Okay folks, tell me...

This is the argument that I just do not get. Republicans are okay with wasting trillions of dollars in Iraq that doesn't directly involve any American civilians. BUT it will break just to spend a fraction of that amount on U.S. citizens. I could understand not spending the money but to be okay with spending it on a war but not health care?? I just dont get it...

I agree with RTS, why do people feel like it should be something they are entitled to?

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is the argument that I just do not get. Republicans are okay with wasting trillions of dollars in Iraq that doesn't directly involve any American civilians. BUT it will break just to spend a fraction of that amount on U.S. citizens. I could understand not spending the money but to be okay with spending it on a war but not health care?? I just dont get it...

I remember a time not that long ago (about 1982) when HMO's didn't exist and medical insurance only covered the big stuff. It also didn't cover experimental and risky procedures. If you wanted to go to the doctor, you paid for it. Then HMO's came about and everyone suddenly thought that health insurance should pay for every possible health problem. That is until insurance companies figured out they couldn't cover everything at the old insurance rates. So they raised rates and negotiated prices with doctors to help keep rates down. Yet all you hear is how they're screwing the people. When my father was a kid, their was no health insurance. Today everyone has a "right" to health coverage on someone else's dime.

I posted this in another thread but thought it fit here to....

Watching Huckabee's speech, I am reminded again why I like him.

He is so much like each and every one of us. He has lived in homes like everyone of us. He was born to a regular old American family and has experienced what we have experienced.

I get the same feeling with Obama.

The rest I don't. McCain was the son of an admiral. That has to have advantages that I will never see. Romney was born with a silver spoon and does not know what it is like to wonder where you are going to get the money for the next house payment.

Huckabee is the ONLY candidate that I believe TRULY knows what it is like in everyday America.

He told the story tonight of being an 8-year old boy and his father taking him to hear the governor give a speech at a lake dedication. And his father telling him that it will probably be the only time in his life that the boy will get to see a governor in real life because governors didn't come to their part of the world.

Don't know about your information, but a couple with 3 kids earning 85,000 per year will see an INCREASE in their taxes of about $3,700 if we return to the 2000 tax level.

Yep, I understand that the taxes for these two public school teachers will go up, if we return to the tax responsibilities before the Bush tax cuts.

I find it interesting that when they talk about education in this country, I am a poor underpaid teacher but when they talk about the Bush tax cuts, I am wealthy.

They have me so confused, I guess I am the poorest wealthy person in the country.:lol:

Exhibit A: In Barack's speech he just said that they have to quit the taxes breaks for the wealthy and said we have to reward financially the underpaid teachers.

Don't get it, huh? See France, they are going to go bankrupt with their health care program. It's a bad deal.

I remember a time not that long ago (about 1982) when HMO's didn't exist and medical insurance only covered the big stuff. It also didn't cover experimental and risky procedures. If you wanted to go to the doctor, you paid for it. Then HMO's came about and everyone suddenly thought that health insurance should pay for every possible health problem. That is until insurance companies figured out they couldn't cover everything at the old insurance rates. So they raised rates and negotiated prices with doctors to help keep rates down. Yet all you hear is how they're screwing the people. When my father was a kid, their was no health insurance. Today everyone has a "right" to health coverage on someone else's dime.
Exactly! :thumb:

Everyone today is so much into this entitlement crap.

Every war has a beginning and an end. Entitlements are not as eay to end as wars and they only whet the appetite of voters for more entitlements.

When your dad was a kid, most minorities weren't allowed to vote. I swear, I can't believe those African-Americans thought they had the "right" to vote. I swear things were sooo much better when your dad was a kid. Why in the world should we have to change. I mean computers are terrible, cellphones.

My point is. Just because we haven't done it in the past doesn't make it wrong. I'm arguing that spending $$$$$ in Iraq, is still spending $$$$$. I don't get that health care is a big NO but Iraq is OK.

Don't get it, huh? See France, they are going to go bankrupt with their health care program. It's a bad deal.

ok lets put it clearer. Why is spending 9 trillion dollars in Iraq OKAY but spending a fraction of that on MILLIONS of people is WRONG??

Whether your France, Guam or the U.S. Spending money on a war or on healthcare is still spending money.

The argument that I dont get is this. Let's use McCain for example.

1. We will be in Iraq for the next 50 to 100 years = TRILLIONS

2. Healthcare costs too much = would not cost nearly as much as a war & would actually help hundreds of millions of people.

ok lets put it clearer. Why is spending 9 trillion dollars in Iraq OKAY but spending a fraction of that on MILLIONS of people is WRONG??

Whether your France, Guam or the U.S. Spending money on a war or on healthcare is still spending money.

The argument that I dont get is this. Let's use McCain for example.

1. We will be in Iraq for the next 50 to 100 years = TRILLIONS

2. Healthcare costs too much = would not cost nearly as much as a war & would actually help hundreds of millions of people.

:thumb::thumb: I couldn't agree more. I have never claimed to be the sharpest knife in the drawer, but this makes no sense to me either

When your dad was a kid, most minorities weren't allowed to vote. I swear, I can't believe those African-Americans thought they had the "right" to vote. I swear things were sooo much better when your dad was a kid. Why in the world should we have to change. I mean computers are terrible, cellphones.

My point is. Just because we haven't done it in the past doesn't make it wrong. I'm arguing that spending $$$$$ in Iraq, is still spending $$$$$. I don't get that health care is a big NO but Iraq is OK.

That would make my father 139 years old. :rolleyes:

But you didn't answer the question. When did we get the unalienable right to have all of our medical needs taken care of on someone else's dime?

That would make my father 139 years old. :rolleyes:

But you didn't answer the question. When did we get the unalienable right to have all of our medical needs taken care of on someone else's dime?

Well actually the Poll Tax was not eliminated until 1966 with the 24th Amendment. Poll Taxes were discriminatory against all poor but especially MINORITIES!!

So, answer me this. was your dad born in 1966?

I support Barack Obama which states we will lower healthcare rates. His belief and mine are that if people can afford insurance & care, they will purchase it. Hillary Clinton support mandates, not me or Barack.

I support Barack Obama which states we will lower healthcare rates. His belief and mine are that if people can afford insurance & care, they will purchase it. Hillary Clinton support mandates, not me or Barack.

So how is that different from what's happening now?

Well actually the Poll Tax was not eliminated until 1966 with the 24th Amendment. Poll Taxes were discriminatory against all poor but especially MINORITIES!!

So, answer me this. was your dad born in 1966?

Difference between discriminatory, (above post) and were not allowed to vote (previous post).]

FWIW, if a person truly needs and cannot afford it, I have no problem of the government providing it. The difference would be defining "truly needs it."

I am not sure that there is a poster on here that wouldn't say that there are populations out there that the government should be providing it. Adults who are mentally handicapped is one population that jumps to the forefront as an example.

Now, some of the people who I went to HS with and they said education was stupid and they didn't need it because they were going to make $10 an hour with no benefits, so they dropped out because the teachers were stupid and picking on them when they misbehaved and now they are struggling and want somebody to make their poor decisions right, not sure that is truly needy.