How to even 6A

RowdyRedRam

In order to eliminate the private schools dominance of the 6A system we need to consider the following action Consolidation.

The difference between St X and T in numbers of boy is marginal 1397 to 1420. I used the average of the two numbering at 1408 and calculated their advantage in numbers over local 6A schools.

Eastern 30% (meaning Trinity and St X have 30% more boys than Eastern)

PRP 35%

Seneca 39%

Manual 41%

Ballard 43%

Southern 44%

Male 47%

Butler 48%

By making the following schools through merger we would create an opposite advantage to the one currently held by the private schools.

Balastern 1792 =21% (meaning Balastern has 21% more boys than STX or T)

BRP 1699 = 17%

Southerneca 1636 = 14%

Malenual 1567 = 10%

A quick look at the numbers will illustrate that consolidating these schools wouldn’t even match the current advantage that the private schools hold over the publics.

The point I want to make is not that we really need to consider consolidation, nor am I for the expulsion of X and T (I rather like competing against them), but rather to shine a brighter light on the issue of numerical dominance that is shared by Trinity and X. More and more I see this as the paramount reason why they have the stranglehold on the 6A title. More than assumed recruiting, coaching, or just plain trying harder. These schools do have a significant calculable advantage over the rest of the class.

Would St X and Trinity be great football schools in the midst of Balastern and Malenual? Actually, they probably would be. But they wouldn't dominate the way they have.

Numbers used from

http://www.khsaa.org/football/realignment/schoolenrollmentandnotesuseforrealignment.pdf

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In order to eliminate the private schools dominance of the 6A system we need to consider the following action Consolidation.

The difference between St X and T in numbers of boy is marginal 1397 to 1420. I used the average of the two numbering at 1408 and calculated their advantage in numbers over local 6A schools.

Eastern 30% (meaning Trinity and St X have 30% more boys than Eastern)

PRP 35%

Seneca 39%

Manual 41%

Ballard 43%

Southern 44%

Male 47%

Butler 48%

By making the following schools through merger we would create an opposite advantage to the one currently held by the private schools.

Balastern 1792 =21% (meaning Balastern has 21% more boys than STX or T)

BRP 1699 = 17%

Southerneca 1636 = 14%

Malenual 1567 = 10%

A quick look at the numbers will illustrate that consolidating these schools wouldn’t even match the current advantage that the private schools hold over the publics.

The point I want to make is not that we really need to consider consolidation, nor am I for the expulsion of X and T (I rather like competing against them), but rather to shine a brighter light on the issue of numerical dominance that is shared by Trinity and X. More and more I see this as the paramount reason why they have the stranglehold on the 6A title. More than assumed recruiting, coaching, or just plain trying harder. These schools do have a significant calculable advantage over the rest of the class.

Would St X and Trinity be great football schools in the midst of Balastern and Malenual? Actually, they probably would be. But they wouldn't dominate the way they have.

Numbers used from

http://www.khsaa.org/football/realignment/schoolenrollmentandnotesuseforrealignment.pdf

I love it! Malenual, Sotherenecca, Balastern, BRP!!! That's hillarious

:laugh:

It wasn't that long ago that Trinity had 1,000 guys and they were still beating up on most of the schools you had listed. If it was just about numbers, why wouldn't schools like Dunbar and Henderson be bigger players year in, year out? Afterall, Dunbar has 40% more boys than Manual and 56% more than Male. While interesting to think about, it's certainly not all about the numbers.

A Jefferson County School employee and I were discussing this last night. If you close Atherton, Iroquois,Western, Waggener, Moore and one other, you could average 1800 kids per school and since most buildings were built to accomodate 2000 or more students, the new superintendent could still try to achieve his goal of "20 kids per classroom". The teachers would still have their jobs. Some administrators might lose their positions. The savings would be awesome to Jefferson County tax payers.

Think back to the 70s when Trinity and St. X had roughly 700-900 boys. Southern was huge, with around 2500 students. Ballard was brand new and busting at the seems. Butler was competitive with more than 2000 students.

Atherton was competitive. Manual was until busing. Football was more balanced because the numbers were more fairly distributed.

It wasn't that long ago that Trinity had 1,000 guys and they were still beating up on most of the schools you had listed. If it was just about numbers, why wouldn't schools like Dunbar and Henderson be bigger players year in, year out? Afterall, Dunbar has 40% more boys than Manual and 56% more than Male. While interesting to think about, it's certainly not all about the numbers.
The numbers I have come to a different result as far as Dunbar is concerned (28 to Manual 38 to Male). Regardless, there is more than just numbers I don't dispute that. But would you argue that a combined team of Male and Manual wouldn't be significantly more talented than either team alone. The biggest difference would be the depth at the line, an area that currently X and T hold the most significant advantage.

Check out my avatar. A picture says a million words.

Some facts to chew over my friend. The biggest school that you have to face has a 37% advantage over you. Most 6A schools have to overcome a bigger gap than you do (even though you play two classes up) in order to face T and X.

You would have to add the population of boys at Highlands to Eastern High School to equal the number at Trinity. Your telling me adding the Highlands football team to Eastern wouldn't make them better?

Highlands has a great program, for reasons that I'm not aware of. What I am aware of is that if Male, Manual, Ballard, PRP, and Eastern had as much depth as Trinity and St X they would be significantly more competitive.

This is a problem in Boone County. Some, but not all, powers that be in Boone County (meaning Boone County, Ryle, Conner, and now Cooper) do a lot of belly aching because T and X are so much bigger than them yet they keep building new schools. In other words, it is a choice (at least in Boone County).

I understand education is first and foremost and in Boone County they feel the need to keep building high schools but you can't have it both ways.

It's the feeder system. When you have kids start learning the game in the second grade - IT'S A HUGH ADVANTAGE! Even the not so talented athletes at least know the game well enough to be affective on the field.

This is a problem in Boone County. Some, but not all, powers that be in Boone County (meaning Boone County, Ryle, Conner, and now Cooper) do a lot of belly aching because T and X are so much bigger than them yet they keep building new schools. In other words, it is a choice (at least in Boone County).

I understand education is first and foremost and in Boone County they feel the need to keep building high schools but you can't have it both ways.

I think one of the things that baffles me about all of this is why are they building new schools when they could just as easily, and probably for far less money, expand their current facilities and hire more teachers? That is what we have done and it has worked very well for us. It isn't the number of students in the school that makes the difference educationally it is the number of students to teachers.

Some facts to chew over my friend. The biggest school that you have to face has a 37% advantage over you. Most 6A schools have to overcome a bigger gap than you do (even though you play two classes up) in order to face T and X.

You would have to add the population of boys at Highlands to Eastern High School to equal the number at Trinity. Your telling me adding the Highlands football team to Eastern wouldn't make them better?

Highlands has a great program, for reasons that I'm not aware of. What I am aware of is that if Male, Manual, Ballard, PRP, and Eastern had as much depth as Trinity and St X they would be significantly more competitive.

Highlands has played all the NKY 6A schools recently and routinely beats them. There's a saying, hmmm something about a dog and a fight.