Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Middle School Basketball

Featured Replies

  • Author

Just got back to the office and watched the Highlands 7th grade minus Dupont/Collinsworth eek out a victory 37-36 over the Brossart boys. They jumped out to a 29-11 lead at one point and let em back in it. Highlands jumped out ahead early by dominating the boards and making their shots. Transition offense was very good for Highlands led by Turner/Witte. Brossart struggled from the field in the 1st half and the Birds played good man-man defense.

 

Brossart went on a 14-2 run in the 3rd/4th period with a diamond press. They started to get hot from the 3pt line as well nailing probably 3 in a rown.

 

Donovan McCoy for Highlands had 14 points and several offensive rebounds. Bailey Witte had 8 points and hit a crucial free throw to put em up by 4 with 5 seconds left and make it a 2 possession game. The Birds played very well in the 1st half and not so good in the 2nd half. Got lazy, didnt make strong passes, turned it over too many times. But credit to the future Brossart boys for playing aggressively and nailing the 3pointers. Kids that played well for the Celtics were Norton (St. Cecilia) and Uebel (St. Marys). I think they led the Celtics in scoring, I may be wrong. Overall a great game to play over the break, very competetive for both teams.

  • Replies 1k
  • Views 133.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is not a St. Marys team, I believe the name of the team is the Celtics. They are primarily made up of St. Marys kids but this is a team selected for a boys planning on attending BBHS.

 

If the catholic schools don't recruit, then how is this team possible?

  • Author
If the catholic schools don't recruit, then how is this team possible?

 

I would say its a bunch of kids who know they are going there and formed a team.

Just got back to the office and watched the Highlands 7th grade minus Dupont/Collinsworth eek out a victory 37-36 over the Brossart boys. They jumped out to a 29-11 lead at one point and let em back in it. Highlands jumped out ahead early by dominating the boards and making their shots. Transition offense was very good for Highlands led by Turner/Witte. Brossart struggled from the field in the 1st half and the Birds played good man-man defense.

 

Brossart went on a 14-2 run in the 3rd/4th period with a diamond press. They started to get hot from the 3pt line as well nailing probably 3 in a rown.

 

Donovan McCoy for Highlands had 14 points and several offensive rebounds. Bailey Witte had 8 points and hit a crucial free throw to put em up by 4 with 5 seconds left and make it a 2 possession game. The Birds played very well in the 1st half and not so good in the 2nd half. Got lazy, didnt make strong passes, turned it over too many times. But credit to the future Brossart boys for playing aggressively and nailing the 3pointers. Kids that played well for the Celtics were Norton (St. Cecilia) and Uebel (St. Marys). I think they led the Celtics in scoring, I may be wrong. Overall a great game to play over the break, very competetive for both teams.

 

Nice write up on BMustangs.com webpage about the Highlands and Celtics game.:thumb:

  • Author

I am curious to know how the Highlans 8th grade team did against the Celtics 8th. I know the Tichenor 8th grade team is solid so if the Celtics handled them and the Birds took down the Celtics, they must have played well.

 

Overall, a great day of basketball out there and more schools should do this for fundraising. It can help programs immensley with fees for out of town tournaments, uniforms,etc.

Nice write up on BMustangs.com webpage about the Highlands and Celtics game.:thumb:

 

I am sure that the powers that be at the KHSAA would like to read about this. The Brossart website includes a write-up about a game involving kids that do not attend the school yet? Interesting to say the least. Just another example of why there are issues between the privates and the publics.

I am sure that the powers that be at the KHSAA would like to read about this. The Brossart website includes a write-up about a game involving kids that do not attend the school yet? Interesting to say the least. Just another example of why there are issues between the privates and the publics.

 

 

By the way, there has been a Lexington Catholic middle school basketball program for as long as I can remember. And, in case anybody is not aware, this is NOT a Lexington Catholic Middle School. So, my point is, I am not sure the KHSAA would necessarily care because something similar to there is going on at a lot of places. I do agree, though, with your comment about this being one of the reasons for the debate between private and public schools.

The sad part is the KHSAA would only tell you that they do not control middle school athletics. You could use that as a reason why they should, but they already have plenty of reasons and will not do anything about it.

The sad part is the KHSAA would only tell you that they do not control middle school athletics. You could use that as a reason why they should, but they already have plenty of reasons and will not do anything about it.

 

The better argument is for public high schools to step up and provide competition to the private schools. Public schools have the ability, if not more, to do alot of the same things that private schools do, except that choose to be complacent. Campbell County comes to mind as a complacent public school. Highlands is a prime example of a public shool that competes with private schools.

 

Qryche, you went to Bellevue and now your son will??? attend Highlands, I think. What's your take on the public/private debate? I say everyone quit whining and do something to make your public high school better or send your child to the private school of your choice. By the way, in case there is any question, I bleed purple!

  • Author

Dont want to threadjack but I dont really analyze the debate as much as others. When I was in school at small Bellevue we held our own vs. the Catholics. I know my Junior and Senior year we beat Brossart, my senior year we beat St. Henry and tied with them for Conference Champs and we beat NCC up on the hill in a Distric Final game my Senior year so it wasnt like they were dominating.

 

My son will attend Highlands yes and my move to Ft. Thomas was purely for educational purposes over 8 yrs ago before I even knew he liked hoops.

 

The Catholic schools that have middle schools can monitor the talent but schools like Brossart and NCC have to see whats going on in the Parochial leagues and get a feel for who is going where. How they do this, who knows? Get people involved in the program who can scout the kids and maybe find out through the grapevine I guess. I think if someone is deliberatley influencing parents to send their kids to a Catholic school because they may have a better chance of starting or playing, then it is entirely wrong.

 

But I am with you Boomer in the fact that the Public schools need to do something to make their programs just as good. Coaches at the Varsity level really need to make a valiant effort to develop the future players by getting involved and coming out to watch once in a while. I will leave it at that.

I agree, public schools need to step to the plate. Private's have a slight advantage but public schools that work hard are very competitive. Public schools just have to start developing their talent at a younger age.

Dont want to threadjack but I dont really analyze the debate as much as others. When I was in school at small Bellevue we held our own vs. the Catholics. I know my Junior and Senior year we beat Brossart, my senior year we beat St. Henry and tied with them for Conference Champs and we beat NCC up on the hill in a Distric Final game my Senior year so it wasnt like they were dominating.

 

My son will attend Highlands yes and my move to Ft. Thomas was purely for educational purposes over 8 yrs ago before I even knew he liked hoops.

 

The Catholic schools that have middle schools can monitor the talent but schools like Brossart and NCC have to see whats going on in the Parochial leagues and get a feel for who is going where. How they do this, who knows? Get people involved in the program who can scout the kids and maybe find out through the grapevine I guess. I think if someone is deliberatley influencing parents to send their kids to a Catholic school because they may have a better chance of starting or playing, then it is entirely wrong.

 

But I am with you Boomer in the fact that the Public schools need to do something to make their programs just as good. Coaches at the Varsity level really need to make a valiant effort to develop the future players by getting involved and coming out to watch once in a while. I will leave it at that.

 

I'm not looking to "threadjack" (nice), but I will say that public schools could have the advantage over private schools if they so desired. They have the facilities and funds that private schools typically don't have. What public schools don't have (usually) are the inspired! Coaches who are there to benefit the guys and girls they coach, not to pad their retirement. Fans and parents who want to see all children succeed, not just have their child get the spotlight. Those two things, along with passion, is what most private schools have that public schools lack.

Meece Middle School (Somerset) finished 3rd in Mercer County's tournament this weekend. They dropped a pre-tourney game to Lincoln County 61-59 in overtime, defeated Garrard County 75-36, lost in the Semi-Finals to undefeated Southern (Southwestern) 31-25 and defeated Mercer County in the 3rd place game 50-36. Meece Middle is now 10-5 on the season.

I agree, public schools need to step to the plate. Private's have a slight advantage but public schools that work hard are very competitive. Public schools just have to start developing their talent at a younger age.

 

First, sorry to chime in on this, but IMO what I've seen of the public schools they are a lot of coaches in the high school level that don't take the time to even take a look at the younger kids. For example, my son has had more looks and compliments from out side interest of other schools than his own and I'm referring to both public and private schools. Maybe this is just at his school district I see this and hopefully not at others.

 

Basically, if the higher up coaches are not looking at these kids and showing interest in them -- then it's no wonder these kids want to go someplace else.

  • Author
First, sorry to chime in on this, but IMO what I've seen of the public schools they are a lot of coaches in the high school level that don't take the time to even take a look at the younger kids. For example, my son has had more looks and compliments from out side interest of other schools than his own and I'm referring to both public and private schools. Maybe this is just at his school district I see this and hopefully not at others.

 

Basically, if the higher up coaches are not looking at these kids and showing interest in them -- then it's no wonder these kids want to go someplace else.

 

Yep, its not that difficult to spend an hour once a week at a middle school game to see what you have coming up in the system. IMO I think if the kids knew the Varsity/JV coaches were there to watch them they might play with more intensity but thats just me.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.