Fear 'Les' 13th Region Boys Ratings 11-27 to 12-4

Les

Boys Top 5

1. Cumberland (1-0)

What’s the scoop: After seeing the Redskins dismantle Barbourville 67-52, while Corbin struggled with a two-overtime win on the road against Middlesboro, without the services of Josh Crawford, Cumberland has overtaken the top spot for now.

Surprise, surprise: I for one was not surprised to see transfer Garfield Wilson turn in a solid 25-point, 16-rebound effort during Tuesday’s win over Barbourville.

Matter of fact, I was the only one to rate the big guy in the top 10 of the best 13th Region players.

If he keeps producing like he did Tuesday, then he and teammate Desmond Johnson will be hard to stop.

With guards Brock Leisge and Zach Blanton out due to injuries, the Redskins will be even more dangerous once the duo returns.

What’s ahead: Cumberland will be tested this week with upcoming road games against Perry Central and 13th Region foe Middlesboro.

2. Corbin (1-0)

What’s the scoop: Even without Josh Crawford, Corbin managed to pull out a double overtime win against a much-improved Middlesboro squad.

You’ve got to give Tony Pietrowski’s squad credit after fighting back from a 14-point deficit in the second half, and an 11-point deficit with only five minutes remaining in regulation.

Surprise, surprise: With Crawford out, Madison Johnson has stepped things up offensively.

Corbin outscored the Yellow Jackets 17-6 during the game’s final five minutes, while Johnson scored eight points during the stretch.

“First off, you’ve got to take your hats off to Middlesboro. I don’t think we underestimated them by any means, but they’re very athletic and they’ve got a lot of pieces,” said Corbin coach Tony Pietrowski. “They’re going to be hard to handle come later in the season.”

What’s ahead: The Redhounds will be back in action at home Friday against 50th District foe Whitley County before traveling to play Cawood on Dec. 4.

3. Knox Central (0-0)

What’s the scoop: The Panthers have enough talent this season to contend for the region title, especially with Cody Miller returning.

Surprise, surprise: It won’t take long to see just how good Knox Central will be.

With a home date against Jackson County on Dec. 4, along with a Dec.11 road date with Clay County, Brandon Elam’s squad should be battle-tested.

What’s ahead: The Panthers will travel to play Rockcastle County Friday before hosting Jackson County, Dec. 4.

4. South Laurel (1-0)

What’s the scoop: The Cardinals ran their 13th Region win streak to 32 games with an impressive 81-49 win over Williamsburg Tuesday.

South Laurel head coach Steve Wright used a deep bench to wear down the visiting Yellow Jackets.

It was weird not seeing Ty Proffitt, Jordan Hammonds or Trey Smith not playing for the Cardinals, but I believe in the end, Billy Jones, Matt St. John and Matthew Gilbert will do fine.

Surprise, surprise: How about the play of sophomore Matt St. John.

He poured in a game-high 23 points, while grabbing a game-best 15 rebounds in the process.

The key to South Laurel’s season hinges on St. John not getting into foul trouble.

“I thought it was key for us to establish an inside game and we were able to do that with the way Matt played tonight,” Wright said. “I really thought right after we lost in the Sweet 16 that he has the ability to be a special player.

“He did a good job getting to the boards and really went up strong to the basket,” he added. “If we’re going to be successful, then we’re going to need him to continue doing that.”

What’s ahead: South Laurel will get a test at home against Garrard County Friday before traveling to play in the Doc Gray Classic against Harlan Saturday.

The game against the Green Dragons could be a trap-game, if the Cardinals don’t watch out.

5. Pineville (0-0)

What’s the scoop: The Mountain Lions will be a force in the 13th Region this season.

Surprise, surprise: Pineville coach J.D. Strange was in the stands Tuesday watching the South Laurel/Williamsburg game, and I’m sure he’s ready for his team to get started, especially with Daniel Day returning.

What’s ahead: Pineville will travel to play Williamsburg today, and then will begin a four-game home stretch that starts with a Dec.4 match-up against Evarts.

The Best of the Rest

No. 6 North Laurel (0-0)

What’s the scoop: The Jaguars don’t tip things off until Saturday, but coach Jim Conway likes what he has returning.

I talked to him Tuesday at the South Laurel/Williamsburg game and he feels confident that he has a team that will surprise.

No. 7 Clay County (0-0)

What’s the scoop: Things are quiet in Manchester, but don’t be surprised if Kevin Spurlock’s squad contends for the region title in the end. Justin Hobbs returns, and he’s one of the best shooters around.

No. 8 Jackson County (0-0)

What’s the scoop: I’m just not sold on Jackson County. I believe they underachieved a bit last season, so maybe they’ll prove me wrong this year.

No. 9 Middlesboro (0-1)

What’s the scoop: Middlesboro is another team you can’t overlook.

Nick Smith scored 29 points against Corbin, while Blaine Green added 16 in the loss. Both the Redhounds and the Yellow Jackets had five players apiece score in double figures.

“Overall effort, I thought was great. We’ve improved by leaps and bounds, but I don’t believe in moral victories,” said Middlesboro coach Bill Jones. “We fought them to two overtimes, but we lost. It goes on our record as a loss.”

No. 10 Red Bird (0-0)

What’s the scoop: Coach John D. Wilson’s Cardinals will overachieve again and could pick up 20 wins this season.

North just ahead of Clay and Jackson. It looks like a wild 49th District.

Is there a Les rule about one Cinderella team in the top 10? I'd bet a bag of popcorn that Bell, Cawood and Barbourville are better than Red Bird.

Hey, I need that story .... just kidding, anyway, I already owe you one bag of popcorn, and yes, there is always a Cinderella team in my region ratings ... where ole where is All Saints when I need'em.

And yes, I do agree with you.

It don't matter who is one or two now, just wait until mid to late Feb.
You are right, Cumberland and Corbin have both had key parts missing these first 2 weeks, but I believe Cumberland might be getting Brock Leisge back this week. It will be interesting to see when Josh Crawford will be ready to get back in action for Corbin.

I could end up being dead wrong on this, but from what I have seen (I may not have seen the teams at full strength this summer, and teams do improve) I believe both the Laurel Co. teams are overrated. I thought Cawood was pretty good when I saw them this summer and Middlesboro is probably better talent-wise than the 9th place team. Don't know if they will get it together or not.