3 More Rams Choose KCU

Ram

3 more Rams choose KCU

Grant Traylor/The Independent

Raceland — On Tuesday afternoon, Scott Grizzle’s main focus was on the mound as he and his teammates prepared to travel to Lawrence County.

However, once the baseball season ends, Grizzle will trade in his baseball glove for a helmet and pads along with teammates J.T. Forrest, Benji Mullins and Clinton Thompson, who committed earlier this spring. Grizzle was once thought to be wanting to play baseball at the collegiate level, but once the opportunity at KCU opened up, it was a decision the southpaw signal-caller could not pass up.

“Football is my passion,” Grizzle said. “It is the first sport that I fell in love with and having the opportunity to play at the next level and help start a program is something that appealed to me.”

Grizzle has a decided advantage playing the quarterback position in KCU coach Dane Damron’s system, coming from the Air Raid under coach Randy Vanderhoof. Both Damron and Vanderhoof love to opening up the offensive playbook and utilizing athleticism in their schemes.

“We are both a little wide open and that could really help Scott,” Vanderhoof said. “I’m sure the terminology is different, but as far as the feel of the offense, it is a great chance for him. Scott had a great career for us as did everyone that is heading there.”

Mullins was one of Grizzle’s favorite targets in the Air Raid offense, but the versatile player who shined on special teams and both sides of the ball expects to join the defensive unit.

Until recently, Mullins was unsure whether his football career would continue, but in the end, it was a combination of love for the game plus a close proximity to home that made the decision for him.

“KCU is really close to home and that factored into it for me,” Mullins said. “It’s a smaller school too. I didn’t want to go to a bigger school, and my teammates are there so it was the best fit for me.”

Forrest, who led Raceland’s linebacking corps last season, also was exciting to get to join his teammates on the field along with some of the best players from the region.

The friendly competition between players from different area schools will definitely add to the excitement of building the program.

“We are going to have some fun,” Forrest said. “All of us had fun here at Raceland and that was a main part of our success and we plan on that going with us. Also, it will be nice to say in 30 years when people talk about KCU football that I was on the very first team there.”

While Forrest also said he wanted to take Vanderhoof with him to share in the excitement, the values of the coach remain in his players.

Still, he had a couple comments for his band of seniors before they embarked on their college football careers.

“The main thing for these guys is going to class,” Vanderhoof said. “If they concentrate on going to class, along with enjoying the full college experience that KCU has to offer, it will be a great opportunity for them.”

GRANT TRAYLOR can be reached at gtraylor@dailyindependent.com or (606) 326-2664.

congratulations to three deserving rams. I wish the best for the entire team. I think that brings the total to one past ram Todd Joseph and four new rams. Work hard in the classroom and play hard on the field. GO Knights!