Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Best College Player to ever come out of the State of KY

Featured Replies

My top 5 are:

Wes Unseld. #1

Darrell Griffith #2

Rex Chapman, Dave Cowens, Ralph Beard, Frank Ramsey

  • Replies 62
  • Views 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Author
I would say I'm surprised coming from you, but that would be a lie...

 

Name 25 BETTER. That means better, not as good.

  • Author
1.) Wes Unseld

1a.) Rex Chapman

 

 

(If this thread was started fishing for everyone to say Lofton, he's not near top 10. Maybe ONE of the best UT has had, though. Ernie and Bernie are 1 and 1a there.)

He may be the best set up/3pointer shooter to come out of the state (big maybe) but is no where NEAR the best to come out of the state.) Have to agree mostly with Hatz and Old Rambler's lists. Their guys were solid on BOTH sides of the ball and took games over. Lofton gets hot and helps his team out.

 

I never said he was the best. I just wanted to see where others have him ranked. I say around top 25.

Where would Dickie Beal and Doug Schloemer of Holmes rank on these lists?

 

Also, what about the more recent players like Neltner of Highlands who is now at Vanderbilt? He was KY Mr Basketball his senior year. Also Justin Doellman of Ryle who played at Xavier and led them to an elite 8.

 

I think the only fair way to classify them is by decades. Kentucky has produced too much talent to really rank them except for maybe a top 5 or 10. (Unseld, Chapman, Allen Houston, etc.)

Where would Dickie Beal and Doug Schloemer of Holmes rank on these lists?

 

Also, what about the more recent players like Neltner of Highlands who is now at Vanderbilt? He was KY Mr Basketball his senior year. Also Justin Doellman of Ryle who played at Xavier and led them to an elite 8.

 

I think the only fair way to classify them is by decades. Kentucky has produced too much talent to really rank them except for maybe a top 5 or 10. (Unseld, Chapman, Allen Houston, etc.)

 

Neltner was the 3rd best player in NKY his senior year. When head to head, I'd have taken Brock and Doellman before Ross. I don't think he really should be considered, nor should Doellman. They were obviously great players but nowhere near being on a list of best college players from KY.

Richie Farmer and John Pelphrey although to me heart and work ethic mean more than natural talent!

Lofton is one of the best shooters ever to come from the state. I'm sorry but to me there is no comparison to the great Darrel Griffith, Wes Unseld, Goose Givens, Rex Chapman, Wah Wah Jones, and many others who were much more complete players.

 

Anyone remember Travis Grant who played at Kentucky State or Kentucky Weslyan? Was he a Kentucky product? What about Elmore Stephens?

Also, someone give me some help on this one.....there was a legend in the Mountains called "King Kelly" ????......there is more and I just cannot think of the name right now. Anyway, this was legendary story out of the Mountains. I beleive that he played for the "Waylan Wasp" ???

 

 

I.

 

King Kelly Coleman may have been the best high school player ever in KY but he didn't go onto have a matching college career. I'm pretty sure he ended up at KWC.

 

There is a very good book out about the King. I'd recommend it.

Who was the 7'0" for KY State that played for the Lakers. Elmore Smith?

 

He went to high school in Georgia.

Jeff Lamp & Jeff Jones. Didn't they both go to Virginia?

What about Dave Cowens?

Oldrambler--I thought Bill Spivey was from Georgia?

He may have been, I was just thinking that he was from Ky.

Here are some more I thought of: (BTW Spivey was from Georgia I believe)

 

Jeff Mullins (Duke All-American) from Lexington

Frank Ramsey (2 time UK All-American and Celtic great)

Johnny Cox

Ron King (great small forward for Flordia State)

Dave Cowens

Butch Beard (Great guard for UL)

Clem Haskins

Dwight Smith (WKU)

Greg Smith (WKU)

Jim McDaniels (WKU)

Kenny Higgs (LSU)

Durand Macklin (LSU)

Jimmie Dan Conner (UK) from Lawrenceburg I think

Aggie Sales (UK)

 

 

These are just some of the Kentucky talent that had excellent careers in college and many of them later in the pros. Is Lofton part of that group? Probably worth discussion. I don't know if he's top 25 or 50 by any means but perhaps he would be in the top 100 of discussion.

:thumb: No way of judging everyone.

I think that Jeff Hall from Fairview and played on National Champion team at Louisville would be considered in the top 50.

:thumb: Another one and he is from the area/region that I live.

Richie Farmer and John Pelphrey although to me heart and work ethic mean more than natural talent!
:thumb: I forgot two of the unforgettables :eek:

 

:thumb::thumb: These are all legit entries and just backs up what a lot of us have been saying, this state has been and is basketball rich and imo there is no way that we could list all and let alone put them in any order.

King Kelly Coleman may have been the best high school player ever in KY but he didn't go onto have a matching college career. I'm pretty sure he ended up at KWC.

 

There is a very good book out about the King. I'd recommend it.

 

Thank you!

What about 7 footer Tom Boerwinkle who played for MMI in the 60's and went to TN for College Ball. Drafted by the Bulls in 1968 and played for them around 10 years or so.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.