Senior Leadership....how do you lead when.....

I have read several posts today that mention senior leadership. I agree that the seniors need to step up and set the tone for the team-here are my questions and I look forward to your responses.

What do you do when some of your seniors are committed and some are not but they are all given equal responsibility on the team? Some choose to take the "fun" role becuase it is easier and set a poor example for the younger players while others are trying to set a good example, work hard, play hard, etc which entails the younger players to not want to follow because it is not "fun" enough or they might have to work too hard. This causes confusion among all the players and frustration among the players that are trying to be good leaders. Your thoughts on how to handle that...

Also,... any suggestions on how to provide good leadership for players who don't care about the team- they only care about themselves, their stats, etc?

all excellent points. I think it's also good for the coach to identify who has the qualities to be a good leader and then to sit down with that player and explain how you would like them to be the leader. The player however must be willing to accept the role and understand the responsibilities that go with it. Some players do not want the role because they just want to be liked by all their teammates and want to avoid any conflicts. If the player accepts the role, they need to know that the coach will back them up in tough situations.

all excellent points. I think it's also good for the coach to identify who has the qualities to be a good leader and then to sit down with that player and explain how you would like them to be the leader. The player however must be willing to accept the role and understand the responsibilities that go with it. Some players do not want the role because they just want to be liked by all their teammates and want to avoid any conflicts. If the player accepts the role, they need to know that the coach will back them up in tough situations.
Excellent point! Couldn't have said it better.:thumb:

All great replies.

I agree that your leader does not necessarily need to be vocal but must lead by example. Actions speak louder than words...funny how we all go back to ides we learned when we were little.

I also agree that the coach has a significant decision in determining who they want to put in that position which takes me back to my original question. When a player, who may be talented but does not demonstrate a good work ethic, team work, or a positive attitude- (all values desirable of a true leader) you are asking for trouble. What happens when the coach chooses the wrong person?

All great replies.

I agree that your leader does not necessarily need to be vocal but must lead by example. Actions speak louder than words...funny how we all go back to ides we learned when we were little.

I also agree that the coach has a significant decision in determining who they want to put in that position which takes me back to my original question. When a player, who may be talented but does not demonstrate a good work ethic, team work, or a positive attitude- (all values desirable of a true leader) you are asking for trouble. What happens when the coach chooses the wrong person?

I do not think the coach can decide who the leader will be. That will be decided by the actions or inactions of the players on the team. The coach can "choose" who they like but the players may actually follow someone elses lead.

If the team follows someone who is a bad leader, it is the coach's responsibilty to do his/her best to find another player on the team who sets a better example. There may not be a player like that, but the coach should try to find one. Unfortunately, players sometimes follow the wrong type player and with girls, they tend to take sides. But the coach should do his/her best to identify the qualities of a good leader, regardless if they are a senior or not, and work with that player to help her become a better leader. Good dialogue from everyone!!!:thumb:

The worst thing that can happen is the leader is a negative force on the team and takes the team in a different direction than the Coach wants.

I think sometimes these Seasons are lost because no one will oust the leader, or say anything back. Sometimes they decide they do not have to follow the rules and they can get away with anything. In that case it is better to just prepare for the next year and hope the person comes around and if not be ready to take the appropriate action.