Belfry vs. Louisville Central 3A State Championship

iPapi

Who wins the title?  

230 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins the title?

I wish I had seen the Central that you guys have. I am just being honest. It was one of the most disorganized, lackluster performances I have seen in a long time.

I realize its only one game. They obviously have the ability to play the game. They would not be in the championship otherwise. Obviously, the game I saw wasn't their best. I think many are impressed by their showing at Highlands and X, I am only saying there is some really bad football out there to compare as well. If you want to compare the good, compare the bad too.

This Belfry team hasn't shown a real weakness yet, Friday may be the day they do. Like I said, good thing we don't vote on this.

And against Manual as well.

• Replies 322
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Central has been impressive against bigtime competition. No doubt about that.

On the other hand, a 2 TD win over Etown and the Johnson Central showing suggest they also have had some "off" nights.

I expect both teams to play well. Its going to be a truly great game.

The Yellowjackets can play! Difficult task to compete with the seasoned comp from Belfry. Could be a great match-up. I'm looking forward to seeing how the game plays out.

I hear Central has been practicing at X this week to get ready for the turf at Papa John's.

I do not underestimate Belfry. They have been there, done that...so I think they do have the advantage in this game.

As wide 5wide posted "Most people are skeptical of a newcomer vs. a traditional power. Nothing wrong with that...if the traditional powers didn't usually win those games, they wouldn't be considered traditional powers, right? Also, not having been there and done that can make a difference. Some teams don't always respond well when they get their first crack at glory...some do." I must agree with this post.

I am just a sucker for a Cinderella Story!!

We got shirts also, I got two of them haha.

YES I AM!!!!!!! :ylsuper::ylsuper:

Got to pull for the Yellow Jackets! 1st shot at a state title and they are from the Ville!

Come on people jump on the bandwagon with me!! :banana::banana:

I got on the bandwagon the second one of the members of Central's very, very, very, very good band came over and talked to us. He was very confident in his team and when he was telling us they were going to beat us, it was 13-0 in the 4th quarter, and I started to wonder if he was right and our well-oiled machine needed some retuning. It was not the case, turns out our machine just needed 3.5 quarters to warm up.

Let me say one thing, NO MORE COMPARISONS. I am not comparing anyone to anything. I will just say what I saw. I saw a huge athletic and fast quarterback who threw a rocket down the sideline that burned a HHS defender and it scared me. The ease that the two displayed in the smooth pitch and catch made me think we were going to be in for a long night. They also have this huge guy on their defense. He is the size of a mountain and stood up and shoved back every guy on our team and we got some big boys. I just really think that this team is peaking at the right time and Pirates don't count your chickens(or should I say treasures) before they are hatched. This will be a good game and Central will prove me right and come away with it. If they can establish the pass, it could be very bad for the Pirates.

GO CENTRAL-Make the Pirates walk the plank!

Seeing Belfry play twice and seeing Lou. Central play Johnson Central on film... BELFRY brings home their 3rd state championship!!

But in respect to LC having to ride 3+ hours on a scholol bus in the heat to play JC is not to imperative to the outcome of Friday's game. I saw Central practice at St. X the past 2 days and they will come to play. They were out there til after 6 pm today when the windchill had dipped way down. Central may be the most physical team we have played all year........ Their QB is a beast

But in respect to LC having to ride 3+ hours on a scholol bus in the heat to play JC is not to imperative to the outcome of Friday's game. I saw Central practice at St. X the past 2 days and they will come to play. They were out there til after 6 pm today when the windchill had dipped way down. Central may be the most physical team we have played all year........ Their QB is a beast

I agree, if he runs it or throws it, he's definitely a threat. It was amazing how he looked like a man among boys in the HHS/Central game. He is just a prototypical QB. If he can pass it like I think he can, it will be U-G-L-Y!!!!

HAHA man alive, what a difference a couple of championships make. Belfry goes from everyone's Cinderella story and heartfelt pick in 2003, to the whipping post and evil-doer of all Kentucky football. HAHA Maybe I can make one last ditch effort:

- Central has 3 or 4 division prospects, and have produced numerous D-1 prospects. Belfry has noone listed on any of the major recruiting sites and are a bunch of slow, hillbillies with one leg longer than the other form always standing on a hillside. :D

- Belfry uses a system that hasn't changed much in 25 years, their playcalling is primative, and they won't budge from their 5-2 defense regardless of how athletic the team is against them. :D

- Belfry's fans ahve to use airhorns and cowbells to generate noise because years of coal dust has left all of our lungs in horrible shape. :D

- There are more business in the Heyburn Building, than the entire Belfry community combined, excluding coal mines. :D

-Centrla gets to drive 7 minutes to the game, all of Belfry left immediately following Friday's game because it takes that long to reach Louisville, and on top of that, IT SNOWED TODAY! :D

- The BGP playoff preview said clearly that Central would knock off Belfry, my sources tell me out of respect to Watusi, the original draft ahd the score being 63-0 because if any team can play withing a TD of Highlands (moment of silence to honor the Almighty Birds), they can beat any team from the 606 area code by at least 50. :D

-Beating Johnson Central automatically decreases any team's credibility to all posters from area codes 502 and 859, compared to schools who don't even play them. :D

* Note: This is completely sarcastic, don't take this the wrong way. Just having a little fun.

Now to get back on topic:

A couple random thoughts on the game from my perspective:

- Johnson Central beat Lou. Central is Week 8, it is now Week 15.... alot changes in 7 weeks folks.

- Both teams look exceptional on paper in their Front 7, but if Belfry can break through the firsts even it could be very interesting. Central is extrememly small in the secondary, and needless to say you won't find many teams at the high school level with a backfield the size of Lee, May, and Dotson, especially a backfield as big as Belfry's who can actually scoot.

- Central's O-line outweighs Belfry D-line by about 50-100 pounds across the board. This tells me don't expect a standstill, either Belfry will dominate with their quickness, or Central will completely hold the Pirate's at bay (no punt intended).

- This game has probably 3A's BEST: DT's (Cobble and Hickman), LB's (May, Dotson, Patterson, and Wilson), Overall Player (May), and Dual Threat QB (Banks). Throw in the state's 2nd all-time winning coach (Haywood), Some of Central's track stars who may very well be the fastest players in the class, and this game proves to be electric.

I agree, if he runs it or throws it, he's definitely a threat. It was amazing how he looked like a man among boys in the HHS/Central game. He is just a prototypical QB. If he can pass it like I think he can, it will be U-G-L-Y!!!!

If his heart is as big as his body, he won't be stopped. Prototypical??? Come on....that is clearly a comment made out of passion.