February 6, 200818 yr Neltner was the 3rd best player in NKY his senior year. When head to head, I'd have taken Brock and Doellman before Ross. I don't think he really should be considered, nor should Doellman. They were obviously great players but nowhere near being on a list of best college players from KY. Neltner is at the bottom of the list. I agree I would take Doellman any day over Neltner. As for Lofton #1... Naw, I'm just kidding. He is umm pushing the top 50. But, if you would rank shooters he's towards the top of the list. There has been some good players come out of KY. Let's keep em comin'!!
February 6, 200818 yr Also Justin Doellman of Ryle who played at Xavier and led them to an elite 8. Hang on lets get something strait... I believe that Doellman was on a team at Xavier that went to the elite 8 and was a contributor but Romaine Sato, Lionel Chalmers, and most importantly David West led them to the elite 8... Someone correct me if I'm wrong...
February 7, 200818 yr Also Justin Doellman of Ryle who played at Xavier and led them to an elite 8. Hang on lets get something strait... I believe that Doellman was on a team at Xavier that went to the elite 8 and was a contributor but Romaine Sato, Lionel Chalmers, and most importantly David West led them to the elite 8... Someone correct me if I'm wrong... You're as cool as the other side of the pillow. And you also happen to be absolutely correct.
February 7, 200818 yr Also Justin Doellman of Ryle who played at Xavier and led them to an elite 8. Hang on lets get something strait... I believe that Doellman was on a team at Xavier that went to the elite 8 and was a contributor but Romaine Sato, Lionel Chalmers, and most importantly David West led them to the elite 8... Someone correct me if I'm wrong... Was not on that team he graduated the year before. Sato and Chalmers senior year.
February 7, 200818 yr Dave Cowens from NewCath has to be on the list. Born on October 25, 1948 in Newport, Kentucky, Cowens attended Florida State University (1966-1970), where he averaged 19.0 points and 17.2 rebounds in 78 career games with the Seminoles. He earned his bachelor of science degree in criminology while at FSU and guided the Seminoles to a 23-3 record during his senior season, when he earned All-American accolades. Surprisingly, he earned a basketball scholarship to Florida State despite not playing the sport until his junior year at Newport (Ky.) Central Catholic High School. NBA STATS G FG% 3PFG% FT% Rebs RPG Asts APG Stls Blks Pts PPG 766 .460 .071 .783 10,444 13.6 2,910 3.8 599 488 13,516 17.6
February 7, 200818 yr Wasn't there a Kentucky player who played for Furman in the '50s or '60s and led the nation in scoring, and also scored 100 points in a game?
February 7, 200818 yr When talking about how good he ws in the era he played in, Ralph Beard would be way up there. I believe judging by what I have heard, I don't have film to prove it that he may quite possibly been the best guard of his time. By all accounts I have heard he thoroughly outplayed Bob Cousy.
February 7, 200818 yr King Kelly Coleman may have been the best high school player ever in KY but he didn't go onto have a matching college career. I'm pretty sure he ended up at KWC. There is a very good book out about the King. I'd recommend it. Your correct he did go to KWC. He was an All-American there, and is still their 3rd leading scorer and 6th leading rebounder, however, he only played in 75 games. For his career at KWC he averaged 27.7 ppg & 12.1 rpg.
February 7, 200818 yr What about Scott Draud from Highlands who went on to Vandy. He could fill it up.
February 7, 200818 yr What about Scott Draud from Highlands who went on to Vandy. He could fill it up. Best shooter I have ever seen....Averaged over 30 points a game his senior year with out a 3 point line...If there would of been a 3 point line he would of averaged 40 or more...:thumb:
February 7, 200818 yr Erwin Stepp Ervin Stepp. Went to EKU. He was a great High School guard but did little at EKU. His brother Jimmy Stepp was actually a better player for the Colonels and they were there about the same time ('81 to '83 ?).
February 7, 200818 yr Wasn't there a Kentucky player who played for Furman in the '50s or '60s and led the nation in scoring, and also scored 100 points in a game? Frank Selvey from Corbin,also played with the Lakers and Jerry West.
February 7, 200818 yr Your correct he did go to KWC. He was an All-American there, and is still their 3rd leading scorer and 6th leading rebounder, however, he only played in 75 games. For his career at KWC he averaged 27.7 ppg & 12.1 rpg. Thanks. I didn't realize he had that strong of a college career. It does go to show the difference in the times. He had WVU and UK recruiting him yet chooses KWC .
February 7, 200818 yr Ervin Stepp. Went to EKU. He was a great High School guard but did little at EKU. His brother Jimmy Stepp was actually a better player for the Colonels and they were there about the same time ('81 to '83 ?). If the category is "best college career" ol' Ervin isn't on the list. He graduated in 1980 and was wrongly named Mr. Basketball instead of Dicky Beal.
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.