Belfry vs. Louisville Central 3A State Championship

iPapi

Who wins the title?  

230 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins the title?

Unless I have overlooked a post...I don't see were anyone has posted that Central will blow them out???

Me either. When I said "most of the predictions for a blowout have come from non Belfry folks" I meant that most of the people predicting a Belfry blowout of Central weren't even from Belfry. A lot of them are from teams Belfry has played this year.

I think this will be an outstanding game between to fine teams. I just think SOME on here (not you) are underestimating Central because they haven't "been there, done that, got the t-shirt".

I think that is true too. A lot of the people I've talked to this week are underestimating Central. Not just because they haven't won it all before, but because of their overall record or because they lost to Johnson Central, whom Belfry beat. I think if those people saw Central play against St X or Highlands, they would have a much different opinion about the game.

• Replies 322
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

LC did lose against X and Highlands. But they proved they belonged on the same field, giving Highlands all they wanted and staying close to X for a half. The final against X was 35-7, which is the same margin X defeated semi-finalist Meade last week 31-3. These Yellow Jackets are very physical. If you think they're going to roll over because they've never been hit as hard as the Belfry boys can hit, well...you're sadly mistaken. Belfry may win this, and they could win big if Central turns it over a few times, but it won't be because they're intimidated by Belfry's physicality.[/QUote]

You gotta love high school playoffs because we ain't voting for the champion. Friday they will tee it up and we will see if they are intimidated or not. If they aren't what a great story for them....if they are...then a few of us including me, get say I told you so.

And, does either really change our lives any?

I think its "funny" to say "they (LC) won't be intimidated" . I believe Belfry could be intimidated by LC's size. But you need to recognize LC "can" be intimidated...I saw them curl up into the fetal position at JC, plain and simple.

Unless I have overlooked a post...I don't see were anyone has posted that Central will blow them out??? I think this will be an outstanding game between to fine teams. I just think SOME on here (not you) are underestimating Central because they haven't "been there, done that, got the t-shirt".

Most people are skeptical of a newcomer vs. a traditional power. Nothing wrong with that...if the traditional powers didn't usually win those games, they wouldn't be considered traditional powers, right? Also, not having been there and done that can make a difference. Some teams don't always respond well when they get their first crack at glory...some do.

You gotta love high school playoffs because we ain't voting for the champion. Friday they will tee it up and we will see if they are intimidated or not. If they aren't what a great story for them....if they are...then a few of us including me, get say I told you so.

And, does either really change our lives any?

I think its "funny" to say "they (LC) won't be intimidated" . I believe Belfry could be intimidated by LC's size. But you need to recognize LC "can" be intimidated...I saw them curl up into the fetal position at JC, plain and simple.

I wasn't there...I'll take your word that they "curled up into the fetal position at JC." That's just not the same LC team I saw against Lou. St.X. Somebody mentioned this before, LC really did shut down X's rushing attack for the most part. Maybe X is overrated, I guess we'll find out all the answers this weekend. Good luck to both teams.

Belfry will win the line game. I think Belfry will prove to be much quicker.

I think that you are fooling yourself if you think that Belfry has supperior speed compared to central. They may own every other advantage, but definatley not speed.

Sheer numbers certainly suggests that more "Belfry faithful" and opposing fans who are loyal to Eastern Ky post here and are showing wall to wall support for the Pirates.....thus explaining to an extent why very few if any "Central will blow them out" posts.

And while I do agree that some here are underestimating Central and their accomplishments..... I believe SOME here underestimate Belfry and their abilities on the field. I don't know who'll win this game......but I'm sure it'll be a barn burner. I guess all the talkin' ends Friday.

I do not underestimate Belfry. They have been there, done that...so I think they do have the advantage in this game.

As wide 5wide posted "Most people are skeptical of a newcomer vs. a traditional power. Nothing wrong with that...if the traditional powers didn't usually win those games, they wouldn't be considered traditional powers, right? Also, not having been there and done that can make a difference. Some teams don't always respond well when they get their first crack at glory...some do." I must agree with this post.

I am just a sucker for a Cinderella Story!!

I do not underestimate Belfry. They have been there, done that...so I think they do have the advantage in this game.

As wide 5wide posted "Most people are skeptical of a newcomer vs. a traditional power. Nothing wrong with that...if the traditional powers didn't usually win those games, they wouldn't be considered traditional powers, right? Also, not having been there and done that can make a difference. Some teams don't always respond well when they get their first crack at glory...some do." I must agree with this post.

I am just a sucker for a Cinderella Story!!

Actually....in 2003 ...both teams (Belfry and E-town) probably tried on the glass slipper. Belfry had made 3 other appearances in the state finals (79,85,86)....not sure about E-town.....but Belfry had never been victorious until 2003.

It'll be slobber-knocker......one that probably won't be decided until mid 4th quarter.....either way.

I think that you are fooling yourself if you think that Belfry has supperior speed compared to central. They may own every other advantage, but definatley not speed.

Belfry does a quicker line than LC. I have seen them both.

I wasn't there...I'll take your word that they "curled up into the fetal position at JC." That's just not the same LC team I saw against Lou. St.X. Somebody mentioned this before, LC really did shut down X's rushing attack for the most part. Maybe X is overrated, I guess we'll find out all the answers this weekend. Good luck to both teams.

I wish I had seen the Central that you guys have. I am just being honest. It was one of the most disorganized, lackluster performances I have seen in a long time.

I realize its only one game. They obviously have the ability to play the game. They would not be in the championship otherwise. Obviously, the game I saw wasn't their best. I think many are impressed by their showing at Highlands and X, I am only saying there is some really bad football out there to compare as well. If you want to compare the good, compare the bad too.

This Belfry team hasn't shown a real weakness yet, Friday may be the day they do. Like I said, good thing we don't vote on this.

They will hit you I have no doubt about that, I have seen both teams on film, and if you look at my post I think this one will be a pretty decent game, but Belfry will outhit Central.

St X was not one of the games I seen, I know it was 14-7 at half, but at what point did the X-Men Runningback go down, I know they scored most of their second half points by air, I'm just curious on that?

No dog in this fight, but my 0.02 .....

I saw about half the St X games, and at least heard the others on air. Central was the most physical team X played all year, very hard hitting. They were stuffing Deuce on a regular basis until he got hurt. They just wore down at the end. Don't know a thing about Belfry though, and 14 - 0 is nothin to sneeze at. I'm pulling for Central, but good luck to both.