April 29, 200719 yr How does a thread about UK basketball get turned into a UofL/UK football debate? (A pointless one at that)
April 29, 200719 yr Distance from Lexington to Nashville? About 210 miles. Only 45 miles from Nashville to the Kentucky border. Distance from Louisville to Miami? 1083 miles. Doesn't it seem a little silly to compare? But if compare we must, a few facts. Louisville fans were certainly the majority of the crowd down in Miami, I can tell you that. That crowd was 10,000 larger than the one in Nashville, too. Jody Demling (no Cardinal fan, in my estimation) guessed there to be about 40,000 Louisville fans in attendance. Clemson sold out their allotment of 11,500 tickets to the Music City Bowl. Let's be a little conservative and guess that only another 2,500 were smart enough to pick then up on stubhub or ebay. Let's also guess that there were at LEAST 5,000 locals from outside the fanbases at the game. That's 19,000 non-UK fans. At a game with an anounced attendance of 68,024. 50,000 is the absolute limit of UK fans that could have had seats in Nashville. And I personally doubt it was that much, as I pointed out I was pretty conservative in my estimation. Lets also not forget that the Orange Bowl is a BCS Bowl that in itself is going to bring alot of neutral fans to the game, not to mention alot more media, not to mention it being alot better weather in Florida than Nashville in January. Don't kid yourself into thinking UL had 40k fans at that game, please.
April 29, 200719 yr Lets also not forget that the Orange Bowl is a BCS Bowl that in itself is going to bring alot of neutral fans to the game, not to mention alot more media, not to mention it being alot better weather in Florida than Nashville in January. Don't kid yourself into thinking UL had 40k fans at that game, please.You're right, Jody is such a Louisville homer...:lol: Media don't count towards the gate. For the record. Also, the Orange Bowl was one of the worst attended locally in years. There was a story in the paper down in Miami about it the next day, basically chiding locals for not caring and that they'd made a mistake to miss a good game. I sat in seats that are reserved for Miami Dolphins season ticket holders, got em on stubhub (3rd row, lower level.) Trust me, locals didn't come. It was Louisville fans that made up for it.
April 29, 200719 yr You're right, Jody is such a Louisville homer...:lol: Where did I say that? Point is, UK has a bigger fan base, without question in basketball and even in football, but, not by as big a margin...That;s not being critical to UL, it's just fact...
April 29, 200719 yr Where did I say that? Point is, UK has a bigger fan base, without question in basketball and even in football, but, not by as big a margin...That;s not being critical to UL, it's just fact...UK has a much larger casual fan base in football, I'd say that hardcore interest is equal. Louisville is much more a football-interested area than Kentucky in general. My point about Jody was that he was the one making the estimation of about 40,000 Louisville fans. I have no reason to believe he'd overestimate that for any reason.
April 29, 200719 yr Distance from Lexington to Nashville? About 210 miles. Only 45 miles from Nashville to the Kentucky border. Distance from Louisville to Miami? 1083 miles. Trust me, I know, I drove all of it (ram2003 is so, so, so lazy.) Doesn't it seem a little silly to compare? But if compare we must, a few facts. Louisville fans were certainly the majority of the crowd down in Miami, I can tell you that. That crowd was 10,000 larger than the one in Nashville, too. Jody Demling (no Cardinal fan, in my estimation) guessed there to be about 40,000 Louisville fans in attendance. Clemson sold out their allotment of 11,500 tickets to the Music City Bowl. Let's be a little conservative and guess that only another 2,500 were smart enough to pick then up on stubhub or ebay. Let's also guess that there were at LEAST 5,000 locals from outside the fanbases at the game. That's 19,000 non-UK fans. At a game with an anounced attendance of 68,024. 50,000 is the absolute limit of UK fans that could have had seats in Nashville. And I personally doubt it was that much, as I pointed out I was pretty conservative in my estimation. The UK fan blog on the CJ (which as you might imagine is pretty pro-UK) guessed the crowd was 70-30 Kentucky, which would also put UK's attendance at less than 50,000. Lets assume that 70-30 was correct. That is 47,617 fans for UK. Now thats not that far off of 50,000 is it? I was there and I think it was more like 80-20.(54,419) As I noted earlier I understand the difference in travel. But for such a great program, in a BCS Bowl, with a Heisman candidate QB, you would think Louisville would have taken a large crowd to Miami. I am certain that under those conditions that UK fans would have packed the place. Bottom line is UK has more fans than Louisville. I don't think its even debatable
April 29, 200719 yr Lets assume that 70-30 was correct. That is 47,617 fans for UK. Now thats not that far off of 50,000 is it? I was there and I think it was more like 80-20.(54,419) As I noted earlier I understand the difference in travel. But for such a great program, in a BCS Bowl, with a Heisman candidate QB, you would think Louisville would have taken a large crowd to Miami. I am certain that under those conditions that UK fans would have packed the place. Bottom line is UK has more fans than Louisville. I don't think its even debatable It's not debatable. UK has more casual fans of the game of football than Louisville does. But as far as people that actually care, Louisville has at least as many fans as UK does. There's no doubt that the spring game attendance speaks to that. Your 80-20 number that puts you past 50,000 also assumes that there were no locals at the game. Do you really think that was the case? Zero locals? It also flies in the face of the facts- Clemson sold 11,500 tickets thru their ticket office, and I doubt that the ONLY tickets Clemson fans could get their hands on were from the ticket office. I just don't think it's realistic to think that UK had 50,000 fans there.
April 29, 200719 yr What does any of that have to do with UK having more fans in the state of Kentucky than UofL? It really is a simple concept. UK has more fans in the state than Louisville. Evidently that great metropolitan hub of Louisville has gone to your head. Geez. :thumb: :thumb: :lol: :lol: :lol:
April 29, 200719 yr It really is a simple concept. UK has more fans in the state than Louisville. Evidently that great metropolitan hub of Louisville has gone to your head. I don't care about just in KY...but across the nation I bet there are more people fond of Louisville football instead of the latter.
April 29, 200719 yr I don't care about just in KY...but across the nation I bet there are more people fond of Louisville football instead of the latter. And I don't care about the rest of the nation.
April 29, 200719 yr But for such a great program, in a BCS Bowl, with a Heisman candidate QB, you would think Louisville would have taken a large crowd to Miami. I am certain that under those conditions that UK fans would have packed the place. Louisville took one of the largest single school crowds to the Orange Bowl ever. Remember Wake Forest didn't didn't have as many to bring as most programs and Louisville made up for most of that space. Also Miami is much harder on the pocketbook than Nashville. The average fan probably spent about 3,000 for the trip all together. That eliminates a large percentage of the fan base from going.
April 30, 200719 yr The only way this will hurt Pitino is that the factor that Louisville won't be the best team in its own state but then again this doesn't hurt North Carolina or Duke so the only thing that Pitino has to worry about is getting beat every year by Coach G. Not too many NBA prospects come out of KY every year so instate recruiting shouldn't be an issue even though a team changing player like Lofton pops up every now and again. I will be in Louisville for 6 weeks this summer and I will be wearing my blue and white proudly, even on the campus of UofL.
April 30, 200719 yr It's not debatable. UK has more casual fans of the game of football than Louisville does. But as far as people that actually care, Louisville has at least as many fans as UK does. There's no doubt that the spring game attendance speaks to that. Your 80-20 number that puts you past 50,000 also assumes that there were no locals at the game. Do you really think that was the case? Zero locals? It also flies in the face of the facts- Clemson sold 11,500 tickets thru their ticket office, and I doubt that the ONLY tickets Clemson fans could get their hands on were from the ticket office. I just don't think it's realistic to think that UK had 50,000 fans there. I agree with you, but, at the same time, do you honestly not think that there were some local people at the Orange Bowl, too, not to mention many more media...And using your own figures detailing the cost of the trip, miles difference, etc, do you thinks its realistic to think 40,000 UL fans made that trip to Miami? I would think it would be more realistic to think 50,000 UK fans made the short drive to Nashville vs 40,000 to Miami.
April 30, 200719 yr I agree with you, but, at the same time, do you honestly not think that there were some local people at the Orange Bowl, too, not to mention many more media...And using your own figures detailing the cost of the trip, miles difference, etc, do you thinks its realistic to think 40,000 UL fans made that trip to Miami? I would think it would be more realistic to think 50,000 UK fans made the short drive to Nashville vs 40,000 to Miami.I took locals into my accout. And I've mentioned previously that media don't make it into the count for the gate. The Orange Bowl was attended by roughly 75,000 people. I would put the highest local attendance at 40,000 Cards fans, 27,000 WF Fans and 8,000 locals. Like I said, not that many locals showed up, it was a point made in the papers... and yet it was still only 2,000 fewer people than the most highly attended Orange Bowl in history (Oklahoma vs USC in 2005) because of the enthusiastic support of Louisville fans, and WF fans should also be commended. I would add that U of L has an alumni presence in Florida, they trail only Indiana, Ohio and Illinois in out-of-state students at U of L. And there were 21 Florida players on Louisville's roster last season.
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.