Does your team travel overnight

Just sitting here and was looking at all the schools on the KHSAA website that play in various Christmas Tournaments throughout the state and even out of state and was wondering what various schools policies were on teams traveling to tournaments or camps that required overnight stays in hotels. It seems to me a great many schools allow their teams to travel and enjoy what should be a very rewarding experience for the student/athlete and then I have talked to a few that for whatever reasons seem to be adamently opposed . Personally I think you have to provide your kids with opportunities and experiences like this whenever possible. I was wondering what others may think or any thoughts you might have on the subject.

Owsley County allows their students to participate in overnight trips/activities. These trips must be approved by the school council and the board. Once approved, the parents must come in and sign permission forms and a affidavit allowing school personnel to seek medical attention, if necessary. After doing this for several years, this has come in handy several times. Yes, I agree with you, these trips are great educational opportunities for students and schools should allow these kind of trips as much as possible. They are alot of work for the adults, but this opportunity for the students are worth it.

Going to overnight tournaments and camps are great ways for teams to "bond" together and develop that chemistry that is needed for a championship team. If you make it to the big dance at the end, then the experience from a holiday tournament could be invaluable. It's tough playing games when you are out of your comfort zone and not sleeping in your own bed. One must be careful in scheduling so that the tournament you play in is at the level that your team can compete and that is difficult to predict.

Another factor is the cost and how good you are at fund raising.

I would guess that typically there will be a few girls on each varsity team who (whom?) have had travel experience with their AAU teams. It is a great opportunity for the school team to bond in a setting away from their school.

If the opportunity exists, every team should do it.

Grant County (both girls & boys varsity) travel on a "big" trip over the Christmas break every other year. It allows each player as they come through the program at least one opportunity to go. This year to Fort Lauderdale. The last trip was to Phoenix. It also allows the boosters 2 years to raise money to give these kids an opportunity to travel. Some parents also go at their own expense with the teams.

• 4 weeks later...

I enjoyed reading the comments of NewCath coach Christie McDonald with regards to the All A Tourney and especially her comment with regard to taking trips away from their normal setting and the benefits that it has for the players. She says trips like that and other similar type trips are very good for team chemistry and help bring the team together in a very positive way.

I just wish those schools that are so closed minded with regards to travel for their various teams would realize that there are probably far more benefits for the kids to learn then the negatives that school administrators always want to hide behind. Sure there are risks as there are with everything but you also have to provide opportunities for kids as well.

All it takes is for one kid to screw up and blow it for a whole school or school district. I think this happened in Kenton County a few years back. Still not sure if they are allowed to travel. The players need to realize that going on these trips is great for them, but their behavior will determine if anyone else from their program will ever get to go again.

:thumb:

All it takes is for one kid to screw up and blow it for a whole school or school district. I think this happened in Kenton County a few years back. Still not sure if they are allowed to travel. The players need to realize that going on these trips is great for them, but their behavior will determine if anyone else from their program will ever get to go again.

I agree but the kids certainly deserve at least a chance to prove they can be responsibile enough to be allowed to go on these type trips. Sometimes I think administrators don't give their kids enough credit or just don't want to put the work into it to provide for these type of opportunities.