Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Tush Push to be Outlawed?

Featured Replies

It seems as if an unnamed team (thought to be the Packers) has put forward a proposal to ban the Tush Push. 

Should it be banned or not?

I’m 100% against making it illegal, if it isn’t already. The Packers owner is being a huge crybaby. What if his team was getting a first down every time doing the Packers sweep, would he be in favor of that being outlawed?

I think it is a matter of time before some QBs doing it get injured. 

  • Author

It will take 75% of team owners support for the proposal to pass.

They were referencing an existing NFL rule that it was already illegal but the officials have not been calling it.  The source was from the radio but they reading from the rule book.  Not sure if the interpretation was correct or not.   The rule basically said it was illegal for another offensive player to push the ball carrier.  I will leave it up the BGP community to verify that information.  

15 hours ago, Jumper_Dad said:

It seems as if an unnamed team (thought to be the Packers) has put forward a proposal to ban the Tush Push. 

Should it be banned or not?

Based on history, this is right up Mike Browns alley.

Aiding a runner has been a rule at different levels for years.  They actually started calling it a little this year in HS, probably to make sure the "tush push" didn't get popular at the lower levels.

1 hour ago, FatNate said:

They were referencing an existing NFL rule that it was already illegal but the officials have not been calling it.  The source was from the radio but they reading from the rule book.  Not sure if the interpretation was correct or not.   The rule basically said it was illegal for another offensive player to push the ball carrier.  I will leave it up the BGP community to verify that information.  

When the tush push started happening, the first thing I thought was that it was illegal to push a ball carrier. As it kept happening I just assumed the rule was changed.

3 minutes ago, Voice of Reason said:

When the tush push started happening, the first thing I thought was that it was illegal to push a ball carrier. As it kept happening I just assumed the rule was changed.

Wasn't that the entire issue behind the USC/Notre Dame game 20 years ago when Bush pushed Leinert into the end zone? It seems like from that point forward not only has it happened more, but it has even seemed to be encouraged. I don't know if it should be allowed or not, but they definitely need to follow the rule, whatever it is.

Are we banning football plays that are too successful now? The interesting part is the Bills attempted 3 sneaks without success against the Ravens. It's the people doing the play that are leading to success, not the play itself. 

I'm generally in the "if you don't like something, then stop it" camp. This is different, and I don't have a strong reason for it other than the offense already has immense advantages, and it does not add value to the game. I liken it to the Patriots manipulating the eligible vs. ineligible receiver rules several years ago. They were not breaking any rules, but they were breaking the spirit of the game. The NFL put an end to it quickly.

I don't see them eliminating it, but I do see the NFL putting some guardrails around what they are and are not allowed to do (e.g. use of hands to push, etc).  In the end (as most things go with the NFL), the rule will end up being even more confusing.

1 hour ago, gchs_uk9 said:

Wasn't that the entire issue behind the USC/Notre Dame game 20 years ago when Bush pushed Leinert into the end zone? It seems like from that point forward not only has it happened more, but it has even seemed to be encouraged. I don't know if it should be allowed or not, but they definitely need to follow the rule, whatever it is.

It has been allowed in the NFL for 20 years. College was banned until 10 years ago +/- though there are some caveats, such as you cannot carry a runner.

I see the debate in this being player safety. The QB is the most protected player in the NFL. Anti tush push people are going to say it is a QB safety concern.

If it stays legal, I see more teams bringing a RB, TE, perhaps even a LB or DL in to run the tush push. 

It should be illegal. 

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.