Kidwell named COY in the 16th Region

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, without being purely scientific, I thought that Bradley did more with less. And I thought Euton went farther with less. I mean a 7th grader started for crying out loud. But Merle had the best record and team IMO throughout the year. To not take into account postseason though is foolish, IMO. I doubt Mrs. Euton is upset at not getting the award. And I'd guess Merle would trade it for a trip to Diddle. So FWIW, I'd have voted for Pam Euton with Merle, Trimble, and Bradley close behind. But my glasses have a tint of Royal Blue in them and for that I won't apologize, only acknowledge! With that said, I congratulate Merle on the award!

Well, without being purely scientific, I thought that Bradley did more with less. And I thought Euton went farther with less. I mean a 7th grader started for crying out loud. But Merle had the best record and team IMO throughout the year. To not take into account postseason though is foolish, IMO. I doubt Mrs. Euton is upset at not getting the award. And I'd guess Merle would trade it for a trip to Diddle. So FWIW, I'd have voted for Pam Euton with Merle, Trimble, and Bradley close behind. But my glasses have a tint of Royal Blue in them and for that I won't apologize, only acknowledge! With that said, I congratulate Merle on the award!

Spoken like a true peacemaker. Are you preparing to run for office?;)

Spoken like a true peacemaker. Are you preparing to run for office?;)

Nope, I figured you outlined my argument better than I could recount it, so I'm of the same opinion you are. And it's been my experience that when you have an opportunity to allow someone with more direct knowledge to give the opinion, then why try to add? Therefore, I'll defer to the wiser counsel and simply say maybe when Pam has a team without any that are old enough to drive, she'll get some credit,,,,,but I doubt it.

I'm absolutely amazed at how in depth this thread is with various posts. Are people that tore up about Merle Kidwell winning the Coach of the Year?

1) He won the award and congratulated. Of the times I saw his teams play, they are athletic, fundamental, and disciplined. They run some great quick hitting offensive plays. Their size helped them defeat many teams this season. And any coach that has a clue will tell you that talent and athletes makes coaches of the year. I doubt Coach Kidwell will disagree.

2) The game of basketball is actually quite simple. No need for huge words or hidden meanings. Teams can be perfect all year, zero problems, play to potential and then one night lose to a team they should drill. It's sports. The basketball gets deflected, rolls around a rim, etc...multiple things occur that lead to a end result.

3) Sometimes coaches can simply stand around during timeout, cross legs on the bench, or basically say absolutely nothing...and all the while one of their players shakes free, shoots a leaner off one leg or yanks one from about 25 feet and hits nothing but the bottom of the net...you get the idea....

Basically, high school basketball has many, many variables to it. Coaching is important...sometimes it's even over-rated, sometimes credit is not given to the coach who makes their "programs" better....a good coach builds and sustains a good program over the course of time and does so the right way in all facets of the sport.

Give credit to the deserving person in this case.

If not, then spill out X and O, motivation, player development, practice structure and fundamental coaching points and then evaluate who does what....that is if we have all been to the practices of all of these coaches and know the inner-workings of how they approach the game, teach the game, and motivate the game....

If they are giving the waward for building a program and sustaining it then it surely should have gone to Bradley. I think Kidwell and Euton both have not coached here very long. If talent and athletes make COY then why in the world did the coach of the runner up state team not get it last year. It seems to me that they keep changing the reasons the award is given out.

If they are giving the waward for building a program and sustaining it then it surely should have gone to Bradley. I think Kidwell and Euton both have not coached here very long. If talent and athletes make COY then why in the world did the coach of the runner up state team not get it last year. It seems to me that they keep changing the reasons the award is given out.

And thus the problem...without any definite guidelines there will always be controversy. But if everyone agreed there would be no reason to have BGP - and what would be the fun of that? :D

I find the tone of this thread very surprising. I would think Rose Hill would buy Kidwell two championship rings for having discipline and integrity in his program which got them two prized transfers and thus two region titles.

The Daily Independent published the All-Area Team as voted by the coaches. The area includes Lawrence County and Johnson County from the 15th Region as well as the entire 16th Region. Laura Terry of Rose Hill was the choice of the coaches as player of the year. Pam Euton of Rose Hill and Troy Thomas of Rowan County shared the coach of the year honor.

The team consists of Terry, K. Faulkner, and Queen of Rose Hill; Okora, Fortman, and Daniels of Russell; Perry and Rayburn of West Carter; Baldwin and Tackett of East Carter; Brown and Badgett of Boyd County; Hughes of Rowan County; Sexton of Greenup County; Hughes of Lewis County; Jarrell of Paintsville; and Seals of Raceland. Seventeen seems to be a little too many but there may have been some ties in voting in the final few choices. Nevertheless, it is a good representation of the talent in the area.

Twenty-two girls were named honorable mention which, I guess, indicates that each got at least one vote. Coaches could not vote for their own players which adds legitimacy to the choices. Rose Hill was the only school with four on the total list of thirty-nine with Britt Faulkner being a most deserving choice as honorable mention. Britt's contributions sometimes did not stand out in the scorebook but it was clear to anyone who followed the Lady Royals that, without Britt, the school would not have its state runner-up trophy.

The list indicates that there is a lot of good talent returning next year in this area as nine of the seventeen all-area picks are juniors.

Congratulations to all who were honored.

Just for swimfan, I dug this up from the end of last season. Looks like Coach Euton was named COY last year along with Troy Lee at Rowan. How quickly they forget...

I find the tone of this thread very surprising. I would think Rose Hill would buy Kidwell two championship rings for having discipline and integrity in his program which got them two prized transfers and thus two region titles.
Would you care to elaborate, I think I understand what you are saying but maybe not.

Wouldn't it be great for once of everyone just said job well done, and move on! Euton, Trimble, Kidwell, Bradley...all deserved coach of the year. To say that any of them deserved it over the other would be impossible to prove. It's all about opinions, and the ones that counted voted for Kidwell. Perhaps Scooter and Intentional could come up with a formula as to who truly deserves COY, which in turn could be used every year. Perhaps the BCS would have some input as to how to go about doing this:)

Wouldn't it be great for once of everyone just said job well done' date=' and move on! Euton, Trimble, Kidwell, Bradley...all deserved coach of the year. To say that any of them deserved it over the other would be impossible to prove. It's all about opinions, and the ones that counted voted for Kidwell. Perhaps Scooter and Intentional could come up with a formula as to who truly deserves COY, which in turn could be used every year. Perhaps the BCS would have some input as to how to go about doing this:)[/quote']

Great point Dad - exactly the points I've been trying to make the last 3 days. :thumb:

I remember when Jeff Hall was state coach of the year in 2002 but received absolutely zero votes from his fellow coaches in the 16th Region for area coach of the year. At the time, Coach Hall found it humorous and realized that he accomplished much more than mere wins. I'm sure Coach Euton feels the same.

I also feel sure that Coach Euton would not trade either of her regional championships and trips to the state tournament for the COY award. I'm sure the winner would gladly make that trade.

It seems that we all agree that the vote was subjective- as to criteria used, as to personalities, or as to a combination of both. Thus, it is probably best to just move on and to learn the lessons taught by the experience.

I remember when Jeff Hall was state coach of the year in 2002 but received absolutely zero votes from his fellow coaches in the 16th Region for area coach of the year. At the time, Coach Hall found it humorous and realized that he accomplished much more than mere wins. I'm sure Coach Euton feels the same.

I also feel sure that Coach Euton would not trade either of her regional championships and trips to the state tournament for the COY award. I'm sure the winner would gladly make that trade.

It seems that we all agree that the vote was subjective- as to criteria used, as to personalities, or as to a combination of both. Thus, it is probably best to just move on and to learn the lessons taught by the experience.

I think that Coach Hicks from Scott Co. got COY statewide and not in his region a few years ago.