N.F.L. has decided that stiff arms are going too far

Few more beautiful sights exist on a football field than a running back using a stiff arm to ward off a linebacker. There’s a reason that when sculptor Frank Eliscu created football’s most famous trophy, he used a pose of a ball carrier sticking out his arm to keep an opponent at bay.

But the N.F.L. has decided that stiff arms are going too far.

Charean Williams of The Fort Worth Star-Telegram reports that the league will emphasize to officials this season that stiff arms to the face should result in a 15-yard penalty. N.F.L. rules already say that “hands cannot be thrust forward above the frame to contact an opponent on the neck, face or head,” so the instruction to officials to call such penalties is not a rules change, just a point of emphasis. The league’s Competition Committee believes that the rule has not been adequately enforced in the past.

link

The National Football League has decided that the practice known as "tackling" will no longer be tolerated. Opposing players will not be allowed to push down, grab or otherwise touch another player. Instead, offensive players will carry little pieces of material, known as "flags", in their jersey trousers. Opposing players will attempt to grab the flags and if done successfully to the person in possession of the ball, will cause play to stop.

The National Football League has decided that the practice known as "tackling" will no longer be tolerated. Opposing players will not be allowed to push down, grab or otherwise touch another player. Instead, offensive players will carry little pieces of material, known as "flags", in their jersey trousers. Opposing players will attempt to grab the flags and if done successfully to the person in possession of the ball, will cause play to stop.

:lol: I agree, they have gone too far with this one.

Yes i agree this is going too far, but have you ever seen a Marion Barber highlight tape? That guy doesn't stiff arm opposing tacklers, he punches them, repeatedly. That's mainly why this rule was made.

Cowboys are known for getting rules created because of their actions. See Roy Williams and the horse collar tackle.

The NFL is ruining the game of football. They come up with another ridiculous rule every week. Its no wonder I would watch 10 college football games instead of 1 NFL game.

Let's just put a flag on everyone and see if the defense can take it.

The NFL is ruining the game of football. They come up with another ridiculous rule every week. Its no wonder I would watch 10 college football games instead of 1 NFL game.

Let's just put a flag on everyone and see if the defense can take it.

Let's not get carried away.

The NFL is by far the best league in America. They are doing their best to change that though.

Let's not get carried away.

The NFL is by far the best league in America. They are doing their best to change that though.

I have always preferred the college game, but thats just my opinion as a fan of course. The NFL has the more quality game, but they are ruining it with some their rules.

A stiff arm to the face should be a 15 yd penalty. Nothing about that says the NFL is getting soft or should start using flags. Have you ever had someone stiff arm you in the face it is very annoying and should have been cracked down on years ago.