Boom In Kentucky!!!

Jumper_Dad

Anyone else hear or feel a loud boom around 4:00 est or so today?

I know of people hearing it in Madison, Whitley, Wayne, Russell, McCreary and Pulaski counties. No news reports of a major explosion, so I'm left with it possibly being a sonic boom. A sonic boom could have been made by either a military aircraft or an meteor. Read people talking about things falling off of walls and doors/windows being rattled.

So did you hear it? If so where were you?

Do you know for sure what it was?

55 minutes ago, TheDeuce said:

Heard about it on Facebook, it was apparently blasting for road construction. But from the posts I saw, it sounded like a pretty big boom. 

Nah, I live near a rock quarry and I'm used to hearing that kind of blasting. Road construction wouldn't be heard 100 miles apart. This was heard at least from Richmond to Albany in southern Kentucky. I'm guessing it was heard much wider than that.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Jumper_Dad said:

Nah, I live near a rock quarry and I'm used to hearing that kind of blasting. Road construction wouldn't be heard 100 miles apart. This was heard at least from Richmond to Albany in southern Kentucky. I'm guessing it was heard much wider than that.

That's what the guy who posted it said as well. He didn't think there was anyway it was construction blasting, but nobody else offered any other explanations. 

From Google:

How far away can you hear the sound of a sonic boom? How far can a sonic boom be heard? It can be heard around one mile for every 1,000 feet of altitude. So an aircraft flying supersonic at 30,000 feet will spread a lateral boom about 30 miles. Jun 5, 2023.

===============

So the higher the altitude, the further the lateral boom will spread. 

52 minutes ago, theguru said:

From Google:

How far away can you hear the sound of a sonic boom? How far can a sonic boom be heard? It can be heard around one mile for every 1,000 feet of altitude. So an aircraft flying supersonic at 30,000 feet will spread a lateral boom about 30 miles. Jun 5, 2023.

===============

So the higher the altitude, the further the lateral boom will spread. 

So if a plane or meteor was crossing the state producing a sonic boom, then everyone along that path would hear it for 30 miles or more. This seems like the logical explanation for so many to hear it over such a wide area.

7 minutes ago, Jumper_Dad said:

So if a plane or meteor was crossing the state producing a sonic boom, then everyone along that path would hear it for 30 miles or more. This seems like the logical explanation for so many to hear it over such a wide area.

If the boom/explosion took place at 30,000 feet.  If it was a meteor and it exploded at 100,000ft it would be heard for 100 miles or more. 

• Like 1