Mercer Co 3 Danville 2

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The slight favorite goes down.

Yeah, I honestly thought it was a tough call to make Mercer, Somerset, or Danville the favorite in this tournament. A lot had to do with the draw on who was in better shape.

Mercer, Somerset, and Danville all having to play each other prior to the finals is a tough road for any of the three.

One of the questions I have is that I don't exactly know what would cause an umpire to decide that it was up to him to try to discipline a player after the play such as telling him to pick up his helmet. It wasn't thrown out onto the playing field, and was in disgust over making on out in the last at bat of his career. It was obviously nearing the end of the game and we all know how emotions can get the best of players in their "final hour" so to speak, as their career comes to an end.

Nonetheless the player was asked to pick up his helmet and should have done so. And the umpire should have in no way be subject to what followed afterwards.

When I umpire, if a kid throws a helmet or bat and the coach doesn't address it I will. I will usually warn them. I will say that in 90% of the cases the coach takes charge and takes care of it before I have to.

When I umpire, if a kid throws a helmet or bat and the coach doesn't address it I will. I will usually warn them. I will say that in 90% of the cases the coach takes charge and takes care of it before I have to.

He takes charge because you bad to the bone. :D

Key word is worn them.

Sorry, I don't think there is any excuse for what this kid did (and definitely not for what happened afterwards with the adults). I heard similar reports last year after the semi-state as well.

My son threw his helmet in his 2nd JV game after striking out...his coach reamed him out and then I did when he got in the car on the way home. He apologized to the whole coaching staff at the next practice. No helmet throwing after any at bat after that.

Fast forward 3 years, he is at bat for what he has a good idea is going to be the last time in HS. He struck out, in a 1-0 game. His reaction? He walked back to the dugout, put his helmet up and his bat in the rack and put on his equipment to go play the field. To be fair, most kids that I have seen play would do the same thing.

Anyone who doesn't think that college coaches watch for that kind of stuff is kidding themselves. They want kids who play hard and are intense but know how to represent a school.

Sorry, I don't think there is any excuse for what this kid did (and definitely not for what happened afterwards with the adults). I heard similar reports last year after the semi-state as well.

My son threw his helmet in his 2nd JV game after striking out...his coach reamed him out and then I did when he got in the car on the way home. He apologized to the whole coaching staff at the next practice. No helmet throwing after any at bat after that.

Fast forward 3 years, he is at bat for what he has a good idea is going to be the last time in HS. He struck out, in a 1-0 game. His reaction? He walked back to the dugout, put his helmet up and his bat in the rack and put on his equipment to go play the field. To be fair, most kids that I have seen play would do the same thing.

Anyone who doesn't think that college coaches watch for that kind of stuff is kidding themselves. They want kids who play hard and are intense but know how to represent a school.

Good Point JL7. :thumb:

I didn't see the instance, which is being discussed for the record. With that said, at NO time does a helmet, bat, or glove need to be tossed/thrown, by a Player or Coach. This is unsportsmanlike and no warning must be issued, the judgment of the Umpire ensues.

The Umpire is in control, until leaving the playing field, even after the game has concluded, so yes, they have the authority to act within the field confines.

With all that said....This was a 3-2 game and most of the discussion, is about that incident. Let's move on and discuss the game, as that incident is over. Both teams are very good and each deserve, the positive accolades be discussed....:thumb:

It was a very good game. Witten made two nice plays on attempted squeezes, one a safety and the other a suicide. The play on the attempted suicide was an off-balance, bare-handed flip to the catcher to nail the man at home. Very nice play.

It was a very good game. Witten made two nice plays on attempted squeezes, one a safety and the other a suicide. The play on the attempted suicide was an off-balance, bare-handed flip to the catcher to nail the man at home. Very nice play.

You are exactly right. Those were amazing plays; if he doesn't make those plays, Mercer wins handily. I'm not sure any other pitcher for Danville (or many teams in the 12th Region) makes those plays.

Mercer was down 2-1 and scored two runs late in the game to take the lead. One of the key stats of the game for Danville was 12 runners left on base.

They just never seemed to get any timely hits. Much of the credit goes to Mercer, but Danville really seemed out of sync yesterday at the plate.

They just never seemed to get any timely hits. Much of the credit goes to Mercer, but Danville really seemed out of sync yesterday at the plate.

IMO, the Danville players have a tendency to look at a lot of pitches. Some people have that philosophy and that's fine, different approaches by different people.

I didn't see the instance, which is being discussed for the record. With that said, at NO time does a helmet, bat, or glove need to be tossed/thrown, by a Player or Coach. This is unsportsmanlike and no warning must be issued, the judgment of the Umpire ensues.

The Umpire is in control, until leaving the playing field, even after the game has concluded, so yes, they have the authority to act within the field confines.

With all that said....This was a 3-2 game and most of the discussion, is about that incident. Let's move on and discuss the game, as that incident is over. Both teams are very good and each deserve, the positive accolades be discussed....:thumb:

THANK YOU!!!