When to hold back a child?

deceivingly slow

We all know that a big part of holding a child back in school can be athletically motivated. I'd think the later a child can go without be held back the better. If a child is held back in the K-4 years, then the other kids have ample time to catch up. If a child is held back in the late middle school years, then this would provide the biggest advantage as there's less time for others to catch up. I'll admit, I have no idea what I'm talking about as I've never been through this, so someone enlighten me.

From a perspective of athletics only, what's the best time to hold a child back?

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I do not believe a student should ever be held back just to allow them to develope for sports, although I have seen it done. If a child has that late birth date that would allow them to wait until the next year, that is time to do something along the lines you are talking about. It may help them not only phyiscally, but socially and intellectually as well.

We all know that a big part of holding a child back in school can be athletically motivated. I'd think the later a child can go without be held back the better. If a child is held back in the K-4 years, then the other kids have ample time to catch up. If a child is held back in the late middle school years, then this would provide the biggest advantage as there's less time for others to catch up. I'll admit, I have no idea what I'm talking about as I've never been through this, so someone enlighten me.

From a perspective of athletics only, what's the best time to hold a child back?

Academic reasons should be the only reason you would hold a child back. If a child is not progressing academically or the maturity level is not where is should be you may want to consider holding a child back and I feel the best time to do that is at the elementary level.

Don't know but I think that holding a child back at the middle school or High School level may have some social implications among their peers.

I realize there can be huge difference in physical development levels between the ages of 13 to 16. But by the time they are Jr.s and Sr.s , the physical differences seem to even up.

Academic reasons should be the only reason you would hold a child back. If a child is not progressing academically or the maturity level is not where is should be you may want to consider holding a child back and I feel the best time to do that is at the elementary level.

Don't know but I think that holding a child back at the middle school or High School level may have some social implications among their peers.

I realize there can be huge difference in physical development levels between the ages of 13 to 16. But by the time they are Jr.s and Sr.s , the physical differences seem to even up.

I agree, but that's not reality. Reality is that hold backs for athletic reasons is more common than we probably think and academics is used to mask it. My thought is that, if athletically motivated, holding a child back in the early years may not provide a significant advantage over time.

I agree, but that's not reality. Reality is that hold backs for athletic reasons is more common than we probably think and academics is used to mask it. My thought is that, if athletically motivated, holding a child back in the early years may not provide a significant advantage over time.

If your going to hold them back then, I would hold them back early. You either make the decision to hold them back or you don't. Why wait til they are in High School?

If your going to hold them back then, I would hold them back early. You either make the decision to hold them back or you don't. Why wait til they are in High School?

I think you're absolutely right. I don't think you'd want to go beyond 6th or 7th grade. Sort of my point is that the benefits are debatable.

I'm assuming that one would hold a child back for athletic reasons to better their chances for an athletic scholly to help pay for college. Personnally I feel there are alot more academic scholarship opportunities and incentives out there to be obtained then there are athletic opportunities. This is why I would encourage the academic end of holding a child back. There is less of a chance of acheiving an athletic scholly than an academic. Parents that put all their eggs in the athletic basket are taking a huge risk in their childs future.

Athletics has more to do with a child's development than just scolarships. The KHSAA set a date and that is the mark. Nineteen after August 1st. By taking advantage of this rule you:

1. Have your children around for one more year to educate them about the ways of this big ole' scarry world.

2. One year differance is huge in high school athletics. This plays a big part on the child's self esteem. Children that feel good about themselves generally do well in and compete well in all ares of life.

3. Older kids certainly help the TEAM more as far as leaders and responsibility. Not always true, but in most cases, age makes a difference.

Just my Opinion......................

I dont think it is a common as you say. I also do not believe that parents use academics as an excuse. Either the child is struggling or he/she isnt.

The appropriate age to hold children back academically, or for maturity reasons, is very young. Most teachers/parents realize it by kindergarten or first grade. At that age, it is a rare child that stands out athletically.

I am not saying that it doesnt happen, because I am sure it does. Assuming that a child is doing well socially and academically, I think it is wrong to hold him/her back for athletics. Overall, it would do more harm than good.

I'm not in favor of ever holding a child back unless there is a severe learning curve deficiency. Its simple, someone has got to be the youngest in a class. In fact, I think it can even be advantageous. If they're somehwat behind, the teacher says, well, she/he's still a little young. If they get ahead, its "Wow, look what that young kid is doing."

I'm not in favor of ever holding a child back unless there is a severe learning curve deficiency. Its simple, someone has got to be the youngest in a class. In fact, I think it can even be advantageous. If they're somehwat behind, the teacher says, well, she/he's still a little young. If they get ahead, its "Wow, look what that young kid is doing."

I have to disagree with you on the "severe" issue. I think holding a late birthday child back who struggles is often a good idea. A year older, more mature, more confident makes all the difference in the world. Why let a child struggle when you can give them the opportunity to excel?

When the teacher says "he is a little behind because he is young", it may make the parent feel better, but the child knows he/she is behind as do his/her classmates. Self esteem starts early in life and the more you can build your child's the better he/she is.

As you can probably tell, I held a late birthday child back who was just a little behind. It was one of the best things I ever did for him.

I have to disagree with you on the "severe" issue. I think holding a late birthday child back who struggles is often a good idea. A year older, more mature, more confident makes all the difference in the world. Why let a child struggle when you can give them the opportunity to excel?

When the teacher says "he is a little behind because he is young", it may make the parent feel better, but the child knows he/she is behind as do his/her classmates. Self esteem starts early in life and the more you can build your child's the better he/she is.

As you can probably tell, I held a late birthday child back who was just a little behind. It was one of the best thing I ever did for him.

I did my son as well. 4.0 student that has had no ill effects. Now he stays with me until he is 19. Then, I send him off to college. Great choice for me and my family.

My son has an August 1 birthday. He will turn 18 at the beginning of his senior year. He's in 4th grade and I'm thrilled with his development. Can I imagine holding him back one more year, which I could? No way--he would be way too old for his classmates. What he might gain athletically would be just as detrimental to his emotional development. No freshman should be able to get his driver's license, IMO.

Alright folks, Beechwoodfan hit it on the head as some parents need to be. HOW do you know your kid is going to be in athletics in the 1st and 2and grade. Some kids don't develop until their later years. You are going to to let their peers go on and let them stay back? Just let your kids be kids everyone, if they excel in sports then enjoy it and appericate it as its happening.