2024 Paducah Tilghman Blue Tornado

2 hours ago, CAT DIESEL POWER said:

How do you define good? Graves was 8-4 last year didn't win their district and was put out of the playoff 51-3. They were put out by the eventual state title winner in that class but even in RPI they finished 11th in their class. All of this in a class that most people don't consider to be very strong right now. So do you care to elaborate on why you consider them to be a good opponent?

Whoever doesn't think that 5A football is good especially in the West does not know much about high school football.

For discussion purposes in this thread here is our final 5A poll from 2023:

1. Highlands

2. Bowling Green

3. South Warren

4. Scott County

5. Cooper

6. Southwestern

7. Madisonville-North Hopkins

8. Woodford County

9. Owensboro

10. Greenwood

11. Graves County

12. Dixie Heights

13. North Laurel

14. Atherton

15. Grayson County

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, snakesnot_2000 said:

Graves was a decent team. Nothing more, nothing less.

PT has to come to War Memorial this year. I like our chances......again.

I am super excited for the PT/Mayfield game but if PT can't beat Mayfield I am not even sure I can force my brain to think about PT playing Boyle County. 

32 minutes ago, zoneblitz24 said:

Whoever doesn't think that 5A football is good especially in the West does not know much about high school football.

I don't think I said they were not good I believe the word I used was strong. Across the board they are not strong but there are a few good teams. When you look at other classes they had several contenders while 5A simply did not. Not knocking them at all but to call a team who finished 11th in RPI and then got smoked in round two good is a bit of a stretch.

1. If PT replaces Russellville with a team equal to Graves County, their schedule will be in the top 10 in 4A in SOS.

2. If PT wants to beat Boyle County, they should replace Russellville with the best opponent they can find, hopefully someone approaching Trinity level.

27 minutes ago, CAT DIESEL POWER said:

I don't think I said they were not good I believe the word I used was strong. Across the board they are not strong but there are a few good teams. When you look at other classes they had several contenders while 5A simply did not. Not knocking them at all but to call a team who finished 11th in RPI and then got smoked in round two good is a bit of a stretch.

Not many teams play the State Champion and top 10 team in the entire state in the 2nd round either.  I would say using the RPI ranking as a judge of how good a team is doesn't make much sense either.  Graves was a top 10 team in 5A last year in my opinion and they proved it with some of their wins.  If you were to take the #1 team and State Champion and have them play the #10 team in their class most of the time you will see a blowout especially if the lower ranked team is on the road. Even if you wanna use the RPI to judge a team on how good or "strong" you think they are only 10 teams being better than you with an interim coach and a JR heavy team I think Graves had a heck of a season last year.

18 minutes ago, zoneblitz24 said:

Not many teams play the State Champion and top 10 team in the entire state in the 2nd round either.  I would say using the RPI ranking as a judge of how good a team is doesn't make much sense either.  Graves was a top 10 team in 5A last year in my opinion and they proved it with some of their wins.  If you were to take the #1 team and State Champion and have them play the #10 team in their class most of the time you will see a blowout especially if the lower ranked team is on the road. Even if you wanna use the RPI to judge a team on how good or "strong" you think they are only 10 teams being better than you with an interim coach and a JR heavy team I think Graves had a heck of a season last year.

I respect your opinion and we will just have to agree to disagree. Even on preps which is a much better ranking system than the RPI Graves was 11th which is obviously not top 10. I wish PT the best of luck on the year but their schedule isn't great in my opinion.

9 minutes ago, CAT DIESEL POWER said:

I respect your opinion and we will just have to agree to disagree. Even on preps which is a much better ranking system than the RPI Graves was 11th which is obviously not top 10. I wish PT the best of luck on the year but their schedule isn't great in my opinion.

Well I think beating 2 teams in the top 10 should probably place you in the top 10.

37 minutes ago, zoneblitz24 said:

Well I think beating 2 teams in the top 10 should probably place you in the top 10.

That feels like only considering two pieces of an eight piece pie. 

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, theguru said:

That feels like only considering two pieces of an eight piece pie. 

This quickly turned into a Graves County thread lol. I just think Graves is a much better team than they get credit for. Call some of the coaches who have coached against them and ask what their opinions are. I honestly believe Western KY football as a whole is better than a lot of people believe. 

• Like 2

I think if Paducah played at least 3 of the 4 of Mayfield, Bowling Green, Owensboro, and South Warren. Added a team from across the border that was solid. Then played their 5 team district that would go a ways for them. It doesn’t help a team with multiple 2-4 stars playing McCracken, Graves, Russellville, and Hendo. 

• Like 1

Does it really matter if PT plays a great schedule? Look at LCA the last couple of years, they played a phenomenal schedule, zero titles.  It will be what it will be, PT will get the job done or all the players they got (like LCA) will be for naught.

• Like 1

On 4/17/2024 at 8:47 PM, snakesnot_2000 said:

Does it really matter if PT plays a great schedule? Look at LCA the last couple of years, they played a phenomenal schedule, zero titles.  It will be what it will be, PT will get the job done or all the players they got (like LCA) will be for naught.

I really enjoys the times when we agree! To snakes point ...I think that LCA got a little to used to beating teams of high caliber ... at it gave them a sense normalcy.

Great point here. Obviously the schedule isn't ideal. If they approach it right ... it can be overcome. Having Mayfield on the schedule helps. Graves should be better as well. 

They certainly are not the only team in this state that deals with a not so great last 5 or 6 games in the regular season. They need to make sure their starters are playing into the 3rd quarter to stay sharp. There are lots of great schools who do it year after year.

On 4/19/2024 at 11:12 AM, gbballfan21 said:

I really enjoys the times when we agree! To snakes point ...I think that LCA got a little to used to beating teams of high caliber ... at it gave them a sense normalcy.

Great point here. Obviously the schedule isn't ideal. If they approach it right ... it can be overcome. Having Mayfield on the schedule helps. Graves should be better as well. 

They certainly are not the only team in this state that deals with a not so great last 5 or 6 games in the regular season. They need to make sure their starters are playing into the 3rd quarter to stay sharp. There are lots of great schools who do it year after year.

You don’t have to worry about them leaving starters in in the 3rd quarter no matter who they are playing and what the score is.

• Haha 1