Official Thank You Tubby Thread....

UKMustangFan

Let me be the first to say thank you to Tubby and his wife for the way they have handled themselves during their time here in the Bluegrass state. Never once was a bad word uttered about the class and dignity of Tubby or Donna. They represented the university, the state, and themselves as well as anyone could ever imagine. They put up with tons of harsh criticism (most of which was unwarrented) and did so with the utmost class. Tubby had success here and for that I thank you. Sure the past two seasons haven't been what UK fans have hoped for, but you had a great run. You will always be my favorite coach, and you will be missed.:cry:

It was an honor to have you as a coach, and good luck with the Gophers!:thumb:

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No doubt! Thanks for the 5 regular season SEC championships, the 5 SEC tournament championships, 6 Sweet 16's, 3 Elite 8's, 1 National Title, 263 wins, and being classy to the end. All the best in Minnesota(crap I am going to have to root for a little 10 team now)!!!

I appreciate everything you did for our Basketball Program and representing our University and State the way that you did. You were a great ambassador and will continue to be. It is hard to find coaches at the highest level with the moral character that you displayed. Good luck at the University of Minnesota.

As a Kentucky fan I was honored to have Tubby & Donna Smith at UK. They lived their lives each day with class and integrity and both can make their way into Minnesota with their heads held high.

I have nothing but respect for Tubby and the Smith Family and their presence at UK and in the State of Kentucky will surely be missed.

Thank you Mr. & Mrs Smith for all your hard work and dedication to our great Commonmwealth. I wish you and your family nothing but the best.

No one and I mean no one could have won more games with the teams he had at UK. Remember the night in Nashville when the Cats finally bought in to what Tubby was teaching? They demolished a good Vandy team in the second half and went on to win something like 26 in a row...AMAZING. Tubby got a lot out of the talent he had to work with. He was never afraid to go to his reserves and they seemed to usually respond well.He has had some selfish players of late that would not buy in to his team concept and that selfishness kept the teams from achieving more. Smith may be a bit too loyal to his own detriment. In the end, he could not dismiss members of his staff that needed to go. The Tubster is an excellent coach, without a doubt, and will have the Gophers in the upper echelon of the Big Ten very soon. Tubby had a tremendous record at UK and represented the university with class. Orlando Smith followed a handsome, slick , dapper, exciteable Italian who played an exciteable brand of basketball and won titles. This , along with being African -American ,was why many Kentuckians never really took to Tubby. If the Cats didn't win national titles every year, these "fans" were never going to accept Smith. The Tubby bashers, whether they realize it or not ,lost a good coach today. More importantly, they lost an even better citizen.

As I said on another thread this day is an ebarassment as a UK fan. To have a coach with such character, dignity, class and morals be made to feel he is not appreciated at UK, is a total embarasment. I hope Tubby knows how much I and many many other fans do truely appreciate the job he has done and the way he did it.

I want to thank Tubby for all the hard work he has put in over the years. I want to thank you for all the memories you brought us. I want to thank you for winning us another national title and many sec titles. I want to thank you for putting teams together for the most part that was capable of a final four birth, but just came up a little short. I want to thank you for the class you ran this program with. I also want to apologize for all the criticism you took while here, no man should have had to put up with as much as you put up. Yet you did and you did it with class all the way to the end. You are now the coach of my 2nd favorite team in the country, and I wish you the best of luck!