St. Mary 49 Graves Co. 32

Graves beat them by nine and 13 points during the season, so I would think it's an upset.

What's the verdict, westsider?

Not really an upset. Everyone in this area knew this was a tough game for Graves County.

St. Mary looked like the 1st Region's best team in December and would have been a contender to win the All A Classic. Then each of their top two players (both Division I baseball signees) went down with injuries. Gabriel Shaw (P, Louisville) had surgery to repair a problem in the knuckle on his throwing hand. Jonathan Roof (IF, Michigan State) broke a bone in his hand in the first loss to Graves.

They have other health issues, too ... their point guard from last year tore an ACL this summer and didn't return until late December. The other guard has been playing with a stress fracture in his foot (his second stress fracture in two seasons) since the first couple of weeks of the season.

Roof just returned to the team a couple of weeks ago. He's an exceptional athlete who has been one of the region's top 10 players the last two years.

As for Graves ... they seemed to hit the wall about 2-3 weeks ago, with tough losses to Calloway County, Christian County (who was down two starters) and Mayfield for the second time this season. Mayfield earned the top seed for the district tournament, putting Graves against St. Mary.

While this may be an upset for people across the state it is not that big of an upset for people that have witnessed 1st Region basketball this year. Graves County has struggled offensively all season long and was forced to play an extreme slow down game with most nights only scoring in the low to mid 40's. St. Mary as Westside pointed out has had injuries to their star players, but that forced the Vikings to find other go-to players and last night that played into the hands of St. Mary who had other players other than Roof step up and drain big time shots. If they get Gabriel Shaw back then they can be a very dangerous team to beat in the Regionals.

Right now I would have to say that rating the teams in the region that are left would be Tilghman, Marshall County, Calloway, Mayfield, St. Mary as the top five and the ones that could very well win the Regional Tournament. Should be very interesting as always over at Murray State next week.

I hear there are kids walking the halls that could beat the team. I Hear a lot of them don't want to play for Hatcher. Rumors are he doesn't really want kids to play two sports (football & basketball) and lets kids know they will be penalized if they do so.

I hear there are kids walking the halls that could beat the team. I Hear a lot of them don't want to play for Hatcher. Rumors are he doesn't really want kids to play two sports (football & basketball) and lets kids know they will be penalized if they do so.
Two starters and a key reserve on this team were football players.

I work with players that have played for Hatcher and they said if they had it to do over they would not do it again. One of which played both and was told if he played football he would lose his starting position. Hatcher's theory is win at anybodys expense right or wrong. Just look at last years star center, kicked off as a junior, played as a senior but was suspended for discipline reasons as senior and let back on the team, but Hatcher knew he could not win without him as evidenced by the 04-05 season.