Grant County

I would not disagree that strength of schedule is very important & a gradual strengthening has begun & you are right, necessary, but not all at once. Trimble, Oldham & N.Oldham were all added to the schedule this past season. However, Grant County has been rebuilding a program and you cannot downplay what has been accomplished in the last few years. The program has come a long way. Of course there is more to be done, but to say they don't have talent? Schools they are beating now are the same schools, small & large, that were whipping Grant County & counting GC as the easy win a couple of seasons ago. So, if I follow your reasoning, the "talent" at the other schools has diminished & Grant County's has stayed the same?

You can compare programs. Ludlow is another program that has come a long way & an argument could be made that they should step up their schedule. Enrollment is not the only indicator of what a school should be accomplishing or what talent may be available. How you "manage" the athletes, as a community, as coaches & as parents is a better indicator for programs on the rise. I have seen comments on several posts in the past regarding off season work with rec teams & going the extra mile to improve. The younger generations coming up through the school system in Grant Co are starting to do that. More & more are venturing into leagues, parents are working with kids at home & becoming actively involved in nurturing their athletes, at the HS & more importantly, at the middle school & elementary levels. Not just girls basketball, but other sports as well, including football. I think the same could be said for the girls program at Ludlow.

There are several girls at GC now that ARE talented & would be active players on any other program's roster, including the Oldham's, Shelby's, Connor's, Ryle's of the world. Overcoming a few injuries? Yes. Catching up in skill & experience to the Oldham's, Shelby's, Connor's, Ryle's of the world? Yes. Learning? Yes. Learning to compete? Yes. Learning to win? Yes.

Second Chair, Coach Robinson has camps planned & is anxious to get started. In addition, a group of players are playing at SOAS with a couple of parents who wanted to keep as many as possible playing while the coaching change was happening. One Varsity player is on a AAU team in Cincinnati & many younger players from the middle school are also playing in leagues. This outside activity could not have been said about the teams from several years ago, when the only players playing outside of school were Leslie Garnett & the current player in AAU. That was it. Now? Lots of them are in youth leagues & other activites outside of school basketball. The parents that involved the girls at SOAS this year have been doing this for several years now. I can remember several years ago at the beginning of tryouts for my daughter at the middle school, coach asks how many worked over the summer & over 3/4 of the girls said they had not touched a ball since the previous season. That is not true anymore.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Has anyone noticed that there has been no public announcement regarding the new head coach? The only thing I know first hand is that Robinson called a meeting for the team this past Monday & told the girls he was coach & that no decision was made on JV or Freshman positions & he was planning camps for June. The local paper was out yesterday, no mention.

Has anyone noticed that there has been no public announcement regarding the new head coach? The only thing I know first hand is that Robinson called a meeting for the team this past Monday & told the girls he was coach & that no decision was made on JV or Freshman positions & he was planning camps for June. The local paper was out yesterday, no mention.

I am not sure but I believe that a new kid on the block is coming to Grant Co. I think that Grant may still be searching for a coach. I guess maybe soon they will let everyone know what is going on.

I am not sure but I believe that a new kid on the block is coming to Grant Co. I think that Grant may still be searching for a coach. I guess maybe soon they will let everyone know what is going on.

I heard Lance resigned after taking the job..What's the latest news in Dry Ridge?

Good Luck 24smom! I know it has to be difficult for the girls to not have a coach right now. Especially those that want to play at the next level because it is so important for them to be working this summer!

I am sure that they will get someone soon and good luck to Grant County!

Don't know what school he is from, but a coach that lives in Williamsburg was in town yesterday checking out the area.

Just heard from my daughter, had a team meeting today. Robinson explained why he resigned & she said her new coach IS...... Guffy from Whitley Co! Any insight about the new fella from BGPrs out there? As far as I know, he has never coached girls, but was on the boys side. Did not coach last year.

• 3 weeks later...

He lost his coaching job at Whitley after the 2005 season. He only won a few games and ran off a very talented player. The administration was not impressed with his coaching or how he handled the situation with the player. They had him driving a school bus this school year.

True, he did run off a very talented player who would not follow team rules and placed himself above the team. The team was actually better without him. Plus, that kid now stops in and hangs with Guff from time to time. The kid knows he was wrong. He CHOSE to drive a bus. His willingness to get up at 5:30 or so demonstrates his work ethic. Has the administration there been impressed with ANY coach the past few years? Unless your related to the Sup. G.C. got a good one!!!!!! Great hire, great person!!!!!

He lost his coaching job at Whitley after the 2005 season. He only won a few games and ran off a very talented player. The administration was not impressed with his coaching or how he handled the situation with the player. They had him driving a school bus this school year.

I bet the bus driving gig was better...better hours less head ache and more money.

I bet the bus driving gig was better...better hours less head ache and more money.

NO WAY is driving a bus in Grant Co a better gig right now....he applied for the right job here, although I have to say that the team is a bit more chaotic right now than he would probably like...although losing seniors is always tough (had 2 this past season) we have now lost a senior to be (Hensley has left the district) & another senior to be is still battling injury & health issues (Johnson). Rumour also has it that another player (sophomore this year) is struggling with issues outside of school & may not return next season.

True, he did run off a very talented player who would not follow team rules and placed himself above the team. The team was actually better without him. Plus, that kid now stops in and hangs with Guff from time to time. The kid knows he was wrong. He CHOSE to drive a bus. His willingness to get up at 5:30 or so demonstrates his work ethic. Has the administration there been impressed with ANY coach the past few years? Unless your related to the Sup. G.C. got a good one!!!!!! Great hire, great person!!!!!

I'm not saying anything bad about the guy. I was only stating what happened. He lost his coaching position, he ran off a talented player, he drove a bus. Getting up at 5:30 AM does not demonstrate work ethic. It means you are like everyone else and have bills to pay. Whitley Co. has ran off several coaches over the years. However, if they are valuable some where else to the school system, they (WCHS) will keep them. If Guffy was an Anderson, he would still be there. He would not be driving a bus or getting up at 5:30 am.