Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Gillispie to run Louisville out of the state?

Featured Replies

I will concede that by definition your right, but I can’t help but looking at it as if you put UK up against any of the other teams heads up that UK would have the majority…

Is this example wrong as well?

UK plays UL on a neutral field and every fan of those two schools have tickets and attend the game which team has the majority of fans at the game? Would it not be UK? Could I not substitute UL with any team in this scenario and have the same results? I understand that when you throw all the teams together UK would not be the majority, but head to head would it not be different?

  • Replies 182
  • Views 17.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: Then there are few on here that should be the happiest people on earth ;):D

 

You've always seemed like a happy person to me...:thumb:

Maybe it's already been posted, but I didn't bother to read this entire thread. By your definition 02, does that mean that whites are minorities?

I will concede that by definition your right, but I can’t help but looking at it as if you put UK up against any of the other teams heads up that UK would have the majority…

Is this example wrong as well?

UK plays UL on a neutral field and every fan of those two schools have tickets and attend the game which team has the majority of fans at the game? Would it not be UK? Could I not substitute UL with any team in this scenario and have the same results? I understand that when you throw all the teams together UK would not be the majority, but head to head would it not be different?

That example is not wrong, but it's a different question.

 

If it were 'Considering only the two largest fanbases in Kentucky, which has a majority,' the answer is UK over UL. But the question is 'Considering all fanbases in Kentucky, which has a majority,' in football the answer is none- UK has a plurality of 40%, followed by U of L.

Maybe it is a different question but the whole time I have looked at it as if it was

UK vs. UL majority UK

UK vs. UC majority UK

UK vs. OSU majority UK

UK vs. IU majority UK

Thus making UK the majority in the state of KY

 

I guess I should have been looking at it like

UK vs. UL, UC, OSU and IU even though that doesn’t seem right when comparing fan bases…

 

Thanks for the insightful discussion…:D :thumb:

Maybe it's already been posted, but I didn't bother to read this entire thread. By your definition 02, does that mean that whites are minorities?
It depends on what the population numbers are in. In Kentucky, whites make up 90% of the population. They're a majority.

 

But if there were:

 

40% Whites

20% African Americans

10% 'Latinos' (pretty sure this isn't strictly considered a racial carergory by US census)

10% Asian

 

Then, we still run into problems. Numerically, yes, whites would be a minority, but the way you use minority is not the numerical definition. You are using it in a sociological context, where the definition changes from a defined subgroup being less than 50% of the whole to a sociological group that does not hold a political plurality. In that definition, whites are NOT a minority group, even if they are a numerical minority.

Then, we still run into problems. Numerically, yes, whites would be a minority, but the way you use minority is not the numerical definition. You are using it in a sociological context, where the definition changes from a defined subgroup being less than 50% of the whole to a sociological group that does not hold a political plurality. In that definition, whites are NOT a minority group, even if they are a numerical minority.

 

 

Gotcha....Why can't the English language be easy and use the same definitions regardless of context....:lol:

I think you are wrong on this one. UK has a tremendous following and they show up in large numbers. Nashville was a sea of blue and The Music City Bowl took UK over some other schools because of the fact that UK fans follow in mass.

5,000 on a beautiful Saturday afternoon for the Spring Game...they may "like" football...but it is not a priority, rather an option...things are different 60 miles west,

UK football has by far more fans than any other team in the state. As for UofL winning over Wake in the Orange bowl swaying fans. I don't think that is the case. UK's win over Clemson was more of a eye catcher to alot of people. I would say both programs picked up some band wagon fans this past season but UK has always had a much larger fan base. Its just a fact. Last seasons success from both programs really doesn't change that.

Geez....a BCS win...an All-American...a Heisman Trophy candidate...the state's most powerful offense (Top 3 or 4 in AMERICA).....believe me Louisville has attention from all over the US....not just a bunch of folks in smaller areas of KY.

You've always seemed like a happy person to me...:thumb:

Yep! But the difference is that I will admit it whenm I am in the wrong. I am not close to as happy as "some" others in the Big City of L-Ville. ;) They are down right slap happy and rolling in it. :lol: :thumb:

Geez....a BCS win...an All-American...a Heisman Trophy candidate...the state's most powerful offense (Top 3 or 4 in AMERICA).....believe me Louisville has attention from all over the US....not just a bunch of folks in smaller areas of KY.

So does Rosie O'Donnell...!!!:D

UL had a great team this past year and have had some very good teams for the 3 to 4 years prior to that, but, I'd still say there are more UK football fans across the state, than UL, although, the gap has probably narrowed some...On the other hand, UL most likely has more nationwide fanbase because of there recent success and outside of this area, UK football doesn't have alot of support...

Geez....a BCS win...an All-American...a Heisman Trophy candidate...the state's most powerful offense (Top 3 or 4 in AMERICA).....believe me Louisville has attention from all over the US....not just a bunch of folks in smaller areas of KY.

What does any of that have to do with UK having more fans in the state of Kentucky than UofL?

 

It really is a simple concept. UK has more fans in the state than Louisville.

 

Evidently that great metropolitan hub of Louisville has gone to your head.

 

 

Geez.

5,000 on a beautiful Saturday afternoon for the Spring Game...they may "like" football...but it is not a priority, rather an option...things are different 60 miles west,

OK..... UK had at least 50,000 at the Music City Bowl. How many did UofL have at the Orange Bowl?

 

Now I understand the difference in travel but even somebody who hates UK such as yourself cannot deny that they have a very large fan base that travels very well.

OK..... UK had at least 50,000 at the Music City Bowl. How many did UofL have at the Orange Bowl?

 

Now I understand the difference in travel but even somebody who hates UK such as yourself cannot deny that they have a very large fan base that travels very well.

Distance from Lexington to Nashville? About 210 miles. Only 45 miles from Nashville to the Kentucky border.

 

Distance from Louisville to Miami? 1083 miles. Trust me, I know, I drove all of it (ram2003 is so, so, so lazy.)

 

Doesn't it seem a little silly to compare? But if compare we must, a few facts. Louisville fans were certainly the majority of the crowd down in Miami, I can tell you that. That crowd was 10,000 larger than the one in Nashville, too. Jody Demling (no Cardinal fan, in my estimation) guessed there to be about 40,000 Louisville fans in attendance.

 

Clemson sold out their allotment of 11,500 tickets to the Music City Bowl. Let's be a little conservative and guess that only another 2,500 were smart enough to pick then up on stubhub or ebay. Let's also guess that there were at LEAST 5,000 locals from outside the fanbases at the game.

 

That's 19,000 non-UK fans. At a game with an anounced attendance of 68,024. 50,000 is the absolute limit of UK fans that could have had seats in Nashville. And I personally doubt it was that much, as I pointed out I was pretty conservative in my estimation. The UK fan blog on the CJ (which as you might imagine is pretty pro-UK) guessed the crowd was 70-30 Kentucky, which would also put UK's attendance at less than 50,000.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.