SSF's 12th Region Round-Up Final Poll

Mike Fields of the Lexington Herald-Leader predicts that West Jessamine will win the 12th region... and that's a good prediction, but there are about 7 other teams that also look like good predictions. Here is the final poll of the 06-07 basketball season.

1. Lincoln County (20-8, 14-2)

The Patriots started the season #1 and they'll end the season there. A few miscues against 12th region powers Boyle and McCreary kept the Patriots from running the table in the region. They're playing good basketball, but not the best that they could be. Barely slipping by Casey at home, and Rockcastle and Paul Dunbar on the road have this team a little sketchy. They'll make the region tournament, but I don't expect them to get to Rupp.

2. West Jessamine (17-9, 11-3)

Hammonds' Colts are 6-6 outside of the region, and that doesn't look impressive if they make the state tournament, which is very likely where they'll be. They've won their last 8 against 12th region competition and have a stiffling defense. Expect West Jessamine to make a serious run at the region championship.

3. Pulaski County (19-9, 7-7)

The Maroons had their 7 game winning streak snapped at West Jessamine, but a win at Boyle County boosted their confidence. Their schedule hasn't been the toughest, but they're winning the ones they should and a few that they shouldn't. A lot of the time, you say that the team goes as one player goes. Vice versa for this team... If John Perkins tries to do to much, they'll be back home quickly. If they play like a team, they can find themselves far in the region tourney, but I don't expect for them to make a serious run at the title, although I wouldn't be suprised to see them at Rupp.

4. McCreary Central (20-7, 8-5)

The Raiders aren't playing their best basketball, but they're winning, and that's what you have to do to make it to Rupp. Bartley is playing his best basketball of the season after his knee surgery and they weren't at a full load against Somerset and Williamsburg, when they went 1-1. McCreary is 5-2 outside of their district with impressive wins at Lincoln and East. They went 2-for-2 against Pulaski this year, but both are very even. When McCreary hits their shots, they're tough to beat. If they can cut down on the turnovers, they'll make a run at the regional title... that is, if they get past Wayne County in the first round of the district tournament.

5. Somerset (13-13, 11-5)

The Briar Jumpers have had a disappointing season, but they have the talent to do some damage in the region tournament. When Somerset plays team ball and rebounds the basketball, they do good... in contrast, if they try to become more one-on-one and and fail to rebound, they fail at winning. They're 2-8 outside of the region, which doesn't bode well whenever comparing to other possible teams at Rupp, but they've won their last two against regional opponents.

6. Mercer County (17-11, 6-8)

The Titans season started out great, then went downhill quicky, but they're back and poised to make a trip to the region tournament. Cundiff's Titans are playing great ball, with four straight wins, including a win at Southwestern. Mercer plays East Jessamine in their opening round game for the district tournament, and even though they went 0-2 against the Jags, they lost by a combined 9 points and an overtime. If Mercer gets by the Jags, they can make some noise in the region tournament. Don't expect them to win the crown, but for the first year Titans, they've had a pretty good season.

7. Boyle County (14-12, 11-4)

The Rebels record is far from impressive compared to last season. They were on a run again before losing three of their last four, including two to out-of-region teams. A loss to Pulaski County at home drops them down the list. If the Rebels would have came out on top there, they would be a team that would be hot enough to win the regional title. I never count out the Rebels and a Bottoms-coached team, and although their record isn't impressive, I think they'll make a strong run at the regional title for a second straight year.

8. East Jessamine (14-13, 8-5)

East Jessamine has had a difficult season, to say the least. The lost at West Jessamine by one on a last second shot by Fain. They lost be three at home to LCA, and then lose by three at Wayne County. The Jaguars haven't been able to win the close games. Their 5-7 in games decided by 5 points or less, which doesn't figure well if they want to win in the region tournament. Most teams that make it to the region tournament are all similar and East won't have an advantage against many if any, when that is the case, that sets up a close game and East doesn't do well in them.

9. Southwestern (15-10, 9-8)

The Warriors season is far from what it was last year. They are again the #1 seed in the 48th, with their only loss in the district coming at McCreary, but they've dropped several games since then. They're 3-5 since their loss to McCreary, including dropping three at home by a combined 9 points. They were blown out by #1 Lincoln and their season is crumbling beneath them. If they get by Monticello, don't expect them to stay long in the region tournament unless their outside shooting gets really hot.

10. Monticello (7-20, 1-9)

A lot of people will disagree with me on this one, but the Trojans are playing their best basketball in years. After getting a new coach halfway through the season, they have sextupled their win total. It's not known if Upchruch will return next season, but if he does, you can expect a .500+ season out of the Trojans.

Players of the Year:

John Perkins, Pulaski County, 6-3 Sr. F

Perkins can score with anyone in the region, as shown by his league leading numbers. When he plays with the team, he can score, and Pulaski can win.

Spencer Perrin, Boyle County, 6-4 Sr. F

His combination of strength, speed and skill could send Boyle back to the state tournament. As he goes, Boyle goes.

Aaron Watts, McCreary Central, 6-2 Fr. G

Possibly the best in the region, and will certainly be for years to come.

Keith Price, Casey County, 6-7 Sr. C

Put Price on McCreary, Lincoln, or West Jessamine and their the consensius #1.

Casey Dalton, Southwestern, 6-0 Sr. G

Dalton is a scorer, plain and simple. If he doesn't score, then Southwestern is lost.

Braxton Miller, Lincoln County, 5-11 Sr. G

Miller's speed and strength would make him a standout on many teams, but he is going to lead Lincoln County to a nice run in the region tournament.

Justin Sanders, East Jessamine, 6-2 Sr. F

An offensive force for the Jags. Expect big things from him in the postseason.

Chase Wofford, Mercer County, 6-3 Sr. F

Wofford can score, but he does his best work on the boards. He will take Mercer as far as they'll go this year.

John Cole, Somerset, 5-11 Jr. G

A leader on the floor with Somerset. When he plays good, Somerset plays good.

Zack Fain, West Jessamine. Sr.

Clutch. Can score with the best of them and can lead the Colts to the promise land.

I thought the 15th was weak this year. I stand corrected its the 12th. Sayre would run through this region if they were there. Kinda!!!

What does that statement have to do with either of the first two? Sayre is not in the 15th, they are in the 11th. And from looking at Sayre's resume I don't see anything to convince me that Sayre would even represent the 12th in the All "A".

That was one of the lessons I was referring to, when you have players who don't play team ball, it can be a problem(and when the coaching allows it to continue, another problem). It cost them several games this year. But we learn from our mistakes and grow from them.