16th Region Officials

I want to state first of all, that with all due respect and in no way, shape or form, do I personally attack or degrade any offical as a person, his/her character or integrity. I want to apologize to 16th Region Official Paul Lewis for what may have been a harmless and misinterpreted phrase being said at recent local basketball games. The phrase, "Good Call Paul!", was being chanted or screamed at other officials when they have made a bad, or at times even good calls. This was done in fun and not meant to be hurtful to Paul Lewis.

It is to my understanding that Mr. Leiws has recieved phone calls from other Officials stating that I and others have made harmful statements about him on BGP's, nothing could be further from the truth (Check out all my posts).

I have known Paul Lewis since around 1984, and played for him on a AAU team that also had Clarence Thompson, Shawn Conley and Rece Ryan. Paul has done a lot for the kids of our community over the last 25 years that I personally know of. I publicly apologize to you Paul Lewis.

Now having stated my apology, I must go forward with certain remarks of criticism towards the culprits that have called him and stirred the pot of anger within him. IMO, Paul Lewis along with Marla Gearheart are two of the best officials we have had at RH, most others call the game very lopsided and may I add, not in our favor. RH girls never have homecooking because most officials will not enter the kitchen of Fairness. Take it however you want it.

Since I will no longer be using the phrase, "Good Call Paul!", I have come up with some new ones, I trust you will fill in the blanks.

"It's a Shamey R_____________"

"It's a basket-ball Bobby __________________"

"It's a Foul on Maroon, Bobby ______________"

"She's checking with her Hand, B____ - M____"

"OOh that was Nice, Mr. ___________"

"Call it Even, John ________________"

"They're a Cry-in, Joe _____________"

Once again, I apologize to Mr. Lewis. They say that imitation is the sincerest form of flattery. I hope that you are now flattered. All joking aside, I personally think that Paul and Marla do an outstanding job as officials because they make calls when it happens, they do not anticipate or predetermine that a player is going to foul or get fouled. And for the record, I do admire any person that dons the stripes, I would not have that job for a million dollars, hats off to you all, just remember its all in fun that we do what what we do.

Sincerely,

Big Bubba

Paul Lewis is one of our better officials and I have missed him in the boy's Regional. He contributes in so many ways to youth sports in our area and it is a shame that some choose to hurl insults instead of recognize his gifts. Good post, Bubba.

I personally think that Paul and Marla do an outstanding job as officials because they make calls when it happens, they do not anticipate or predetermine that a player is going to foul or get fouled. And for the record, I do admire any person that dons the stripes, I would not have that job for a million dollars, hats off to you all, just remember its all in fun that we do what what we do.

Sincerely,

Big Bubba

"Good Call BigBubba".

...just remember its all in fun that we do what what we do.

Sincerely,

Big Bubba

I'm sure it's hard for them to remember when nutjobs like the two of us...and a certain guy who tends to get physical when he gets excited...get going in the stands, but I'm glad you reminded them. I have to say that the few 16th Region officials I've had the pleasure of speaking with away from the court have sure been gracious and seem to understand that, in most cases, the perpetrators are crazy dads...and some moms...fans and friends who are just trying to express the emotion of the moment and that it is all very quickly forgotten.

A word about the Regional Finals Officials. They called a good game, there were times that Chinwe' probably should have been called for over the back calls and there were times that Queen and Terry probably should have been called as well but the pansophism that these arbitrators of the hardwood displayed was very, well lets just say, it was urbane. Thanks for letting the players decide the outcome and for keeping the game under control. Merle Kidwell showed he is a class person, thanks for coming back after everyone left and congratulating the RH players, would have been easy to do in the spotlight but what you did was nice of you. Hats off to Coach Euton, the Tar Heel Blue outfit threw everyone completely out of kilter including but not limited to the officials, players, coaches,and two fat guys arguing about it in the stands. Maybe when there is a coaching change in Lexington you will change colors? Tar Hill Blue try Booger Green. So having said my farewll speech to the 16th region officials, I end my post with these phrases:

Its a Shamey __________________

Its a Basket-Ball, Bobby ___________________

and to you Marla, your parents named you well because Big Bubba cannot figure out anything that Rhymes with your first or last name.

Are there any good officials in the 16? I guess if there is people to choose from somebody has to be the best, kind of like the best player on the worst team???

Why not come out and give it a try yourself? Be pro-active. Don't just sit and complain, do something about it. Register with the state and come out and call if you think the officials are bad. If you knew the mechanics and everything else that went into officiating a ballgame, I would bet my last dollar that you would have a change of heart. You must realize that's it's unrealistic to think that officials are going to get every call right, it's just not going to happen. An official could have called a great game but if he or she misses one call, no matter how miniscual a call it is, that's the one call that you will remember and then you'll say "he 's horrible" or my all-time favorite " That's Ridiculous". If you think you can do better, come on out. I'm sure the assiciation would love to have ya, maybe they could teach you a thing or two about offciating. Now would be the perfect time to join. There will be a changing of the guard and everyone will be on an equal playing field from the start.

Guest American Skier
Paul Lewis is one of our better officials and I have missed him in the boy's Regional. He contributes in so many ways to youth sports in our area and it is a shame that some choose to hurl insults instead of recognize his gifts. Good post, Bubba.

Could not agree more about your assesment of Paul Lewis. I will guarantee you there is not a coach; school administrator; teacher; parent; or official who cares more about the kids that what Paul does. He genuinely cares about the game and the involvement of our youth in the communtiy!!!!

Why not come out and give it a try yourself? Be pro-active. Don't just sit and complain, do something about it. Register with the state and come out and call if you think the officials are bad. If you knew the mechanics and everything else that went into officiating a ballgame, I would bet my last dollar that you would have a change of heart. You must realize that's it's unrealistic to think that officials are going to get every call right, it's just not going to happen. An official could have called a great game but if he or she misses one call, no matter how miniscual a call it is, that's the one call that you will remember and then you'll say "he 's horrible" or my all-time favorite " That's Ridiculous". If you think you can do better, come on out. I'm sure the assiciation would love to have ya, maybe they could teach you a thing or two about offciating. Now would be the perfect time to join. There will be a changing of the guard and everyone will be on an equal playing field from the start.

What on earth would you know about being an official?

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Truly you are one of the best.

Bubba and I have went around and around on this before, so I will not rehash the argument, but I also invite anyone who wants to bash officials to join the ranks and give it a try. Even youth league, Upward basketball, or some Pee Wee basketball. It is not as easy as it looks!

My own personal opinion over the past couple of years is that we should position officials in the stands and one on each bench. Because apparently the view from these positions are superior to actually being on the floor and 5 feet away from the action.

My own personal opinion over the past couple of years is that we should position officials in the stands and one on each bench. Because apparently the view from these positions are superior to actually being on the floor and 5 feet away from the action.

And one at the broadcast table. I have often heard the announcer say he/she missed that one.:thumb:

Bubba and I have went around and around on this before, so I will not rehash the argument, but I also invite anyone who wants to bash officials to join the ranks and give it a try. Even youth league, Upward basketball, or some Pee Wee basketball. It is not as easy as it looks!

Go Radio, please do not stir the pot. Did you read the end of my post? I am not arguing with you, and further more, I agree with you, so jump on the other guys on here, I am too busy watching my back on other threads to watch you too. :thumb:

Seriously though, I just believe that there needs to be a higher level of consistency with officials, dont let them kill each other for 3 quarters then start calling touch fouls, thats all, no more no less.