take bad losses to NCC, Beechwood, and Newport lost Housley, but will still be very good.

Wow. I can't believe there are this many posts on Villa. OK, lets be real about this. Villa be be very average this year. They have Blake Bryan, who would either start or be a key contributor on any team in the region. After that, they are going to be hurting. David Schuh will be the next best scorer, he is a very good spot up shooter. The rest of the guys do have some talent, but will all be role players. Lets keep in mind that there is a good possibility that there will be games that they start 4 or even 5 juniors starting. This is the typical cycle that Villa has to go through every year. They can not just reload like many of the big schools. They just graduated 7 seniors who had a great year, but two years ago, those seniors took their lumps. The process repeats itself. Villa will be young and inexperienced. They will beat many small schools with the talent of Bryant alone. They will not be able to compete with the big guys this season. But... they will learn to play together and gain valuable varsity time that will serve them well when they are all seniors in two years. So, average this season, look out for them in 2009-2010. Good luck to them. The program is going in the right direction, and those coaches should be proud of themselves.