Whitley Co. vs Williamsburg predictions

I agree with the Jones and Osborne part, those 2 combined to outscore W'burg's entire team, I don't agree with the "and company" part though. Maybe I should, because the "and company" definitely helped to provide the defensive pressure, but on the offensive end it was all Jones and Osborne.

I certailny hope that the Lady Jackets "thought they could beat them." I'd hate to ever take a team into a game that they thought they couldn't win.

Last time I checked it takes 5 to play the game and basicly by putting "and company" I was just too lazy to list all the players. Even as good as Jones and Osborne are they could not hav beat Williamsburg 2 on 5. As far as thinking they could beat them Williamsburg came in 4-0 and was feeling pretty good about themselves, and to be honest there have been times over the years Williamsburg brought teams into the game that could not compete and probably knew it going in. Actually it could have been worse, Holbrook for Whitley was out and she could have been added to the list if she had played. Alot of the easy baskets that Jones and Osborne had were set up by great defense and steals by the other players on the floor so "and company" was pretty accurate.

As I said, "and company" definitely helped provide the defense.

I hate that for Holbrook, it appeared she rolled an ankle in warm ups. I hope she is not out long.

The biggest difference in the teams is/was the quickness of the Whitley guards.

I just hope the next time they play, the W'burg girls walk on the floor believing they can win.

Are you saying that Whitley County holds kids back because they are immature and not because they want to compete with programs such as Clay County for the Regional. Or are you trying to say that the students at Williamsburg are not as mature as the students in the county system, therefore they loose more basketball games to the county.You know why they are held back. To gain experience at the varsity level so they have the best chance of winning and making the administration and coaches look good. If you want to hold your kid back for a year, then by all means hold them back. I just think you should be mature enough to tell the truth about why you're holding them back.

I have no problem with what they do and I realize that it is common practice at many schools. They can't do it for "additional" years of varsity experience, only to make them "later" years. You still only get 4 years after promotion from grade 8. Granted they may occasionally get an 8th grader to play varsity which gets them 5 years of high school ball (like the Barton boy at W'burg). For the most part it is done so that their senior year they are older, more physically mature, etc.

I was just offering an opinion on the reason for the dominance. In addition to the fact that Whitley can choose from 600+ girls in grades 9-12 and W'burg can choose from 100+ girls.

Also,the difference in the feeder programs/facilities. Every Whitley elementary has their own gym. Meaning that their elementary teams can practice every day. Williamsburg has 1 gym for K-12, so you know the elementary girls get very little gym time. Thanks to the generousity of a local church, the girls are able to get some additionial practice time there.

I sure didn't mean to take anything away from Coach Anderson, his staff, and their girls. I respect all of them, I respect the tradition of girls basketball that he/they have established. Heck, I am envious.

I just think for a small school, that doesn't hold kids back, that has limited facilities, that excels academically, Coach Rains and his staff put a fine product on the floor...and...that the major difference between the 2 teams I watched last night was the quickness of the Whitley guards.

Are you saying that Whitley County holds kids back because they are immature and not because they want to compete with programs such as Clay County for the Regional. Or are you trying to say that the students at Williamsburg are not as mature as the students in the county system, therefore they loose more basketball games to the county.You know why they are held back. To gain experience at the varsity level so they have the best chance of winning and making the administration and coaches look good. If you want to hold your kid back for a year, then by all means hold them back. I just think you should be mature enough to tell the truth about why you're holding them back.

Now don't go putting words in my mouth. Besides my maturity is not in question right? The schools don't hold them back it is the parents, I think you would find that most schools would like kids to be older and wiser, it would certianly help the CATS testing results. Were you more mature (physically, metnally and emotionally) at 17 or 19? It helps, there is no doubt about it. Sure some parents hold their children back for athletic purposes, that is no secret, but to say that all the girls are hold backs just for athletic purposes is wrong, many of the parents looked at the big picture and saw the many benifits of getting that extra year. Sure they get extra maturity physically which helps them in sports but also when they head off to college and their playing days are over, they have the maturity to handle the responsiblity of being away and on their own.

Here I am agreeing with Apex again. The only negative I see is the classroom boredom during the 2nd year in the same grade. That's why I think the younger the better for the holdback. But let's play devil's advocate here. What do you think the comparison is of "hold backs that are athletes" to "hold backs that are not athletes?"

Here I am agreeing with Apex again. The only negative I see is the classroom boredom during the 2nd year in the same grade. That's why I think the younger the better for the holdback. But let's play devil's advocate here. What do you think the comparison is of "hold backs that are athletes" to "hold backs that are not athletes?"

I would say that the LARGE majority of hold backs are for athletic purposes. Both of mine were held back in the fourth grade, one for athletic purposes one not, although it was not for grades, there were maturity issues. It is a decision that has paid off. Alot of kids who are termed as hold backs are really not, they started late and from alot of the parents I know, that seems to be a trend based on long term payoffs like better academics in high school and college. I graduated at 17, in fact I started college at 17 and I was not ready for the responsiblity of college and that was the biggest reason I held my two back. Boredom was a small problem but the second time through both of mine were on the acedemic team, which help their confidence in the classroom.

Back to the game, I think that Holbrook being out may have help the Lady Colonels in the long run. It should give them confidence to play without her and help develop depth. They were able to still play at a high level and played with a tremendous amount of intensity.