Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Gillispie to run Louisville out of the state?

Featured Replies

The fact that several people think UK is the better football program makes me realize there are more homers on this site than I thought...:eek:

  • Replies 182
  • Views 17.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The fact that several people think UK is the better football program makes me realize there are more homers on this site than I thought...:eek:

I think the argument is more that UK has more state support, not that it is currently a better program.

The fact that several people think UK is the better football program makes me realize there are more homers on this site than I thought...:eek:
I think there are two conversations going on.

 

Most of these posts seem to be saying that UK has more fans. Well, yes. I only see one poster that's saying things like UK outshining U of L.

I think there are two conversations going on.

 

Most of these posts seem to be saying that UK has more fans. Well, yes. I only see one poster that's saying things like UK outshining U of L.

No everyone on here is a big homer Deuce.:thumb:

No everyone on here is a big homer Deuce.:thumb:

 

If the conversation is that UK has more state support then my bad, of course that is the case...By a few posts I read I took the convo to mean UK's program was better than UofL's, which prompted my post...

To say that Kentucky is going to run Louisville out of State, that just isn't going to happen period. This Doyel fellow needs to get a life.:rolleyes:

That's false.

 

The majority of football fans in the state of Kentucky support another program before they support UK.

I think you are wrong on this one. UK has a tremendous following and they show up in large numbers. Nashville was a sea of blue and The Music City Bowl took UK over some other schools because of the fact that UK fans follow in mass.

I think you are wrong on this one. UK has a tremendous following and they show up in large numbers. Nashville was a sea of blue and The Music City Bowl took UK over some other schools because of the fact that UK fans follow in mass.
Per the infamous "18 Percent" article:

 

The survey of 1,281 adults in Kentucky, conducted Feb. 16-28, confirmed UK's overwhelming support among people who said they were very interested or somewhat interested in college basketball and football. The margin of error for the poll is plus or minus 2.7 percentage points.

 

Kentucky is a blue state. The Wildcats were the favorite basketball team of 67 percent of those fans, with 17 percent rooting for UofL. Subtracting the Jefferson County numbers, UK's edge swells to 75 to 8.

 

Jefferson County, however, is resoundingly red. The Cardinals hold a solid majority, with 57 percent choosing UofL as their favorite team to 33 percent for UK. It's a margin that was larger than even some at UofL expected.

 

"When I came here, I was told that the fan bases in Louisville were pretty similar," UofL athletic director Tom Jurich said. "I take the results in Jefferson County as a sign of progress for us, and we're really happy with the numbers from out in the state."

 

Said Johnny Wayne Cox, a UofL fan from Jeffersontown: "A lot of people are jumping on UofL football in the city, and (coach) Rick Pitino has the basketball going. I think there's a lot more UofL fans in the city right now."

Cox and Franklin were among the poll respondents who agreed to follow-up interviews.

 

UK holds a similar but less substantial edge in football statewide, 41-20, while UofL football was the favorite of 61 percent of respondents in Jefferson County, compared with 21 percent for UK.

 

UK athletic director Mitch Barnhart said that overall, "Those numbers are consistent with what you see as you travel throughout the Commonwealth. So there's nothing surprising about them. UK has the best fan base in the nation, not just in numbers but also in terms of passion. ...Keeping up with UK sports is a part of Kentucky's culture."

And because it can't be posted enough... wink.gif

 

For the most part, fans of both UK and UofL see the other as their team's biggest basketball rival, with 66 percent of UofL fans picking the Wildcats and 49 percent of UK fans picking the Cardinals.

 

But 18 percent of UK fans picked Duke as the Wildcats' biggest rival, followed by Tennessee with 6 percent and Indiana and North Carolina at 4 percent each.

 

"That, to me is the most surprising number," said Pitino, who coached at UK for eight years. "When I was coach at UK, it was beat UofL, and then beat Indiana. So that's a change."

 

Behind UK, 16 percent of UofL basketball fans picked Cincinnati as the school's biggest rival, while seven percent chose Memphis.

UK-First football fans are a minority. The largest minority, but a minority.

 

And like I said, that was before Louisville won a BCS bowl and returned an All-American QB.

Per the infamous "18 Percent" article:

 

And because it can't be posted enough... wink.gif

 

UK-First football fans are a minority. The largest minority, but a minority.

 

And like I said, that was before Louisville won a BCS bowl and returned an All-American QB.[/QUOTE]

 

Gotta start somewhere....

The fact that this thread has reached 3 pages is absolutely hilarious. Is this really a debate?

I think the argument is more that UK has more state support, not that it is currently a better program.

:thumb: That was my point. U.L. has the better football program right now. No way do they have a better basketball program even with the down couple of years lately. U.K.'s "down years" are still pretty good to anyone else ;) .

 

And like I said, that was before Louisville won a BCS bowl and returned an All-American QB.[/QUOTE]

 

 

Imo Louisville winning a BCS bowl does not sway the majority of the fans in this state one bit. A true fan does not "bandwagon" to another team just bc they won a BCS bowl game or bc of who they are returning. Heck, U.L. could won a national title in football (which is not going to happen) and they would still be the "lil brother" inside the state. JMO and that is all I was saying in my previous post.

The fact that this thread has reached 3 pages is absolutely hilarious. Is this really a debate?

:thumb: You are correct, it started out as a comment/article on basketball by a well known writer that loves to "stir the pot". The thread then went to football bc that is the only place that U.L. holds an advantage. An article on U.K./U.L will certainly do that and I am as guilty as anyone of keeping it going.

I think you are wrong on this one. UK has a tremendous following and they show up in large numbers. Nashville was a sea of blue and The Music City Bowl took UK over some other schools because of the fact that UK fans follow in mass.

:thumb: I have made no secret on bgp that I am an Ohio State football fan. That does not mean that I do not support U.K. . I also like other teams as well (imo it is called being a fan of college football). Ohio State, U.K., Bama and Georgia (in that order) are my college football favorites along with whoever may be playing U.L. or Tenn. and LSU each week :D .

 

Like I stated in my previous post, I am as guilty as anyone of keeping this thread and debate going (and that is excatly what Doyel wants to do with his writings). I will exit this one now.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.