Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Best College Player to ever come out of the State of KY

Featured Replies

This would be a bette question if you put the players in years such as the 50's, 60's, 70's,80's,90.s and 2000. There have been so many good player's from 1950 til now that have been very good. Just my opinion! I would say he is top 25 that have come out of Kentucky in the last 10 years. JD

  • Replies 62
  • Views 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Jim McDaniels belongs in the conversation.

Unseld

Beard

Chapman

Houston

It would be hard to argue against Unseld...Darrell Griffith was obviously a great one too.

 

Allan Houston would rate #1 on my list of players I've seen.

 

I do have a soft spot for Rex Chapman though...he'd be my favorite.

Lofton is a top 25-50 player.

 

Agree.

Wes Unseld. IMO, Lofton is in the top 50.

Rex Chapman

Wah Wah Jones

Wes Unseld

Ralph Beard

Darrell Griffith

Larry Conley

Cliff Hagan

Bill Spivey

Alan Houston

Dwayne Casey

Jack Givens

Dirk Minnifield

 

Also, someone give me some help on this one.....there was a legend in the Mountains called "King Kelly" ????......there is more and I just cannot think of the name right now. Anyway, this was legendary story out of the Mountains. I beleive that he played for the "Waylan Wasp" ???

 

 

I am sure that there are many more that fit in this group, those are just some names that I had thought of. Kentucky has produced so many great h.s. players it would be impoissible to list them all. C. Lofton Definately belongs on the list as well, where at would be hard to say.

Also, someone give me some help on this one.....there was a legend in the Mountains called "King Kelly" ????......there is more and I just cannot think of the name right now. Anyway, this was legendary story out of the Mountains. I beleive that he played for the "Waylan Wasp" ???

 

Kelly Coleman is who you're thinking of. He's a legend.

What about Dave Cowens?

Oldrambler--I thought Bill Spivey was from Georgia?

Rex Chapman

Wah Wah Jones

Wes Unseld

Ralph Beard

Darrell Griffith

Larry Conley

Cliff Hagan

Bill Spivey

Alan Houston

Dwayne Casey

Jack Givens

Dirk Minnifield

 

Also, someone give me some help on this one.....there was a legend in the Mountains called "King Kelly" ????......there is more and I just cannot think of the name right now. Anyway, this was legendary story out of the Mountains. I beleive that he played for the "Waylan Wasp" ???

 

 

I am sure that there are many more that fit in this group, those are just some names that I had thought of. Kentucky has produced so many great h.s. players it would be impoissible to list them all. C. Lofton Definately belongs on the list as well, where at would be hard to say.

 

 

Here are some more I thought of: (BTW Spivey was from Georgia I believe)

 

Jeff Mullins (Duke All-American) from Lexington

Frank Ramsey (2 time UK All-American and Celtic great)

Johnny Cox

Ron King (great small forward for Flordia State)

Dave Cowens

Butch Beard (Great guard for UL)

Clem Haskins

Dwight Smith (WKU)

Greg Smith (WKU)

Jim McDaniels (WKU)

Kenny Higgs (LSU)

Durand Macklin (LSU)

Jimmie Dan Conner (UK) from Lawrenceburg I think

Aggie Sales (UK)

 

 

These are just some of the Kentucky talent that had excellent careers in college and many of them later in the pros. Is Lofton part of that group? Probably worth discussion. I don't know if he's top 25 or 50 by any means but perhaps he would be in the top 100 of discussion.

1.) Wes Unseld

1a.) Rex Chapman

 

 

(If this thread was started fishing for everyone to say Lofton, he's not near top 10. Maybe ONE of the best UT has had, though. Ernie and Bernie are 1 and 1a there.)

He may be the best set up/3pointer shooter to come out of the state (big maybe) but is no where NEAR the best to come out of the state.) Have to agree mostly with Hatz and Old Rambler's lists. Their guys were solid on BOTH sides of the ball and took games over. Lofton gets hot and helps his team out.

I'll throw in Rodney Woods from Lone Jack who went to UT.

 

What is the Globetrotter's name that played for Lynch back in the day?

I think that Jeff Hall from Fairview and played on National Champion team at Louisville would be considered in the top 50.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.