Titanic submersible has imploded

GOREDDEVILS

This one certainly captivated a lot of folks.  It’s sad how lighthearted this was handled by so many on social media.  I’d be lying if I didn’t say I read the posts and memes etc, all of it and didn’t laugh but also sigh at the same time.  It’s sad that we’ve become this desensitized to the loss of human life.  I feel like the world knowing the passengers were all extremely wealthy, definitely played a part in that.  With that said, sometimes laughter is a coping mechanism for many of us, it’s a lot easier than reality.  

• Like 1

Play stupid games, win stupid prizes. I have zero empathy for the dudes that went down there, especially considering the CEO’s previous comments. 

Edit: I feel bad for the 19 year old, but still not the rest of them. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, sportsfan41 said:

This one certainly captivated a lot of folks.  It’s sad how lighthearted this was handled by so many on social media.  I’d be lying if I didn’t say I read the posts and memes etc, all of it and didn’t laugh but also sigh at the same time.  It’s sad that we’ve become this desensitized to the loss of human life.  I feel like the world knowing the passengers were all extremely wealthy, definitely played a part in that.  With that said, sometimes laughter is a coping mechanism for many of us, it’s a lot easier than reality.  

This is where I am at.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, TheDeuce said:

Play stupid games, win stupid prizes. I have zero empathy for the dudes that went down there, especially considering the CEO’s previous comments. 

Edit: I feel bad for the 19 year old, but still not the rest of them. 

What were his comments?

32 minutes ago, sportsfan41 said:

What were his comments?

"You know, at some point, safety just is pure waste," said Rush. "I mean, if you just want to be safe, don't get out of bed. Don't get in your car. Don't do anything. At some point, you're going to take some risk, and it really is a risk/reward question. I think I can do this just as safely by breaking the rules."

https://www.newsweek.com/stockton-rush-was-issued-dire-warning-submersible-titanic-expedition-1807992

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, TheDeuce said:

"You know, at some point, safety just is pure waste," said Rush. "I mean, if you just want to be safe, don't get out of bed. Don't get in your car. Don't do anything. At some point, you're going to take some risk, and it really is a risk/reward question. I think I can do this just as safely by breaking the rules."

https://www.newsweek.com/stockton-rush-was-issued-dire-warning-submersible-titanic-expedition-1807992

Considering the complexity and danger of doing this I was shocked to hear him say that in an interview.  

Here is a link that tells us about the Titan.  I would have to think our military (and others) have superior vessels that do the same thing without cutting any corners.

Titan is a Cyclops-class manned submersible designed to take five people to depths of 4,000 meters (13,123 feet) for site survey and inspection, research and data collection, film and media production, and deep sea testing of hardware and software. Through the innovative use of modern materials, Titan is lighter in weight and more cost efficient to mobilize than any other deep diving submersible. A combination of ground-breaking engineering and off-the-shelf technology gives Titan a unique advantage over other deep diving subs; the proprietary Real Time Hull Health Monitoring (RTM) systems provides an unparalleled safety feature that assesses the integrity of the hull throughout every dive. The use off-the-shelf components helped to streamline the construction, and makes it simple to operate and replace parts in the field.

Paired with a patented, integrated launch and recovery platform, Titan is easy to operate in varying sea states using a local appropriately sized ship for the project. In coastal waters this means we do not need a large support ship with a crane or A-frame.

https://oceangate.com/our-subs/titan-submersible.html

Read an interview with James Cameron and he said that building it out of carbon fiber was a huge mistake. While it is stronger and lighter than steel or aluminum, it's compression strength is comparatively low. 

Cameron has been to Titanic 30 times and has designed and built a submersible to go three times deeper, so I take what he says as expert knowledge. 

Additionally the CEO has said that he'd prefer a young crew for his operation over an older experienced crew. Saying younger people (even if inexperienced) are more inspiring than old experienced people. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Jumper_Dad said:

Read an interview with James Cameron and he said that building it out of carbon fiber was a huge mistake. While it is stronger and lighter than steel or aluminum, it's compression strength is comparatively low. 

Cameron has been to Titanic 30 times and has designed and built a submersible to go three times deeper, so I take what he says as expert knowledge. 

Additionally the CEO has said that he'd prefer a young crew for his operation over an older experienced crew. Saying younger people (even if inexperienced) are more inspiring than old experienced people. 

I saw Cameron on CNN last night, and his stance was pretty clear. In so many words he said the same arrogance that sunk the Titanic are what caused this incident. 

• Like 1